Separation issues with embedded mesh in OCR

Members online

Baggins

Hi, I’m a professional bricklayer and a very competent plaster. I am hoping to get some advice from a experienced renderer ,no smart comments please as I know some guys just can’t help themselves. I have tried using some Weber ocr on garden walls as opposed to s&c, this is what I’ve done. Jet washed, Tanking slurry,let dry, 15m beads, Sbr slurry mixed 1: 1: 2 sharp sand. Let to go tacky then Weber ocr, 7mm ish bedded in sheets of bond it fibre mesh 5mm holes in the sheet, and went straight over with another pass. Ruled let it pick up a bit then floated and sponged, covered up with tarp to keep from direct sun. Looked nice and I thought this is the way to go happy days, boy was I wrong! I gave it a few taps with my knuckles a few days later just to see how tough the Weber ocr is. Yeah a got that hollow sound, in a few areas, bit the bullet and knocked them out, but I could just keep going. What has happened is, the bedded in mesh has almost formed a separation layer, the ocr just taps off to the mesh and then I can pull the mesh off but under the mesh solid and well stuck to the background. I bedded in the mesh properly. I’m thinking maybe I should have let the pass with the mesh in take up quite a lot before the second pass or maybe I just floated it to soon. Rendering is down to hard earned painful experience, I am hoping if others have had issues with the mesh not taking in, its definitely not the way I bedded it in.

hard to say I’m only good with s+c looks to me you havent let the first pass dry enough and adhere before putting more gear on especially over a tanking system there’s loads of renderers on here that can give you better advice

I’ve had a few drinks this is all too much what’s going on really though 15mm beads you doing mono but changed your mind the difference between a plasterer and a briclayer they know how to rule and renderer sounds like a mess

Hi Malc, so jet wash walls , leave off with slurry tanking , use Rend aid with mesh bedded in and give it a good scratch. Then ocr in two passes? That sounds sensible to me. In hindsight i would have stuck to S&C , things move on and I like to use new products but i really felt that i did the prep well and had confidence to carry on with the OCR. its so frustrating that its not always about the skill involved in getting a good level finish, so many unknowns can bite you in the ass. I know only one if five plasterers would have had better success with the OCR as most are just dot and dab and skim merchants. Thanks for the reply.

Hi, I’m a professional bricklayer and a very competent plaster. I am hoping to get some advice from a experienced renderer ,no smart comments please as I know some guys just can’t help themselves. I have tried using some Weber ocr on garden walls as opposed to s&c, this is what I’ve done. Jet washed, Tanking slurry,let dry, 15m beads, Sbr slurry mixed 1: 1: 2 sharp sand. Let to go tacky then Weber ocr, 7mm ish bedded in sheets of bond it fibre mesh 5mm holes in the sheet, and went straight over with another pass. Ruled let it pick up a bit then floated and sponged, covered up with tarp to keep from direct sun. Looked nice and I thought this is the way to go happy days, boy was I wrong! I gave it a few taps with my knuckles a few days later just to see how tough the Weber ocr is. Yeah a got that hollow sound, in a few areas, bit the bullet and knocked them out, but I could just keep going. What has happened is, the bedded in mesh has almost formed a separation layer, the ocr just taps off to the mesh and then I can pull the mesh off but under the mesh solid and well stuck to the background. I bedded in the mesh properly. I’m thinking maybe I should have let the pass with the mesh in take up quite a lot before the second pass or maybe I just floated it to soon. Rendering is down to hard earned painful experience, I am hoping if others have had issues with the mesh not taking in, its definitely not the way I bedded it in.
Clearly not a professional plasterer/renderer , jog on back to the bricklayers forum u chancer, 9/10 bricky can barley build a wall plum, what were U thinking trying to render it looooooool

This is the problem with forums, guys who don’t have the experience or knowledge will give the smart comments, rather than passing on the benefit of there knowledge or experience. Plastering is hard work day in and day out. I build houses put the roofs on and plaster them out . I do not call myself a plasterer, but many do, who really are not and only know how to board and skim! I was hoping an experienced renderer would kindly offer me the benefit of there experience in using OCR.

