Switches and sockets

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just back sockets right off and use masking tape around them. Takes hardly any time at all.

So am I ok to just unscrew the fronts and leave it connected,bag it, then screw it back on when I'm done????

Surely not if an rcd is fitted as in most modern fuseboards?

Your be surprised how many people haven't got rcd,me one of them,anyway cv why take a chance,if the client don't wanna pay for a spark why should I put my neck on the line,to save them 50 quid.

Last edited:
Minor jobs like replacing sockets and light switches will still need to be carried out to the safety requirements under Part P, but will escape the notification requirement.The Part P guidance defines work which is non-notifiable as work consisting of:

• replacing accessories such as socket outlets, control switches and ceiling rose.

You have misinterpreted the requirements. It states that work must be done in accordance with Part P but will ESCAPE the notification requirement. This means that it does not need to be done by an electrician.

So am I ok to just unscrew the fronts and leave it connected,bag it, then screw it back on when I'm done????

Yeah man! You can take them off and put them back also within the law, providing you are competent..
Phew !!! Thank feck for that..... was shitting. myself there.:RpS_scared: manslaughter charges!..people getting killed:RpS_crying:.

.wish I was as good as jase the ace:RpS_crying:

Did you know your not supposed to go over the speed limit on roads, single & dual carriageways & motorways.
It is illegal.
You have been warned don't all blame me when your doing 5-10 in the pen!!

Whatever the legal requirements...I will continue to unscrew sockets, but leave them connected, so I can plaster behind the socket fronts and make a nice professional job.

Never had any comebacks (touch wood) in 15 years, so I would like to think I actually KNOW WHAT I'M DOING.

[/LIST]

You have misinterpreted the requirements. It states that work must be done in accordance with Part P but will ESCAPE the notification requirement. This means that it does not need to be done by an electrician.

Absolutely right. As long as new circuits and extensions to circuits are not being added on anyone can legally remove and replace or change socket fronts and light fittings. Keep removing them to do a decent job chaps because you can legally!!!

And as much as i hate to admit this i am a qualified sparks by trade although do more plastering than anything else these days!!!!!

Tesco value nappy bags. About 30p for sh1tloads and they smell of delicate flowers.

That's Tesco value!

I've always loosened them off & wrap a carrier bag around then tape it.
Then remove bag & refix the 2 screws, so easy.

But what p1sses me off though is when they get the sparks in to rewire a kitchen & add sockets everywhere & they 1st & 2nd fix it before you go in FFS! :RpS_cursing:
Then you have to spend ages unscrewing the new sockets & bag em up when there's no need if they had just first fixed it like it should be done! :RpS_mad:

This thread is 3 pages on taking sockets off........................:RpS_laugh:

I've always loosened them off & wrap a carrier bag around then tape it.
Then remove bag & refix the 2 screws, so easy.

But what p1sses me off though is when they get the sparks in to rewire a kitchen & add sockets everywhere & they 1st & 2nd fix it before you go in FFS! :RpS_cursing:
Then you have to spend ages unscrewing the new sockets & bag em up when there's no need if they had just first fixed it like it should be done! :RpS_mad:
I think the same, the sparky just wants his bit finished and get his wage even though he knows you are going to take them off again, a clever sparky would wait as the moisture can damage sockets causing rust and also can cause a connection leading to shocks but everything is about getting it done cheap thes days, we have had rads fixed on new boarded walls also.

Whatever the legal requirements...I will continue to unscrew sockets, but leave them connected, so I can plaster behind the socket fronts and make a nice professional job.

Never had any comebacks (touch wood) in 15 years, so I would like to think I actually KNOW WHAT I'M DOING.

Your the man lol hope your luck keeps up i'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Why is it so contentious ? Common sense to take them off and protect them ..
eh??:confused:John I know??? I take the fronts off and bag them,I don't disconnect them, I just thought it got complicated with all the leagal stuff, jail ,competent persons, regulations etc. if someone wants to take the wires out and put them back in, I don't have a prob with that. I just didn't relise. some people though it was a major problem?

Me and mrs Beader went to look at some brand new houses the other week and to my horror saw that when they had been painted the painters had not bothered to remove or loosen off the socket faces and had got paint all around the edges of brand new fittings ffs.It made it all look sh1t and a poor standard of workmanship.As the enemy was quick to point out ,it was only a small thing and they would clean off, but to me its in the details that make the difference between a good job and a bad job. A bit of a tangent but before i plaster around door frames i always run some masking tape over the front of the frame and plaster away without having to scrape the frames clean. Then when the last trowel is done just peel of the tape and whala, nice clean crisp door frames. A bit anal but i is wot i is.:)

eh??:confused:John I know??? I take the fronts off and bag them,I don't disconnect them, I just thought it got complicated with all the leagal stuff, jail ,competent persons, regulations etc. if someone wants to take the wires out and put them back in, I don't have a prob with that. I just didn't relise. some people though it was a major problem?
I was not disagreeing with you,just saying how mad it is re all the opinions,jail time included ha ha

I mask them and plaster up to them with first coat, same with second coat but after first flatten of second coat i remove screws and pull socket clear then fill round behind it with gear before first polish. When done just screw them back to wall. Used to remove before first coat but then run the risk of dropping gear on them unless you bag them.

Take the front off then bag and tape with sparky tape. I also roll the screws up in a bit of tape and stick them to the front. I always give the customer the option of me putting them back on or leaving as is for decorating. Dont forget to remind the customers that the fronts are off if they have kids as fried child looks bad on your rep :RpS_laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.