rates of pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do it like nisus, just give um a job lot price, you can hear there brain going into overdrive sometimes working how much your materials cost, to work out your day rate.

When people ask my day rate, I just say I don't work on day rate I give a price...

Problem also is Joe public dont know what a good finish is. Hands up who has been skimming a wall in a domestic and the costomer has said,That looks nice! is it finished now? when youve only just flattened it in!!! Ive heard that so many times over the years! Or you go to price a job and costomer says,we had someone skim this ceiling a couple of years ago. You look up and its been put on wiv a shovel!!!!! But theyre happy wiv it! I think the chancers have f**ked it up too working dirt cheap and doing a shite job.
Once priced a job and as I didnt have much at the time went in at a fair price.Was told Im a rip off so asked what other quotes theyve had.For a 2 day job,80 quid!!! I told them that the mats are 50 quid and asked who gave that price and they told me some guy they met in the pub!! I laughed my nuts off and made my way to the door.

On privates I always give an all in price and a rough idea of how long it will take, sometimes customers say "oh your finished quicker than you thought will it be any cheaper?" to which I reply "if it had taken longer would you have paid me more?", that usually shuts them up!

Lol... My mate use to tell me that because we was new to the trade we had to be cheaper as we did not deserve to the full wack....lol

I glad I did not listen to him, I was like a £400 job is a £400 whether I do it or some other **** does it!!! He now works 7 days a week for £80 a day where I use to only work 5 days and clear £1500 a week....

I agree it fucks the job up cheap prices... I never tell people what my rate is its a skill its a trade I busted my b*ll***s on site labouring in the freezing cold for years not be told that some dip s**t that works in an office is worth more than me.... yeah fricken right!!

The reason why I am not on the tools is because I wont give do something for less than its worth! I wont budge on prices... £80 a day for years of health problems to come??

But you have to do what you got to do, I dont have any kids or even a wife so I can live on tight budget if I need to, damn it I dont even have a car any more...lol

The one thing I have discovered over the years is that the UK does not support Entrepreneurs and small business owners, we seem to get no help at all...

Ok my rant over

Danny

PS these are only my thoughts and do not represent probably anybody elses (having a stressful day) :-(

One more thing,I hate people phoning me up and telling me they have a bit of plastering to be done and then telling me how long it will take me! If they know how long then why are they calling me to do it? Pisses me off!

It;s a pity we all could not come to a understanding on prices we charge in different aspects of plastering. I know different parts of the country charge different
rates so a general per m2 or per hour on domestic or new work. Site work is site work and it is out of our hands regards to price. If we had a section with this and a list of spreads in each area and price the public can acess.

never work pal
everyone has different overheads aswell,i have 4 lads full time,plus subbies, yard, two vans etc
admitedly i aint going to be pricing small £150 jobs but you get the idea

I suppose your right owls , but there must be a box stand price for plastering per m2 . I just find £2 m2 on site a piss take to lads who are doing it.

Not really not when domestic lads are crying about a 100 quid a day or maybe they struggle with 50m Henry how long have you been plastering mate?

yes you can have a standard M2 rate henry but what about if someone needs a m2 patch, are you gonna do it for £2/3. you may have to sheet up, move furniture etc

38 yrs man and boy spunk ,to long . If I was doing a patch beddy then its a rate per hour. Yer right spunk the domestic jobs have priced at £100 a day.
Spunk not all plasterers are plasterers if you get my meaning , that's why they would not be able to do 50m2 a day and to a good standard.

If you work out everything you outlay for a year to run your BUSINESS

eg a sole trader:

• Van loan/lease
• Insurance
• Tax
• Mot
• Service
• Repairs, Tyres etc
• Public liability insurance
• Accountant
• Tools
• Work clothes & boots
• Phones - mobile & landline
• Electricity
• Pc ink & paper for quotes
• Diesel for quoting
• Diesel for work

This can be anything but let's say £7800 a year (this is roughly what mine works out too)

So that is £150 a week over 52 weeks

So if you are charging £100 a day

That's £500 a week minus 20% tax = £400 minus roughly £3 national insurance = £397 minus the £150 you outlay = £247 divide by 5 = £49.40

So reality is £100 a day = £49.40 a day:RpS_thumbdn:

And that's if you work for 52 weeks of the year!

