Unhappy with plastering job - cold bridge roof to blame?

Members online

Thanks everyone. We had a REAL plasterer redo it yesterday and he did a beautiful job no problems, so there is absolutely nothing special about the room and the ‘cold bridge’ is definitely just an excuse. Yes we paid him, which is ridiculous. By the end of day 3 we just wanted them to leave. Absolutely gutted to have trusted this real con-artist, not a real plasterer.

Thanks everyone. We had a REAL plasterer redo it yesterday and he did a beautiful job no problems, so there is absolutely nothing special about the room and the ‘cold bridge’ is definitely just an excuse. Yes we paid him, which is ridiculous. By the end of day 3 we just wanted them to leave. Absolutely gutted to have trusted this real con-artist, not a real plasterer.
Sad to hear about you getting stung for it. Same with any trade referrals best way to go about it, don't think anything less of us :hola:

f**k sake just tell us what you paid him!!!
Il put my left testicle on it that it was a very cheap quote..chancers havnt got the brains or foresight to be con artists and charge loads and leave shite..havnt got the balls to as there know the end result is going to be s**t so there turover alot of work at cheap prices and onto the nxt one

Hello,

I'm a customer who would really appreciate a professional opinion on a poor plastering job.

The job was to plaster over plasterboard walls and ceiling of a small room bedroom. The plasterer and his assistant struggled from the off and the job ended up taking 3 days instead of 1, and the outcome is extremely uneven and rough (see pics). He said the plaster was drying so fast he couldn't work with it and he blamed it on the fact that there is a flat roof over the room which he said is a 'cold bridge roof'.

In his words: "Cold bridging is caused by colder elements in the structure or fabric of the building allowing coldness to come through rapidly. When warm moist air is present in the property and it passes through colder elements of the structure, now we have what is called cold bridging, this normally causes a combination of issues, when I was laying the plaster on the ceiling I was moving 3 paces to the right and what I had plastered seconds earlier had gone off rock hard. I p.v.a the ceiling 3 times it's not even a big ceiling, the reason the plaster went off so quickly is because you got cold air running through constantly, and that's making the plaster set rapidly."

What is your professional opinion on this? Is this something you have ever encountered?

Many thanks in advance for any input. We are of course having to get someone else in to fix this mess.

Don't know what the f**k he is on about cold bridging...that is where insulation is missing above the ceiling and the plaster would hang in theses areas...even if there was 300mm of insulation directly above and it was 30 degrees a competent plasterer could handle a tidily ceiling like this. And even if they didn't they wold redo it with some xtra time in the mix for example. Got to be honest thats the worst job I've see on the Forum since I joined around 15 years ago.

Don't know what the f**k he is on about cold bridging...that is where insulation is missing above the ceiling and the plaster would hang in theses areas...even if there was 300mm of insulation directly above and it was 30 degrees a competent plasterer could handle a tidily ceiling like this. And even if they didn't they wold redo it with some xtra time in the mix for example. Got to be honest thats the worst job I've see on the Forum since I joined around 15 years ago.
f**k all wrong with it,just needs abit of filler and abit of a sand down

Why on earth did you pay him?? Please explain, really.
Quite clearly well out of date plaster he's bought like a mug.
Yesterday just for a laugh I mixed up some year old multi from the depths of the shed, it set in the time it took me to carry the trug the length of the garden.

Tell us what you paid?and tell us his name might stop someone else getting fleeced everyone that comes on here saying they have had some shite work done never names and shames.

Thanks for the replies, I know it's a terrible job. The point is, the plasterer is trying to put the blame on us for not warning him about the "cold bridge roof" (he could've seen this from the outside when he came to quote for the work) and claiming that any plasterer would have had the same problem. Do you agree this is false and just a fancy-sounding excuse? I can't find any information online about this.

@John j you said this happened to you but did it stop you doing the job to a good standard?
Cold bridge is absolute nonsense. Just trying to bamboozle.

A cold bridge is where you have a cavity/insulating air gap and there is a building element or defect which causes a solid path across the cavity from inside to out.
A wall tie is a very small cold bridge as it will transmits heat quicker through that part of the internal wall thus slightly cooling the inner surface of the wall - this is the cold bridge.

In terms of a flat roof. For older roofs there will be an air gap above the plaster board where the joists are and this needs to be ventilated. (regs say must insulate now).

None of this is relevant. This time of year it's going to be warm air circulating in the flat roof. It's not like
you have your heating on !
Get him to explain what he means because if he says the plasterboard as cooler due to the flat roof then it should dry the plaster SLOWER.

i am now starting to have doubts about alan b, i think it is him who did the job, but he can not work out what has happened, hence the questions , i think alan b is an engineer/teacher/fireman, he does not mention the ,price at all , when asked,even though it could help somebody,,something not right here taking us all for a ride, and to make matters worse probably calls his handboard a hawk, which is just so so wrong

i am now starting to have doubts about alan b, i think it is him who did the job, but he can not work out what has happened, hence the questions , i think alan b is an engineer/teacher/fireman, he does not mention the ,price at all , when asked,even though it could help somebody,,something not right here taking us all for a ride, and to make matters worse probably calls his handboard a hawk, which is just so so wrong
it’s a hawk surely.

it’s a hawk surely.
nooooooooooooooo,billly ,noooooooooooooooo, run away now escape from your village, move to the glorious north,you will recover,feel better. there you go deep breaths breath in , its a handboard ,feel better well of course you do, handboard thats right billy, a handboard

nooooooooooooooo,billly ,noooooooooooooooo, run away now escape from your village, move to the glorious north,you will recover,feel better. there you go deep breaths breath in , its a handboard ,feel better well of course you do, handboard thats right billy, a handboard
1AD9EE18-5BD8-4735-AE87-7039DF48D16C.png

i googled it to make sure