Skim Coat En Suite

Members online

drsmansfield

Hi, I have just had the wet shower area of my ensuite dry lined. The plasterer is now skimming all the walls over the plasterboard. I thought I had asked for aquaboard instead of normal plasterboard. I was going to ask him to change it to aquaboard.

However, he has assured me that the plaster he is using to skim every where will be non-porous once dried and sealed. Then on top of that we will have porcelain tiles.

Is he correct that the sealed plaster over the plasterboard will be moisture resistant and I didnt need him to change it?

Season 3 Wall GIF by The Simpsons

Hi, I have just had the wet shower area of my ensuite dry lined. The plasterer is now skimming all the walls over the plasterboard. I thought I had asked for aquaboard instead of normal plasterboard. I was going to ask him to change it to aquaboard.

However, he has assured me that the plaster he is using to skim every where will be non-porous once dried and sealed. Then on top of that we will have porcelain tiles.

Is he correct that the sealed plaster over the plasterboard will be moisture resistant and I didnt need him to change it?
Plasterboard will be fine. Absolutely no need to plaster it to be honest. If water gets through tile adhesive, tiles and grout then you've got bigger problems. Never seen a bathroom wall fail before the bathrooms been redone and all the tiles ripped off anyway. Can see no point in aquaboard

Many people say it will be fine yet,
Some people say that is why they make these cement boards etc products!
Water can’t get through porcelain tiles nor correctly applied grout
Usually the silicone fails along the bottom horizontal tile line on a shower tray and home owners don’t notice it. Water ingress builds up over time slowly getting worse in magnitude until the plasterboard goes spongy and the wall moves then the grout falls out between the tiles due to movement then some one says should of used cement boards but silicone was the fail really
CC0861DA-5B7F-4A28-AC10-31EADBC375C1.gif

All those bathrooms falling down with standard plasterboard are testimony to that....

I gut and redo quite a lot of bathrooms and use backer board as much as possible in wet areas, especially showers where there is a lot of water in a confined space. Most have usually degraded badly and PB is falling apart and mouldy.

Skimming PB reduces its ability to carry heavy tiles anyway, so no point. At the very least, if it is used, it’s best to tank it.

I gut and redo quite a lot of bathrooms and use backer board as much as possible in wet areas, especially showers where there is a lot of water in a confined space. Most have usually degraded badly and PB is falling apart and mouldy.

Skimming PB reduces its ability to carry heavy tiles anyway, so no point. At the very least, if it is used, it’s best to tank it.
no reason whatsoever to use standard plasterboard and skim in a wet area.....unless of course you're either clueless or a cheap ass chancer or both

I guess they make tile backers, MR boards etc…just for the fun of it then?
They serve a purpose
Anyone who uses standard board and skims it in wet areas are chancers pure n simple….trades full of em see plenty of evidence of it on here
They make them because they sell

how many bathrooms do you rip out and install in a year?
I don't fit bathrooms I'm a plasterer... I do all the skimming of bathrooms for a couple of local plumbers though. 99% of the time it's ripping tiles off a 10 year old bathroom that were put onto plasternoard or skimmed plasterboard. No problems with integrity of the board after 10years plus. Sometimes removing tiles rips the boards to pieces so rip down, reboard and go again.
It works, no need for cement boards

I don't fit bathrooms I'm a plasterer... I do all the skimming of bathrooms for a couple of local plumbers though. 99% of the time it's ripping tiles off a 10 year old bathroom that were put onto plasternoard or skimmed plasterboard. No problems with integrity of the board after 10years plus. Sometimes removing tiles rips the boards to pieces so rip down, reboard and go again.

Stick to plastering you codger

Agree, cement boards for walls but tile on plywood for floors? If the walls are fully coated with adhesive what difference does it make on what type of board used.

Agree, cement boards for walls but tile on plywood for floors? If the walls are fully coated with adhesive what difference does it make on what type of board used.
Exactly. If any plasterboard gets moisture to it in a bathroom its because it's been terribly tiled.
You won't get an answer as to why a few mm sheet of plywood is OK for the floor but you need cement boards for the walls. Contradicting themselves massively

Who works on site ? do they use cement boards on wet roons now? I never got the point of aqua board, coz tiles should be sealed anyway...could understand it on the ceiling..

Who remembers the proper bathrooms
Armitage shanks tiled in and around straight onto a sand cement walls with the old gypsum skim coat underneath, my grandfather had the best one, best toilet I ever sat on too , solid toilet seats and a deep lovely proper British bath

B6CC51B6-CA09-4055-A645-662BC2087B0A.jpeg

They use moisture boards on sites not a cement board in site.of course they guna say use them as they are 10xs the cost.i did my bathroom 10 years ago in 9.5mm board onto stud and stuck 1 of them wipe down panels on instead of tiles.ripped it out last year as wanted a update,guess what not a thing wrong with the plasterboard behind

They use moisture boards on sites not a cement board in site.of course they guna say use them as they are 10xs the cost.i did my bathroom 10 years ago in 9.5mm board onto stud and stuck 1 of them wipe down panels on instead of tiles.ripped it out last year as wanted a update,guess what not a thing wrong with the plasterboard behind

moisture board in shower/bathroom
cement boards garages/underpasses (y)