Switches and sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mask them and plaster up to them with first coat, same with second coat but after first flatten of second coat i remove screws and pull socket clear then fill round behind it with gear before first polish. When done just screw them back to wall. Used to remove before first coat but then run the risk of dropping gear on them unless you bag them.

Not a bad idea that actually. I also keep different lengths of screws in the van as sometimes the original ones won't go back in, especially if you dabbed on a thermal board.

Take the front off then bag and tape with sparky tape. I also roll the screws up in a bit of tape and stick them to the front. I always give the customer the option of me putting them back on or leaving as is for decorating. Dont forget to remind the customers that the fronts are off if they have kids as fried child looks bad on your rep :RpS_laugh:

always screw them back if there are young uns in the home.:)

I mask them and plaster up to them with first coat, same with second coat but after first flatten of second coat i remove screws and pull socket clear then fill round behind it with gear before first polish. When done just screw them back to wall. Used to remove before first coat but then run the risk of dropping gear on them unless you bag them.

That seems like more hassle to me youd have to mess about working neatly up to them 3 times. 1st coat flatten 2nd coat. Then start unscrewing them. When you can just undo them before you start. Bag them and that's it no need to touch them again. Each to their own

That seems like more hassle to me youd have to mess about working neatly up to them 3 times. 1st coat flatten 2nd coat. Then start unscrewing them. When you can just undo them before you start. Bag them and that's it no need to touch them again. Each to their own

Not a bad idea that actually.:RpS_cool:

**** that, this is how it should be done. Just loosen the screws a bit.

20130131130816.jpg

Lol yes its a job we went on the other day. I have worse ones than that. We did the kitchen ceiling, then he got someone else in to do the walls because a were busy, then waited for us to do the rest of the house.

Prior to a career change, I was a sparky with 30 plus years experience, man and boy.

I registered with this forum a few years ago to get tips and advice whilst doing an evening course to try and get sufficiently capable at skimming to make a decent fist of my own house.

I've got to say that I'm happy at the results, even though it wouldn't stand up to close scrutiny from most of you guys!

Anyway, I still look in on the forum now and again and cannot believe some of the photos I've seen on this thread.

WTF is any sparky playing at, by putting socket, switch fronts etc on before the plasterer has weaved his magic?

Its called first fix and second fix for a reason. First fix, walls get chased, cables and boxes go in. Plasterer does his bit. Second fix, all fronts go on. It's not rocket science!

Much as I don't like to run down fellow pros, it looks like a trend to first and second fix simultaneously has caught on, which is very poor form indeed.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about the photos of a first electrical fix where the socket fronts have been put on, before the chases and gaps around the boxes have been filled and skimmed.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about the photos of a first electrical fix where the socket fronts have been put on, before the chases and gaps around the boxes have been filled and skimmed.
It happens quite ofte, the electrician is focused on been finished and paid.same with plumbers..

You mean like this kitchen I did last week :RpS_cursing:

photo_zpsc50fc7b5.jpg

Id be tempted to tell the customer to get him back. Or take the boxes out. Fill in the holes
Skim the walls and say see how you like it you cu.nt

So he puts conduit in a socket to show you that it needs filling, even though its dead??? Come on really?

But is it not the same as gas fitting it only becomes legal if you are being paid to do it ? and as humble plasterers when we have submitted our quotes we have not placed a charge for removing the sockets and are doing this gratis so, would touching the sockets with a screw driver actually be illegal? I could be wrong (and often am before anyone else says it ) but i thought the regs were worded around compedency ie compedent person same as corgi or gas safe registry?

Competent in legal terms is someone who has proven to the authorities by having works examined at separate occasions and it having been proven to be done to the regs, for electrics nothing would stop a DIY or other trades from undoing electric sockets or light switches.they only need to be proven competent for adding sockets or renewing existing. The only problem a plasterer may have if an accident involving a customer or a builder getting a shock following work that you had done.

Looking at that photo i notice that there are electric cables running horizontal across the wall , i thought they can now only be run vertically or am i talkin out ma hoop:RpS_confused:.

I remember as an apprentice working with an old scotish plasterer in an occupied property replacing a water damaged bedroon ceiling. he appeared as soon as we got the battons up and the first thing he did was get up there and take his lath hammer to the light fitting! i said to him your a brave man "och dinnie worry son i took the fuse oot for the upstairs lights" later while troweling off my trowel hits the wires well lets just say he did'nt want me as an apprentice from about 5 mins after that :RpS_mad:

I remember as an apprentice working with an old scotish plasterer in an occupied property replacing a water damaged bedroon ceiling. he appeared as soon as we got the battons up and the first thing he did was get up there and take his lath hammer to the light fitting! i said to him your a brave man "och dinnie worry son i took the fuse oot for the upstairs lights" later while troweling off my trowel hits the wires well lets just say he did'nt want me as an apprentice from about 5 mins after that :RpS_mad:
Or possibly five mins before ?

Beader, you are indeed talking out ya hoop. Sparky explained it to me recently,it is possible to run horizontal cables in some instances but I can't think for now what those circumstances were.

Come on asif, stick a like on it cos that was a really interesting response I gave

Beader, you are indeed talking out ya hoop. Sparky explained it to me recently,it is possible to run horizontal cables in some instances but I can't think for now what those circumstances were.

Come on asif, stick a like on it cos that was a really interesting response I gave
If it amuses you, pity I cannot get an ice cream to you, keep licking whatever till I can.

The only trouble I have had with taking screws out of the faces to plaster behind, is in damp work the back boxes go rusty and rot. When you undo the screw the little lugs can break, which leaves you right in the shite.

Then i consider my hoop well and truly silenced.:RpS_blushing:

Status
Not open for further replies.