Last edited:
This is the problem with forums, guys who don’t have the experience or knowledge will give the smart comments, rather than passing on the benefit of there knowledge or experience. Plastering is hard work day in and day out. I build houses put the roofs on and plaster them out . I do not call myself a plasterer, but many do, who really are not and only know how to board and skim! I was hoping an experienced renderer would kindly offer me the benefit of there experience in using OCR.
In all fairness I would take on board what @malc has suggested he’s been at this game a long time nearly longer then @The Hobo i may be wrong though

Sounds like you’ve hit the ocr too soon at the rubbing up stage. Pushed it around and lost its key between coats due to the mesh.

Issue is timing.

I'm betting you were possibly a bit slow bedding the mesh in. Mesh has to be fully embedded into a wet mix, and immediately covered over.

Ocr is usually OK, but I've seen your problem with people using normal render, almost loosely laying the mesh 'on' and not in, then laying next coat on, expecting the mesh to be the key aswell.

Bit of sun - it'll blow.

Thanks bobski, I see what you saying but i bedded in the mesh wet and fully bedded it in the first pass, I think Topspread 16, is probably right and my inexperience caught me out and I pushed it around to much while still wet. I have knocked it all off to the mesh and just pulled the mesh out, first pass looks well stuck.
I was thinking, Can I Sbr 1: 1: 2 sharp sand the coat that I have left on and hit it with a 8mm ish, pass of OCR with fibres in, I really don’t want to hack off what was the original first pass i did , just for the sake of it ?

Thanks bobski, I see what you saying but i bedded in the mesh wet and fully bedded it in the first pass, I think Topspread 16, is probably right and my inexperience caught me out and I pushed it around to much while still wet. I have knocked it all off to the mesh and just pulled the mesh out, first pass looks well stuck.
I was thinking, Can I Sbr 1: 1: 2 sharp sand the coat that I have left on and hit it with a 8mm ish, pass of OCR with fibres in, I really don’t want to hack off what was the original first pass i did , just for the sake of it ?
Mate just bed it in with rend-aid and key it once it's set nothing on earth will get it off then use ocr to finish it

Mate u sound like a prick.how do u know 1/5 spreads can only render? Bricklaying is a glorified labourer with a trowel.the shite you guys churn out on new builds is laughable,always top 4 courses lean out at top end of a house,reveals are 8/10 always a inch and half out plus your walls are always 3 inch out of square over a 4meter wall.jog on

Spudknit, 35 years I’ve been in the trade, when we still used browning before skimming. If i new I was getting incoming I would have put my hard hat on and started swapping stories.

Spudknit, 35 years I’ve been in the trade, when we still used browning before skimming. If i new I was getting incoming I would have put my hard hat on and started swapping stories.
fishing record GIF

Thanks Elite , I will definitely do that on what’s left, just wondered if i could save myself hacking off what is solid and give if a thin pass of OCR ?

If it's sound I'd leave it on, if you can't get rend aid or have the time, then slurry/scud will do. I like to stipple heavy, and probably hit it green, depending on metrage and exposure.

Thanks Bobski, you will give me ten years on that , appreciate the advice guys. I definitely would not want to render for a living as I reckon it doesn’t matter how experienced you are or how good , you and do everything right and get caught out and the customer blames you. I got to say bricklaying is simple in comparison but then again so is skimming, as we all know.

Thanks Bobski, you will give me ten years on that , appreciate the advice guys. I definitely would not want to render for a living as I reckon it doesn’t matter how experienced you are or how good , you and do everything right and get caught out and the customer blames you. I got to say bricklaying is simple in comparison but then again so is skimming, as we all know.
Yes pal stick to bricklaying.if you can piss you cam bricklay..glad you've got help bilbo

f**k me this place has gone down hill.

geezer just asking for advice and same.old jumped up bells thinking no one should ask for advice because they have a different trade.

i bet everyone on here has asked a question on how to do.something or chanced their hand at something else...

geezer just asking for advice and same.old jumped up bells thinking no one should ask for advice because they have a different trade.

i bet everyone on here has asked a question on how to do.something or chanced their hand at something else...
Wash your mouth out with soap!

Did u not read his posts? B4 any1 even jumped down his throat he was ripping trade to bits.f**k him