TO SPONGE OR NOT TO SPONGE

What’s recognised mean really?
I’m surprised at Chris’ choice of wording in that a sponge ‘is good for universal one coat’ as that is actually how you are meant to finish it.
In the same vein is how I use a sponge on skim, anywhere there is too much depth, sponging it softens up the top only to flatten nicely, so as to stop the depth of gear moving under the trowel, it’s the exact reason why you are told to sponge universal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with you Big K , that's how you're supposed to finish universal but multi hasn't got the density. It's not produced to be put on to thicknesses but if you're getting good results, let a thousand trowels reign!

Hi Andy, sorry for the delay in replying, I'm not always on here. If we were teaching three coat work yes but our students don't need that level of knowledge.
Even on two coat work the old boys used to either run a float down the internals and ceiling line, or scour the whole wall at times when using Sirapite.

Sirapite f me i forgot about that gear.:bananahappy:

What about old grey stucco,,,,,too much of that and you couldnt get it out bucket.

Good for patching

Was there such a thing as punch skim ?so called because of the punching action using the trowel to knock it up on the spot ?.I am sure I was told this but it was a long time ago and my memory is a little fuzzy these days

So I’m obviously not as old as these older guys, can one of them explain what they use to do before multi finish please ? Gear on then what ?

So I’m obviously not as old as these older guys, can one of them explain what they use to do before multi finish please ? Gear on then what ?
Well I used to go to work without worrying how the finish was going to be, then if I put casual gear on I usually went to the pub, but if I put good gear on I went to the disco:whistle:

Tbh @Vincey back in the day it was lime, sand cement, carlite bonding carlite browning carlite finish and a good few more, but today's market is all about getting the job done quicker hardwall ,skimming on to msp, timber frame or dot dab, plaster board has taken over the market, and ultimately multi finish was born, as was thistle one coat and board finish etc, obviously traditional methods are still used but sad to say not as often

Tbh @Vincey back in the day it was lime, sand cement, carlite bonding carlite browning carlite finish and a good few more, but today's market is all about getting the job done quicker hardwall ,skimming on to msp, timber frame or dot dab, plaster board has taken over the market, and ultimately multi finish was born, as was thistle one coat and board finish etc, obviously traditional methods are still used but sad to say not as often
Thanks, tbh I think you just hit the nail on the head there

Thanks, tbh I think you just hit the nail on the head there
Try find plasterers that can do all that
Lol to be honest been on sites for the last 25 years and most plasterers or so they're called are only skimmers and not that good
True plasterers that can do all that are few and far apart
And not many young ones coming through the trade

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Very l7ittle, as new stuff has hard

Carlite finish,board finish,,,,

Stucco

Hydrated lime was soaked in bin,,
Then became putty lime
Mixed with carlite finish,,,was lovely
Done on a spot board and combined

The lime concept of plastering is sadly a dying trade, any plasterer should be able to use a product out of a bag to an acceptable finish, bonding/board, multi or whatever, and I think there are two reasons why there are no apprentices coming through, mostly many firms haven't got the continuity of work to see them through, there isn't any vision from our present government about future tradesmen, its too costly for a small business with citb contributions etc, and lastly this generation are a bunch of lazy bstrds

Just re read this thread , This is definitely one of the best threads of the year , considering there has been a lot of the usual the gear is s**t threads which tbh I’ve had a few bags that I could blame looking back (have questioned myself and thought what went not right there ) but one thing I’ve noticed is especially with multi is if I’m skimming straight over a fresh backing coat it’s always seems to be ok where as on old reskim or like the guy said earlier boards seems to be where things are sometimes hit or miss, just my honest opinion.
The sponge thing i always used to be absolutely anti and still am to an extent, probably as I only do small gauges , always feel it kinda of pointless for me plus I don’t like the thought of dragging all fat out to trowel up but there has been a few comments on this thread that has made me think maybe I would if needed tbf

Be honest with your self, try it first before any more comments and I don't mean that in a bad way, medium course sponge, follow all the advice given, and then post your comment, and I will think your pessimistic way of thinking shall change, the only other piece of advice I would give is properly wash your sponge out after use or it will scratch your next gauge, if its not washed properly you will have loads of plaster resembling lead shot spewing out the sponge

When I first started Pete, we'd have two stacks of plaster in each house. Thistle Board Finish for, obviously, the boardwork and Sirapite for the S&C.
Even back then plaster did vary slightly. It stated on the bags at which plant it had been made and I can remember my old man asking the merchants for gear from a certain plant. I can even remember that all the bags were made by a company in Aberdeen, the paper must be stronger up there?
Anyway even the 'less good' gear was better than the shite offered up today.
The only time that Multi isn't a problem is when used over Hardwall with a decent amount of suction. I've never understood plasterers (so called) that don't like suction from the background. Walls can be finished way before any setting of the plaster had taken place.

Surly that's the problem with multi in that its can go over any background and there fore is produced for a non specific purpose unlike board finish or the old carlite finish for browning etc. High suction or low suction will always make multi react differently .

Bite.

Attachments

• IMG_20180318_170335.jpg
    IMG_20180318_170335.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 524
Surly that's the problem with multi in that its can go over any background and there fore is produced for a non specific purpose unlike board finish or the old carlite finish for browning etc. High suction or low suction will always make multi react differently .
I did hit the 'agree button' there but the truth is that when Multi first came out, and for some time after, it was absolutely fine.
It might just be coincidence but I think it all started going wrong when they started pissballing about making all manner of other unneeded plasters and the onset of recycling.