Unhappy with plastering work but unsure what to expect?

Members online

Maybe he was going for the cottage effect look tho..that mite of been his defence
WP_20160124_11_09_30_Pro.jpg

Well? What happened? Kate............cooweeee....Kate.....???
Haha. Ok, so I chickened out and ignored his phone call today - I texted him, and told him I would speak with him tomorrow after a plasterer had looked at the work, but that at this moment I was not comfortable letting him back to attempt to rectify.

I have been on mybuilder and shortlisted three plasterers. I have one coming in the morning to give me a quote to rectify the rubbish. Has very good reviews, so fingers crossed :)

Haha. Ok, so I chickened out and ignored his phone call today - I texted him, and told him I would speak with him tomorrow after a plasterer had looked at the work, but that at this moment I was not comfortable letting him back to attempt to rectify.

I have been on mybuilder and shortlisted three plasterers. I have one coming in the morning to give me a quote to rectify the rubbish. Has very good reviews, so fingers crossed :)
Good luck then Kate.

Did he text u back

Kate. In conclusion, you've had a huge amount of advise/info - what do you want him to ideally do?
1. Rectify all work?
2. Return your money?
Sadly he wont do either...better for your brain to just move on

Kate. In conclusion, you've had a huge amount of advise/info - what do you want him to ideally do?
1. Rectify all work?
2. Return your money?
Nothing, just accept that I won't be paying him the remaining £340 he expects. I accept that I have lost £680 to him already + materials. I won't be paying him anymore. I will tell him this tomorrow and present him with the quote to rectify to back up my decision.

I really think you have a case for trading standards, the impression from the photos is this Plastering is utter dogshit.! How on earth this is allowed to happen these days is beyond me, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night leaving that garbage as my finish.

Very poor is being nice about things. Really really is utter dogshit.!

Nothing, just accept that I won't be paying him the remaining £340 he expects. I accept that I have lost £680 to him already + materials. I won't be paying him anymore. I will tell him this tomorrow and present him with the quote to rectify to back up my decision.
He will be glad of it tbh as he he couldnt/wouldnt know how to rectify it anyway

If you don't want to be bitten twice I suggest you take this advise :) the boards need to come off and it needs rendering where your damp course was supposed to be. You had a damp problem originally and had injecting if I remember correctly? well that's another con coz that's done nothing to sort the damp problem. It could of been a number of reasons but either way it needs rendering and the real fault found. Getting it reskimmed by a professional will make it look nice but I guarantee you will be calling him once it gets cold, and the cold spots turn up off the dab adhesive. It might not show straight away coz it's been dabbed twice but I bet the top half does. It needs to come off and this is what you should be looking for some one to quote for not a reskim. It's gonna cost but it will cost more if you need to do it for a third time and it won't be the second guys fault:

If you don't want to be bitten twice I suggest you take this advise :) the boards need to come off and it needs rendering where your damp course was supposed to be. You had a damp problem originally and had injecting if I remember correctly? well that's another con coz that's done nothing to sort the damp problem. It could of been a number of reasons but either way it needs rendering and the real fault found. Getting it reskimmed by a professional will make it look nice but I guarantee you will be calling him once it gets cold, and the cold spots turn up off the dab adhesive. It might not show straight away coz it's been dabbed twice but I bet the top half does. It needs to come off and this is what you should be looking for some one to quote for not a reskim. It's gonna cost but it will cost more if you need to do it for a third time and it won't be the second guys fault:

Thank you! Yeah, from bits I've read on here I had figured the boards over where the dpc went is bad idea so intended to bring this up with the guy that's coming tomorrow.

Regarding the damp...it stemmed from the ends of the joists rotting and I think that was something to do with ventilation bricks or something? Sorry, I hope that makes sense? I know joists were replaced, bricks replaced, some kind of membrane put down and the DPC installed in walls. There was another patch of damp caused by a hole in the dormer roof which was rectified too. This was all done by partners uncle who is a builder.

Thank you! Yeah, from bits I've read on here I had figured the boards over where the dpc went is bad idea so intended to bring this up with the guy that's coming tomorrow.

Regarding the damp...it stemmed from the ends of the joists rotting and I think that was something to do with ventilation bricks or something? Sorry, I hope that makes sense? I know joists were replaced, bricks replaced, some kind of membrane put down and the DPC installed in walls. There was another patch of damp caused by a hole in the dormer roof which was rectified too. This was all done by partners uncle who is a builder.
Come on Kate we need an update

Come on Kate we need an update
You're an impatient lot haha. Was waiting until both quotes were in - however, we have had two companies out yesterday. Both were horrified at how the place had been left - the first guy said it was the worst job he'd ever seen.

So, both r commended a full reskim. Beading around the fireplace and tidy up and also finishing the inside the chimney breast with fireproof render. First quote come in at £435 + £135 for chimney breast. Just waiting on second quote now.

So, regarding Andy the nightmare "plasterer" - I've included pics of the message I sent to him yesterday. Needless to say, he hasn't replied. Torn between getting a little harsher and threatening him with HMRC as someone mentioned earlier or just forgetting about it and moving on.

Attachments

• IMG_1240.PNG
    IMG_1240.PNG
    183.5 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_1241.PNG
    IMG_1241.PNG
    194.2 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_1242.PNG
    IMG_1242.PNG
    154.6 KB · Views: 372
You're an impatient lot haha. Was waiting until both quotes were in - however, we have had two companies out yesterday. Both were horrified at how the place had been left - the first guy said it was the worst job he'd ever seen.

So, both r commended a full reskim. Beading around the fireplace and tidy up and also finishing the inside the chimney breast with fireproof render. First quote come in at £435 + £135 for chimney breast. Just waiting on second quote now.

So, regarding Andy the nightmare "plasterer" - I've included pics of the message I sent to him yesterday. Needless to say, he hasn't replied. Torn between getting a little harsher and threatening him with HMRC as someone mentioned earlier or just forgetting about it and moving on.
Also, had to tell my mother before she came round. I'm 33 and still got a bloody good ear bashing for being so stupid and soft! Haha

" The worst plastering job ever " I think that is a huge understatement..! Utter dogshit..!

I'm glad your getting it sorted and hope you really get a chance to kick the blagger in the b*ll***s.

Failing that make sure you get in touch with trading standards, you may be surprised, they can be really helpful and you have definitely got a case.

The bloke should never be let loose with a trowel ever again.