? Sand and cement, ? K-rend, ? SBR first what do you pros think

Members online

rustyjaz

Hi Guys,

You have helped me in the past and hope you come up trump's again.

Small garden wall, looking to render it. I have done some rendering in the past and it's been alright, good enough.

But there is so much conflicting advice bon the concrete block planters. There is no DPM, and I would like to render to floor. The bottom of planter will have some hardcore and then gravel to help with drainage.

Main question is what would you use. S&C, k-rend or board first?

Some have said to scud the wall first. All comments appreciated.

Thanks all

Attachments

• 1621886018543169587148128508214.jpg
    1621886018543169587148128508214.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 282
  • 16218860548705370522137766695016.jpg
    16218860548705370522137766695016.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 438
Hi Guys,

You have helped me in the past and hope you come up trump's again.

Small garden wall, looking to render it. I have done some rendering in the past and it's been alright, good enough.

But there is so much conflicting advice bon the concrete block planters. There is no DPM, and I would like to render to floor. The bottom of planter will have some hardcore and then gravel to help with drainage.

Main question is what would you use. S&C, k-rend or board first?

Some have said to scud the wall first. All comments appreciated.

Thanks all
They will need tanking out first you'll have major problems if you don't and a coping stone on top then use whatever you want

They will need tanking out first you'll have major problems if you don't and a coping stone on top then use whatever you want
Thanks guys. What's best for tanking? Can I paint that thick tar like tanking? Which products are best?

Also, there seems to be a trend for rendered walls without coping. Is that just going to age fast? Is there anyway of getting away without using a coping on top?

Thanks guys

2 coats of sbr slurry (1 cement : 1sbr)

Sand and cement render applied when 2nd coat of sbr is sticky

Coping stones

Thanks guys. What's best for tanking? Can I paint that thick tar like tanking? Which products are best?

Also, there seems to be a trend for rendered walls without coping. Is that just going to age fast? Is there anyway of getting away without using a coping on top?

Thanks guys

Thanks guys
You basically cannot alow the block work to absorb water the render will blow in winter when everything freezes and that is guaranteed without coping stones it won't last very long before it looks f**k*d and will definitely blow

It will probably fail as there is no dpc, no dpm or adequate copings.

The latest fashion of flat tops with no copings is a complete waste of time.

At least fit adequate copings with a built in drip and the coping stuck down with sbr slurry, a tanking of some sort or dpm and stop short at least 150mm off the ground.