Unhappy with plastering work but unsure what to expect?

Members online

He rendered a small external wall for my mother. Charged £60 and it looked good. I based my judgement on that one wall, and a recommendation from my brother. Brother feels awful. My partner and I feel stupid.
It happens a lot more than you'd think so don't beat yourself up too much

Not holding out. Just not much known. Name is Andy, from Darlington. An acquaintance of my brother. He works full time plastering show homes - somewhere further south, and does private work on a weekend. That's all I know. Bigger fool me, huh?
The question is..is ur brother harder than him? If so I'm sure ull get ur money bk there is no excuse for it u shud get every penny bk and extra on top to pay for the higher quote ur going to get to go over his shite

He rendered a small external wall for my mother. Charged £60 and it looked good. I based my judgement on that one wall, and a recommendation from my brother. Brother feels awful. My partner and I feel stupid.
No need to feel stupid. If he is a friend of your brother.

Time + trauma = humour. At some point you'll (probably) laugh about it. Plus there's some mileage in the emotional blackmail of your brother. (y)

No need to feel stupid, just chalk it up and move on.

We also provide other services:estudioso:
IMG_4512.JPG

I think its good that the general public have somewhere to come and ask.... should help stop the chancers from getting too much work
I agree, I didn't meant it in a bad way boss.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I think its good that the general public have somewhere to come and ask.... should help stop the chancers from getting too much work

Not all that long ago the first response would have been asking for photo's with devil's dumplings on display. Everyone's far more professional than that now. (y)

I haven't handed over the money in full. I have paid him by the day but haven't paid him anything for the two days of skimming he has done, because until he started skimming I didn't know how bad a job he was doing - when he was boarding, I didn't have a clue how it should look.
Phone him and tell him that you aren't going to pay him the rest of his money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U havnt paid him for his skimming lol? Missed that bit..easy dont pay him a penny if he carrys on I'm willing to throw up a load of pics which u can show him..got skim on board and overskim if he wants to see them

Hi there

Firstly, I understand this is a forum for plasterers, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to go for advice so any help really would be appreciated.

It's sad to say; But you've been 'had' - and not a lot you can do now.
Also, don't assume because you're here that any offers to put it right by any of these members will guarantee a good job :-(

There's no substitute for 'Due Diligence', and genuine 'personal referrals' that you can double-check is the only way to go.

It's always going to be expensive putting a Cowboy's work right - you're going to have to bite the bullet, go for the wallet, or put up with that mess the idiot calls plastering.

If you DO happen to have his contact details, a trip to 'Trading Standards' might be worth a try.

Good luck :)

I don't think Trading Standards are of any use to us, because I don't think he's registered (I know, I know, I realise I'm an idiot) he works full time for a company, "plastering" and works on the side...cash in hand.

I don't think Trading Standards are of any use to us, because I don't think he's registered (I know, I know, I realise I'm an idiot) he works full time for a company, "plastering" and works on the side...cash in hand.
Wat company does he work for? Surely ur bro knows

Also, don't assume because you're here that any offers to put it right by any of these members will guarantee a good job :-(

There's no substitute for 'Due Diligence', and genuine 'personal referrals' that you can double-check is the only way to go.

It's always going to be expensive putting a Cowboy's work right - you're going to have to bite the bullet, go for the wallet, or put up with that mess the idiot calls plastering.

If you DO happen to have his contact details, a trip to 'Trading Standards' might be worth a try.

Any of the members didn't realise we were all s**t

Wow. I didn't expect this level of response. Thank you. We have paid him £640 so far, and he expects another £360 from us. I don't know what to do.

Regarding the rad, he told me he used to fit bathrooms and was comfortable taking the radiator off. Stupidly, I was away and left him to it. He was a friend of someone in my family.
Thank you for all your replies! I do appreciate your honesty. I don't know whether to be angry, upset or embarrassed.

What do people suggest doing now? Does it need re skimming? Is it even fixable? Am I best off looking on something like checkatrade for a new plasterer?

Thanks again

Kate
You can look on buywithconfidence.gov.uk they are trading standards approved and if there is a dispute they will get involved if needed
Or check a trade
Look at feed back
Hope that helps

In that case you have him by the ... erm, gentleman's dithery bits.

Explain to him that you would like a full refund. If he refuses explain that you'll have no choice but to report him to HMRC for undeclared income as HMRC will pay a reward for you doing so which will at least give you some money back.

He would be very foolish to refuse as HMRC will calculate an estimate for the last five years which he will have to prove incorrect, and that's virtually impossible under the circumstances. So a few hundred to you, or thousands to HMRC. (y)

Think you will find most of the regular posters on here are proper spreads

How old is this Alan from aj plastering ??
Fck knows pal do u know him? Think he's from Wakefield and in his 40s mayb..and I think his son is his apprentice..fcking shite he is..bet he's reading this..alan your shite if u are

There was a member on here years ago minty he was f**k**g shite i gave him a start cost me money actually saw him trowelling a wall which was totally set

Hi there

Firstly, I understand this is a forum for plasterers, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to go for advice so any help really would be appreciated.

I recently had some plastering work done and I'm not happy with the results. However, I've never had plastering work done so I'm not really sure if I'm expecting too much or being unreasonable.

I have had my living room, including ceiling boarded and skimmed. I paid £20 an hour and he worked an 8 hour day. Materials were bought separately by myself, with a list from the plasterer. The things I am unhappy about are:
- he's plastered around the radiator despite us discussing that this would be removed
- plastered around the door arcatrave
- there are several textured parts on the walls and ceiling - ridges, lumps, rough bits, skrim showing
- plastering around sockets and switches are a mess
- corners are a mess and rough
- bottom of the walls look a bit dodgy
- can see where the boards join - especially on ceiling
- no attempt to cover things in the house/no respect for household items. I expected mess but not as much as we had.
- the job took twice as long as quoted

I have included some photos and would really appreciate professional opinions before I discuss this with my plasterer. Or I'm wondering whether to look for a new tradesman?
Do you think you're being a bit picky?

Absolutely dog rough, the guys a thief and Defo not a plaster. Hope you get a discount on a bulk buy of easy fill

Fck knows pal do u know him? Think he's from Wakefield and in his 40s mayb..and I think his son is his apprentice..fcking shite he is..bet he's reading this..alan your shite if u are
Wrong a and j

Kate did you get any other quotes?

Did you try to squeeze the tradesman on price? If so he probably thought f**k it.

£20 per hour is a fair rate, but there is no chance that is a days work for one bloke.

Why £20 an hour and not a price, I've looked re looked and have to agree with everyone else that that is beyond bad, thing is I think you have no choice but to get a new tradesman in, but the way I would try to sort that out would take me over a day to get to a good prep standard before skimming, around them sockets ect just ain't a 5 min fix, you been burnt but please learn from it