Unhappy with plastering job - cold bridge roof to blame?

Members online

Alan_B

Hello,

I'm a customer who would really appreciate a professional opinion on a poor plastering job.

The job was to plaster over plasterboard walls and ceiling of a small room bedroom. The plasterer and his assistant struggled from the off and the job ended up taking 3 days instead of 1, and the outcome is extremely uneven and rough (see pics). He said the plaster was drying so fast he couldn't work with it and he blamed it on the fact that there is a flat roof over the room which he said is a 'cold bridge roof'.

In his words: "Cold bridging is caused by colder elements in the structure or fabric of the building allowing coldness to come through rapidly. When warm moist air is present in the property and it passes through colder elements of the structure, now we have what is called cold bridging, this normally causes a combination of issues, when I was laying the plaster on the ceiling I was moving 3 paces to the right and what I had plastered seconds earlier had gone off rock hard. I p.v.a the ceiling 3 times it's not even a big ceiling, the reason the plaster went off so quickly is because you got cold air running through constantly, and that's making the plaster set rapidly."

What is your professional opinion on this? Is this something you have ever encountered?

Many thanks in advance for any input. We are of course having to get someone else in to fix this mess.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-27 at 09.44.40.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-27 at 09.44.40.png
    2 MB · Views: 509
  • Screenshot 2020-07-27 at 09.45.33.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-27 at 09.45.33.png
    4 MB · Views: 492
  • Screenshot 2020-07-27 at 09.45.59.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-27 at 09.45.59.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 480
  • Screenshot 2020-07-27 at 09.46.29.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-27 at 09.46.29.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 466
I have said in the past ‘ f**k all wrong with it ‘ in league with fellow spreads . But that’s ridiculous . Not a plasterer I’m afraid .

Hello,

I'm a customer who would really appreciate a professional opinion on a poor plastering job.

The job was to plaster over plasterboard walls and ceiling of a small room bedroom. The plasterer and his assistant struggled from the off and the job ended up taking 3 days instead of 1, and the outcome is extremely uneven and rough (see pics). He said the plaster was drying so fast he couldn't work with it and he blamed it on the fact that there is a flat roof over the room which he said is a 'cold bridge roof'.

In his words: "Cold bridging is caused by colder elements in the structure or fabric of the building allowing coldness to come through rapidly. When warm moist air is present in the property and it passes through colder elements of the structure, now we have what is called cold bridging, this normally causes a combination of issues, when I was laying the plaster on the ceiling I was moving 3 paces to the right and what I had plastered seconds earlier had gone off rock hard. I p.v.a the ceiling 3 times it's not even a big ceiling, the reason the plaster went off so quickly is because you got cold air running through constantly, and that's making the plaster set rapidly."

What is your professional opinion on this? Is this something you have ever encountered?

Many thanks in advance for any input. We are of course having to get someone else in to fix this mess.
Same happened to me under here . Two strokes n setting old board
Screenshot_20200727-124613_WhatsApp.jpg
. Pain in ass but was done in half hour

Hello,

Omg.

Hello,

Own up! This is a DIY disaster and trying to find where you have gone wrong:ROFLMAO:

there is no way a plasterer did that,
This is the problem anyone can call themselves a plasterer especially in the domestic world and if there savvy with computers advertising ect they will get the work even though they f**k it up customers pay them and on to the next! I’ve no sympathy personally for the customer as you wouldn’t let someone come in your house and say yeah you’re all done and put your windows in upside down! They got eyes ffs!!

Thanks for the replies, I know it's a terrible job. The point is, the plasterer is trying to put the blame on us for not warning him about the "cold bridge roof" (he could've seen this from the outside when he came to quote for the work) and claiming that any plasterer would have had the same problem. Do you agree this is false and just a fancy-sounding excuse? I can't find any information online about this.

@John j you said this happened to you but did it stop you doing the job to a good standard?

People saying it's a DIY job - I wish! Can assure you we spent good money on this mess, not the cheapest quote at all. We confronted the plasterer as we could see it's shocking work and he refused to budge, blamed the temp in the room.

Hello,

Ha ha ha. Cold bridging

Out of date multi more like it.

What a w**k*r

It looks like he dipped his labourers head in the bucket and used him to brush the multi on. That is the roughest finish I've ever seen. There is no way a time served competent Plasterer did that. :oops:
How much did they charge for that? It makes my blood boil when you know there are good Plasterers who lost that job because the customer went with a cheap quote. Pay peanuts get Monkeys:cry:

He's tried to go for the rustic cottage look a few Bob less and he could of done it even rougher for you

People saying it's a DIY job - I wish! Can assure you we spent good money on this mess, not the cheapest quote at all. We confronted the plasterer as we could see it's shocking work and he refused to budge, blamed the temp in the room.
In all seriousness mate, I hope you've not paid him. Get a reputable spread in to fix his f**k up, ask about and find someone that comes recommended

If anything, cold conditions would make plaster hang like Saddam Hussein on a rope.
You'd have all the time in the world on a small area like that...clearly a chancer probs on his first attempt after watching a Youtube video night before and not a clue that plaster has a use by date.

Thanks for the replies, I know it's a terrible job. The point is, the plasterer is trying to put the blame on us for not warning him about the "cold bridge roof" (he could've seen this from the outside when he came to quote for the work) and claiming that any plasterer would have had the same problem. Do you agree this is false and just a fancy-sounding excuse? I can't find any information online about this.

@John j you said this happened to you but did it stop you doing the job to a good standard?
Any competent experienced plasterer would never leave a job like that. So there are no excuses for having that mess it's just a smoke screen for having no discernable skill in plastering.
You can have confidence when dealing with this person that you are in the right.

Your "plasterer" is full of s**t :rolleyes:

Tell you what tho,uve got to admire the courser spread for coming out with them words for his excuse..might take that one on board

Hello,

I don’t know how u could achieve that even if you had never picked a trowel up before, crazy some of the shite u see on here lol