Unhappy with plastering work but unsure what to expect?

Members online

Kate84

Hi there

Firstly, I understand this is a forum for plasterers, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to go for advice so any help really would be appreciated.

I recently had some plastering work done and I'm not happy with the results. However, I've never had plastering work done so I'm not really sure if I'm expecting too much or being unreasonable.

I have had my living room, including ceiling boarded and skimmed. I paid £20 an hour and he worked an 8 hour day. Materials were bought separately by myself, with a list from the plasterer. The things I am unhappy about are:
- he's plastered around the radiator despite us discussing that this would be removed
- plastered around the door arcatrave
- there are several textured parts on the walls and ceiling - ridges, lumps, rough bits, skrim showing
- plastering around sockets and switches are a mess
- corners are a mess and rough
- bottom of the walls look a bit dodgy
- can see where the boards join - especially on ceiling
- no attempt to cover things in the house/no respect for household items. I expected mess but not as much as we had.
- the job took twice as long as quoted

I have included some photos and would really appreciate professional opinions before I discuss this with my plasterer. Or I'm wondering whether to look for a new tradesman?

Attachments

• IMG_1187.JPG
    IMG_1187.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 7,729
  • IMG_1189.JPG
    IMG_1189.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 2,839
  • IMG_1186.JPG
    IMG_1186.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,748
  • IMG_1185.JPG
    IMG_1185.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 2,577
  • IMG_1179.JPG
    IMG_1179.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,261
  • IMG_1180.JPG
    IMG_1180.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,616
  • IMG_1182.JPG
    IMG_1182.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,465
  • IMG_1178.JPG
    IMG_1178.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,540
  • IMG_1177.JPG
    IMG_1177.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,409
  • IMG_1150.JPG
    IMG_1150.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 2,551
O.M.G

This will be a long thread,could I ask if possible stand back and take pictures of the walls as a whole,we can then zoom in

Thanks

Hi there

Firstly, I understand this is a forum for plasterers, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to go for advice so any help really would be appreciated.

I recently had some plastering work done and I'm not happy with the results. However, I've never had plastering work done so I'm not really sure if I'm expecting too much or being unreasonable.

I have had my living room, including ceiling boarded and skimmed. I paid £20 an hour and he worked an 8 hour day. Materials were bought separately by myself, with a list from the plasterer. The things I am unhappy about are:
- he's plastered around the radiator despite us discussing that this would be removed
- there are several textured parts on the walls and ceiling - ridges, lumps, rough bits, skrim showing
- no attempt to cover things in the house/no respect for household items. I expected mess but not as much as we had.

I have included some photos and would really appreciate professional opinions before I discuss this with my plasterer. Or I'm wondering whether to look for a new tradesman?
You should look for a new tradesman

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Additional photos

Attachments

• IMG_1142.JPG
    IMG_1142.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,390
  • IMG_1154.JPG
    IMG_1154.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,337
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,048
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    878.8 KB · Views: 1,383
lol thats terrible...

If you didnt take the rad off then that is kinder your problem.... he should have told you this though

Wow I hope your having coving I think that an apprentice in college would produce better standards than that.. ultimate laziness about the plug socket .. I'd of confirmed with customer to take the radiator off too , standards are just shocking ...

Hi there

That is bloody awful, and wouldn't be acceptable to anyone. The price is an irrelevance in this instance, as even if it was a 'cheap re-skim' you'd expect better.

I suggest that your next step would be to tell the 'plasterer' that you want your money back. It's unlikely to be that simple sadly, so to get it sorted find a good plasterer by reputation/recommendation and start again.

This is genuinely Terrible the other thread we had on last week isn't in same league as this..u have let a conman run Riot on ur living room in afraid..heres a couple pics of wat plastering shud look like as u was asking hope u get sorted but don't have him bk to sort u wil have to take a hit im afraid

Attachments

• WP_20160714_001.jpg
    WP_20160714_001.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 1,481
  • WP_20160523_002.jpg
    WP_20160523_002.jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 1,856
That's terrible work Kate. You need to get your money back off this thief. Where did you find him?

O.M.G

This will be a long thread,could I ask if possible stand back and take pictures of the walls as a whole,we can then zoom in

Thanks

Thank you. I took photos from a distance here, hopefully people can zoom in. Thanks again for looking

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,896
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,349
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,176
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,230
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,043
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,394
That's terrible work Kate. You need to get your money back off this thief. Where did you find him?
Got no chance pug..this guy is a conman he's not guna go round giving money back the guy isn't even a plasterer he will just do this a few times a month wen he can to get beer tokens etc

Hi there

No proper plasterer did that - he has f##ked up every aspect of the job.

Lads can u also see the difference in this thread and the other last week..go have a look at the pics last week of the other thread some of the comments where embarrassing there were 4 pics up with a shitty angle and a few scuff marks and little holes like there have never left owt abit rough who were commentating as If it was shocking wen all I could see was a few missed bits with 2 s**t internal angles

Wow. I didn't expect this level of response. Thank you. We have paid him £640 so far, and he expects another £360 from us. I don't know what to do.

Regarding the rad, he told me he used to fit bathrooms and was comfortable taking the radiator off. Stupidly, I was away and left him to it. He was a friend of someone in my family.

He needs to be named and shamed everywhere you possibly can might not stop him but it might slow him down

Agree I see alot of this when I'm out and about,
Its either a builder type wanna be or some site spread trying his luck on domestic and can't cope with pressure.

It's a shame for the customer paying really he should have the decency to give her the money back but from the sounds of it its not going to happen

It's a shame for the customer paying really he should have the decency to give her the money back but from the sounds of it its not going to happen

In truth, and it may seem a bit harsh, but this customer and other who do the same, are partly responsible. It's only because people hand over money for this kind of rubbish that people keep doing it.

A similar problem is when I get customers asking how much money I want up front! Even with all the publicity about not handing over five figure sums.

Kitchy I thought the plastering in the other thread was horrendous, no as bad as this but still horrendous. I don't see how you can defend the other plasterer