TO SPONGE OR NOT TO SPONGE

View attachment 22252

1 coat and sponge. Don't always use the sponge tho. Depends on the skim if I use it or not the. But one coat 95% of the time.
I did a few houses ''one coating' quite a few years ago, when BG stated on the bags that it was a one coat plaster. Anyway I didn't find it any quicker back then, but I do wonder if, with the shite finish we're now getting, it might be the way forward.
Perhaps one thick coat, speedy, float (I use my carpet float) and then trowel up?

I did a few houses ''one coating' quite a few years ago, when BG stated on the bags that it was a one coat plaster. Anyway I didn't find it any quicker back then, but I do wonder if, with the shite finish we're now getting, it might be the way forward.
Perhaps one thick coat, speedy, float (I use my carpet float) and then trowel up?

I have been doing one coat a bit lately but basically putting it on at a two coat coverage rate if that makes sense !

I don't use the speedskim when doing one coat. I just mix the skim a wee bit stiffer. Put it on at around 2mm nice and neat. I mix up in the bucket what am going to use bag and a half to 2 bags wash mixer out. I fill out the scrim joints and door frames. Then get the skim on. Wash out bucket. Give the floor a quick scrape. Then flatten walls in with my mt. Have a cup of tea or go beading and scrim. Then I trowel the walls again wit my mt. Then tea lol. Then I give it 1 last trowel with the s*p*r*lex. Job done. I get 3 sets a day no problem even this time of the year. If the skim feels greasy or I find am getting tiger stripes. I'll use the sponge.

A lot of the time my son and I are at logger heads regarding new trowels better/quicker finish ,but I do have to admit on a lot of re skims recently we have used a sponge, felt really strange going over a nearly acceptable finish but tbh its the dogs nuts, no more different drying patches no waves on set, the only gripe I have as its a bit messy but you do get a nice even matt surface

Ive used the zombie mix over artex and put on thick then when timed right sponge and finish, comes up ok, so no second coat of neat skim.I used bg and knauf one coat plaster in early 90’s so same principle.

Good plasterer make mistakes,, ,and s**t happens that can't be explained it takes balls to tell this forum that. Too many don't, ,,I have worked with some of the best guys in this industry and at times they had issues with this game.
yeah, I agree. I always have a sponge float in my kit to get me out the s**t. I've seen good and bad sponge finishes but my issue is with the amount of water blokes put on and what you remove. I'm still with BG on this one about compromising the plaster but as a College Instructor you'd expect that from me!!!

yeah, I agree. I always have a sponge float in my kit to get me out the s**t. I've seen good and bad sponge finishes but my issue is with the amount of water blokes put on and what you remove. I'm still with BG on this one about compromising the plaster but as a College Instructor you'd expect that from me!!!
Is sponging a acceptable finish on skim, is it in college training.

No, we don’t have a sponge float in the workshop, we stick to the traditional method. Some of the students say their bosses use them. A sponge float is good for thistle universal one coat though.
So you use traditional cross grained floats instead?

So anyone using a sponge to finish skim are using something that is not recognised form of finishing. Interesting.

What’s recognised mean really?
I’m surprised at Chris’ choice of wording in that a sponge ‘is good for universal one coat’ as that is actually how you are meant to finish it.
In the same vein is how I use a sponge on skim, anywhere there is too much depth, sponging it softens up the top only to flatten nicely, so as to stop the depth of gear moving under the trowel, it’s the exact reason why you are told to sponge universal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So anyone using a sponge to finish skim are using something that is not recognised form of finishing. Interesting.
When I was taught a college, , in theory class tools were shown for plastering,,, ,we had to draw each of them. ,probably different now as more tools are now out.

Can I ask ( because I’ve still never put a sponge on skim ) if you’ve put say 30m2 plus on do you sponge the whole 30m2 ?

Can I ask ( because I’ve still never put a sponge on skim ) if you’ve put say 30m2 plus on do you sponge the whole 30m2 ?
You seem to ask too many and detailed questions for someone who hasn’t and won’t use sponge in the future :D.
Oh, I know that itch :D

I have never seen anybody finish with a sponge to a good standard. I have seen a number of people do it and each time it has been terrible
I get it perfect every time
Lay on
Speedskim
Leave 20 mins
Sponge
Steel trowel
Leave 20 mins
Remove all the fat with Steel trowel
Finish with ox flexi
Dry trowel
Job done

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I get it perfect every time
Lay on
Speedskim
Leave 20 mins
Sponge
Steel trowel
Leave 20 mins
Remove all the fat with Steel trowel
Finish with ox flexi
Dry trowel
Job done

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Thanks I’ve never done it might try on a small wall see how it goes

I still say , its not the tools or the person pushing them , its the plaster , that puts the doubt of the quailty of finish in plasterers minds , people say ive been plastering for years and years and so have i , but you have to think on daily basis that what you leaving as a finishing trade , is it good enough , does it look right , sometimes it just dont feel right , but you have think why is there so many tools out there , why are you trying different methods , changing timings , buckets , brushes etc .

I still say , its not the tools or the person pushing them , its the plaster , that puts the doubt of the quailty of finish in plasterers minds , people say ive been plastering for years and years and so have i , but you have to think on daily basis that what you leaving as a finishing trade , is it good enough , does it look right , sometimes it just dont feel right , but you have think why is there so many tools out there , why are you trying different methods , changing timings , buckets , brushes etc .
Exactly mate.
We're shite it's not the plaster.

Used a sponge recently and it left a real scratchy finish in places. But i think I might have left it a bit long... Will try again next week.