Sh*t

Members online

Glad for you mate, could have been a right arse ache by sounds of it
It would have been a ball ache.
But at the same time. If it was down to me I would like the opportunity to put it right. As we're not all cowboys there's plenty of decent tradesmen it's just finding them. Customer service and all that.
As it is it isn't really my fault but I'm going to nip down in the morning and sort it for free anyway.
Good job I'm working for family this week so can pinch a couple of hours.

He a nice guy and just wants everything done right and look perfect which in my eyes is a good thing. He hasn't gone for the cheapest quote and has had me referred initially. Plus he's happy with the work in general which was the first thing he said to me.

It's definitely stuck like s**t though.

I was expecting to get there and there be a total adhesion failure where it was.

I warn every customer that if it cracks they'll need to put a bit of filler in and sand it back as it's fk all to do with me.

Your wasting your time filling it, it needs overboarding and staggering that joint, it's moving probably Coz the weather is getting warmer, it will crack again. Save doing it once its furnished coz you will be kicking yourself and like you said he is a perfectionist and was a good payer. Is it a bungalow?

Your wasting your time filling it, it needs overboarding and staggering that joint, it's moving probably Coz the weather is getting warmer, it will crack again. Save doing it once its furnished coz you will be kicking yourself and like you said he is a perfectionist and was a good payer. Is it a bungalow?
Mate , I don't want to start a riot but what are you suggesting, that he go back and over board the whole lot and skim for one tiny little crack ?

Mate , I don't want to start a riot but what are you suggesting, that he go back and over board the whole lot and skim for one tiny little crack ?

Did you see the pictures ? Hardly small and more than 1

Btw what was your Input you was going to enlighten us with

Did you see the pictures ? Hardly small and more than 1

Btw what was your Input you was going to enlighten us with
I only seen the small picture it looked like paper tape like Flynny said, the rest is irrelevant now as he said first it had all come off (which it didn't)

Agree with the comments but it's just not practical to overboard it would involve paying spark to remove and then rewire a room full of spots lights. Move decorators.
Cancel furniture delivery etc etc.
@flynnyman Hindsight is great but at the end of the day when I assessed the job I was happy there was nothing major wrong.
It was a bog standard room rip a built in wardrobe out and repair and skim room.
We're all or should I say most of us on here experienced enough to be able to identify when a job needs more work that what initially meets the eye. Even if we all have our own way to go about it.

But then we have the age old argument of if there's any movement at all it will crack.
So you overboard and then it cracks again even with staggered joints.

The guy was a good payer Can't deny that but I'm also not a rip off merchant selling an overboard job when it didn't warrant it.

Where's the guarantee that 100% no cracks on a regular board or rip down and board.
Then you get into structure work joists not strong enough etc etc.
The house is 15 years old not 150. We all know they are built like s**t now.

BTW I'm not having a go at you or trying to get into an argument.

Point I'm trying to make is not one of us if we are being totally honest can guarantee something will be 100% when complete.

Just for arguments sake here's the real life non zoomed pictures

20170322_183021.jpg 20170322_183032.jpg 20170322_183051.jpg
Can you see where I'm coming from now

Agree with the comments but it's just not practical to overboard it would involve paying spark to remove and then rewire a room full of spots lights. Move decorators.
Cancel furniture delivery etc etc.
@flynnyman Hindsight is great but at the end of the day when I assessed the job I was happy there was nothing major wrong.
It was a bog standard room rip a built in wardrobe out and repair and skim room.
We're all or should I say most of us on here experienced enough to be able to identify when a job needs more work that what initially meets the eye. Even if we all have our own way to go about it.

But then we have the age old argument of if there's any movement at all it will crack.
So you overboard and then it cracks again even with staggered joints.

The guy was a good payer Can't deny that but I'm also not a rip off merchant selling an overboard job when it didn't warrant it.

Where's the guarantee that 100% no cracks on a regular board or rip down and board.
Then you get into structure work joists not strong enough etc etc.
The house is 15 years old not 150. We all know they are built like s**t now.

BTW I'm not having a go at you or trying to get into an argument.

Point I'm trying to make is not one of us if we are being totally honest can guarantee something will be 100% when complete.

Just for arguments sake here's the real life non zoomed pictures

View attachment 16999 View attachment 17000 View attachment 17001
Can you see where I'm coming from now
I'm not being a smart arse I know cracks appear but more chance on a reskim Coz you don't know whats under what your skimming. I always overboard and don't see a difference in price but offering a better job and less chance of a call back.

Down lights are easy to take down and connect back up or if you can push them up overboard, skim then cut them out after, how big was the ceiling?

Removed a built in wardrobe re route electric and add another socket to middle of back wall and install spots

Don't have a pic of before but you get the idea from this one

20170314_101745.jpg

I'll have to see what's going on first.

@Danny wasn't a case of being the cheapest or anything like that.

The guys a decent fella so I know he's not pulling my chain about it.

Problem I've got now is everything's on hold so wants it sorting tomorrow WTF.

As daft as it sounds I feel like I'm being backed into a corner
Nooooooo when I use to quote... pretty much gave 2 quotes... one to resin and one to overboard and explained the benefits and down sides etc... they then choose and if reskim fails then they already know that you will charge to put it right... just happens that the reskim quote is always cheaper...

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I would of told the spark to knock the ceiling about to do his lights then over board not much difference in price to pregrit and labour.
Have to agree to disagree 2 man job boarding. So have to factor in the cost of another hand or spread plus mats etc.

I get where your coming from but I don't think there's many homeowners out there with a essentially new house that you need to overboard ceiling.

It'll be fine in the end I'll take it as a flynny lesson learned ;);)

Have to agree to disagree 2 man job boarding. So have to factor in the cost of another hand or spread plus mats etc.

I get where your coming from but I don't think there's many homeowners out there with a essentially new house that you need to overboard ceiling.

It'll be fine in the end I'll take it as a flynny lesson learned ;);)
Most of the time the customer is buzzin they don't need to strip wallpaper off the ceiling, it gets a guarantee, extra fire protection, extra sound protection, savings on heat loss, less chance of cracks. :)

Nooooooo when I use to quote... pretty much gave 2 quotes... one to resin and one to overboard and explained the benefits and down sides etc... they then choose and if reskim fails then they already know that you will charge to put it right... just happens that the reskim quote is always cheaper...

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
And if they opted for the re-board @ skim, then they happen to be away for the time you do
It, you just skim it - not that I ever do that....honest

Over boarding is great if the walls are at 90 degree right angles - if not, the margin cuts are a pain to scribe. I spent two years day in day out replacing ceilings for a company - probably about 500 ceilings (mostly lath & plaster). Yes, overboarding is a nice, it gives a controlled set.