TO SPONGE OR NOT TO SPONGE

Members online

Leave it about 10 mins or so later than you would flatten so that it has really picked up, sponge it then flatten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So.... What am I doing wrong :) :)
I don't ever float after putting a trowel over it.
Let it pick up more than you usually would before flattening.
I usually float about ten--twelve SQM before turning back.
I don't like the coarse sponges some use either.

So gear on , chill for 20/30 minutes depending , sponge , flatten, flatten, cross trowel , done ?

I don't ever float after putting a trowel over it.
Let it pick up more than you usually would before flattening.
I usually float about ten--twelve SQM before turning back.
I don't like the coarse sponges some use either.
Which sponge , orange ?

We use a refina medium grade orange sponge, as we have really only been using it on the last few re-skims its dependant on the background suction when we use it, one thing we have noticed is you can splash some water on it if left a bit late, on board as said above leave it a bit longer, and to eliminate any scratch marks don't let it sit too long after sponging, before you go over it with your chosen weapon

So gear on , chill for 20/30 minutes depending , sponge , flatten, flatten, cross trowel , done ?
Well it would all depend on how many metres you're putting on.
You can get more on using this method.
It is a bigger bonus in winter, just doing two big moves rather than the usual three. You know, when the gear is just too slow to get three done in normal hours.

leave it vince ...its bullshit.
im not the best spread in the world.
but sponge skimming is when youve lost your way.
more mess more hassle more time consuming.
any fella on here who skims with a sponge are not on price work.
id cover more ground alone without a sponge or machine.

leave it vince ...its bullshit.
im not the best spread in the world.
but sponge skimming is when youve lost your way.
more mess more hassle more time consuming.
any fella on here who skims with a sponge are not on price work.
id cover more ground alone without a sponge or machine.
I only do price work!
It cuts out one trowel per move.

I only do price work!
It cuts out one trowel per move.
id find it impossible to skim what i can a day sponging....no way could i skim big 4/5 bed plots staircase wet areas espcially ceilings sponging....in 4/5 days miller and jones homes are big plots over 500m.
and thats there smaller plots !!

id find it impossible to skim what i can a day sponging....no way could i skim big 4/5 bed plots staircase wet areas espcially ceilings sponging....in 4/5 days miller and jones homes are big plots over 500m.

You probably right Algee mate I did say earlier I only do small mixes , thing that intrigues me about it now is there seems so many that say they do it , ive tried every thistle plaster there is available and notice a slight difference in all of them compared to each other , but the sponge on multi i just wanted to see if it was any difference to the actual finish

You probably right Algee mate I did say earlier I only do small mixes , thing that intrigues me about it now is there seems so many that say they do it , ive tried every thistle plaster there is available and notice a slight difference in all of them compared to each other , but the sponge on multi i just wanted to see if it was any difference to the actual finish

dont take my word vince x
like i said theres lads out there make me look useless.
@essexandy is a top spread and knows his game.
i just found a way that suits me.....its called chase your arse all the time to look after your daughters (y)(y)

Just to re iterate I don’t sponge all the time, in fact I never do unless I have had to build gear out to an unusual depth.
I personally would find it slower doing it all the time myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never sponged as a matter of course, just when conditions dictate.
I've definitely never skimmed 500sqm in 4-5 days! Nor needed to.

dont take my word vince x
like i said theres lads out there make me look useless.
@essexandy is a top spread and knows his game.
i just found a way that suits me.....its called chase your arse all the time to look after your daughters (y)(y)
You are a f**k**g machine mate and I take my hat off to you.

andy my working life...its shite mate ....my life has turned into...
"yeah chris will sort it out"
on a daily basis :cry:

Dont see the need personaly if you 2 coat. Lay in, 3 trowels, Set done.. Isn't sponge just adding an extra trowel? Maybe I'm missing something.

Dont see the need personaly if you 2 coat. Lay in, 3 trowels, Set done.. Isn't sponge just adding an extra trowel? Maybe I'm missing something.

thats a small set.
staring at this shite is sending me loopy.

Attachments

• 20180315_140705.jpg
    20180315_140705.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 475
  • 20180315_140651.jpg
    20180315_140651.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 493
Been dabbling with the sponge again lately, had some walls to skim over blue grit and couldn’t get the multi to behave and it takes forever to wait for that first coat to pull in on blue grit the sponge came in useful also today skimming over some hardwall that had been floated a while ago gave it a lick of pva but had the sponge on hand just in case, didn’t really pull in excessively but I sponged anyway and it left a decent finish. Been watching rwf on YouTube and I’m really warming to him, he is the sponge float master. He bloody loves Plastering.

Been dabbling with the sponge again lately, had some walls to skim over blue grit and couldn’t get the multi to behave and it takes forever to wait for that first coat to pull in on blue grit the sponge came in useful also today skimming over some hardwall that had been floated a while ago gave it a lick of pva but had the sponge on hand just in case, didn’t really pull in excessively but I sponged anyway and it left a decent finish. Been watching rwf on YouTube and I’m really warming to him, he is the sponge float master. He bloody loves Plastering.

I think him and @Vincey were separated at birth!!!!

been plastering 32 years and never used a sponge but this last week been trying different methods
2 coats splat it flat then sponge and then 2 trowels seems to go so much nicer and quicker and the finish seems better to
Y not f**k**g give your tools to a f**k**g monkey and let it do the work muppet