ruling hardwall vs bonding

Members online

No members online now.

Plaster_tom

Hi. I'm redoing the walls in my hall/kitchen doing backing coats myself (fair bit of blown render, so I'm redoing them). I'm not a plasterer, but have been:-

cutting out ~1m2 sections of the existing render
knock off back to bare brick, clean up with twist knot wheel on a grinder
Unibond 3x 3:1 pva:water
Last coat tacky before applying bonding coat, building up to the surrounding thickness and ruling off

Results so far seem good (and flat, way better than I could do if I wasn't ruling it to the surrounding render) and solid but I had some questions?

Existing render is up to around half an inch thick in places. Am I ok without metal lathing at this thickness? No tiling is planned, just painted walls.

I could use hardwall, but I've not much experience with it. My understanding is bonding coat is easier to work with and rule off. I could PVA to control the suction for hardwall to make sure it doesn't pull too quick to get it ruled....but then if I'm going to use a bonding agent why not use thistle bonding to my mind. Like I say, results so far seem fine, but I've lots more to do...seeking opinions please bearing in mind I'm not a professional!!

I've always thought hardwall didn't like PVA and background should be dampened to control the suction

Having said that , this week got told by a spread on site he has always used PVA , lol , he's half my age and could write a book on floppy trowels

I've always thought hardwall didn't like PVA and background should be dampened to control the suction

Having said that , this week got told by a spread on site he has always used PVA , lol , he's half my age and could write a book on floppy trowels
That rules out oap @Kinkyboy

Hi. I'm redoing the walls in my hall/kitchen doing backing coats myself (fair bit of blown render, so I'm redoing them). I'm not a plasterer, but have been:-

cutting out ~1m2 sections of the existing render
knock off back to bare brick, clean up with twist knot wheel on a grinder
Unibond 3x 3:1 pva:water
Last coat tacky before applying bonding coat, building up to the surrounding thickness and ruling off

Results so far seem good (and flat, way better than I could do if I wasn't ruling it to the surrounding render) and solid but I had some questions?

Existing render is up to around half an inch thick in places. Am I ok without metal lathing at this thickness? No tiling is planned, just painted walls.

I could use hardwall, but I've not much experience with it. My understanding is bonding coat is easier to work with and rule off. I could PVA to control the suction for hardwall to make sure it doesn't pull too quick to get it ruled....but then if I'm going to use a bonding agent why not use thistle bonding to my mind. Like I say, results so far seem fine, but I've lots more to do...seeking opinions please bearing in mind I'm not a professional!!
You were never a plasterer.

He stated he was NOT a plasterer, you got wrong end of stick again Andrew.
Now apologise to the guy.

Have a look on the BG website , Hardwall needs more than suction control , it dont like any suction tbh

He stated "not a plasterer but have been". So shut up fuckface.
1602356160978.gif

wow...quite a battle started up. I did put a comma in there, and yes I meant I'm not a plasterer (i.e. I'm a diy person) and have been doing xyz. I'm not and never claimed to have been a plasterer, just came for advice!

wow...quite a battle started up. I did put a comma in there, and yes I meant I'm not a plasterer (i.e. I'm a diy person) and have been doing xyz. I'm not and never claimed to have been a plasterer, just came for advice!
Come on fess up , you cunningly placed the comma and have been sent from the plumbers forum

No need to explain mate, it was clear as day to most.