Not really not when domestic lads are crying about a 100 quid a day or maybe they struggle with 50m Henry how long have you been plastering mate?

spunks you are right and you shud be able to do 60-80m2 reasonably comfortably but for me you have tax petrol at least 20 a day and extra 2-3 hours a day plus all the complete boll ocks that comes with site work if i had the choice it would be local ish domestic work all day long

Rock I think site work in someways is better then domestic at least it just skimming on board or float and set so what you see is what you get. The downside is the nobs running it. Domestic is better in some ways but can bring a lot of it's own problems with wall surface of different suction sheeting down to even able to park near a job,

Henry don't forget dogs, cats, kids, customers, customers visitors, customers visitors kids!
They all get in the bloody way at some point:RpS_thumbdn:

That's when the water brush is better than a sprayer nisus - a few stray splashes with that and they soon get out the way:RpS_thumbup:

Yer when the kids are off school it can be a problem and I have had a few nips of dogs .there alright he wont bite you,

Yer when the kids are off school it can be a problem and I have had a few nips of dogs .there alright he wont bite you,

:RpS_biggrin: Yeah or when their big dogs jumping up scratching & slobbering all over you & they say "oh don't worry he's a big softy" :RpS_scared:

Yeah well get your big fat smelly hairy bad breathed sharp clawed ugly stinky dumb mutt off me or I'm outta here:RpS_crying:

I hate working in a room where they need to get through to get to the kitchen & the whole family are in & out every 5 mins:RpS_mad:
Or they keep opening the door to tell you something & you have to walk over & put the dustsheet back for the millionth time:RpS_cursing: cause if you don't you can guarantee a blob of something will drop on that bit of carpet:glare:

Oh & there's the one where someone stands on something when they are in the room your working in then they walk it through the house or on the nice new block paving, wonder who'll get the blame:RpS_sneaky:

spunks you are right and you shud be able to do 60-80m2 reasonably comfortably but for me you have tax petrol at least 20 a day and extra 2-3 hours a day plus all the complete boll ocks that comes with site work if i had the choice it would be local ish domestic work all day long

Rock - 60-80m2 a day, is that in 3 sets or 2? as doing 3 sets itd be a walk in the park, but two massive ones wouldnt be too easy, unless there were big long straight walls or ceilings.

Thing is with site work, can you lay the metreage on all the time? as in, if theres loads of cupboards and small bogs to skim you obviously wont get anywhere near the metreage on as if it was a huge front room or similar?

Alright all you site lads if your looking to to 80 m2 a day and in 3 sets thats 26 m2 a hit, well that's not a lot to handle ,so were are you losing time, and are you having to knock your own gear up, and how much time is lost in cupboards fecking about. My next question is would a ritmo earn you more money because
you would soon get the gear on the walls . So am asking is the problem getting it on or troweling up.

Last edited:
Henry Cupboards are usually done with the left overs, slap a wall on here & there with the end of a mix :RpS_thumbup:
Or an apprentice does em:RpS_biggrin:

for me with the site rate at the min and all that goes with it domestic is miles better. at least YOU get to tell the price instead of being told by some bell end who tries telling you he s making no money as he gets in to his new truck/van who then picks your work to pieces and here s the best bit takes a frikin retention, wtf is that all about plastering is either acceptable immediatly finished or its not why the fcuk shud money be kept off me nah they can stick where the sun shines wa nkers

For the same money I'd pick site over domestic every day only because of the cleaning up, you can still have nightmares on domestic jobs if the customers a knob

Ive never done site, started on domestic so done nought else, Im sure it wouldnt take lon to get up to speed, esspecially with skimming, maybe not floating, providing the area was there and ya didnt have to run between 10 different rooms to get the metreage on itd be easy enough to do 60+m2 a day! HOWEVER I wouldnt want to work like a machine lining someone elses pocket! I enjoy sitting down occasionally and reading the paper between trowels etc/ two sets a day is enough for me!

the good thing about site work is as spunky says, no dust sheets, hopefully flat walls, good craic with the lads and normally good runs. bad bits are health and safety, not great money and theres always some prick telling you how to do your job. good thing about domestics is you are the boss, do what you want when you want to do it, good chance it won't be too far from home. bad things are customers are a ******* nightmare, you have to sheet up everywhere you work, too much competition, theres always furniture in the way, having to hoover up at the end of the day, old shitty walls to go over and a good chance you will encounter artex

if sitework wasnt hounded with H&S id prefer it over domestics any day of the week

If I got 200 a day domestic I'd do it or I'd stick with site work you don't need to get paid for the hassle with site work and on a half decent job you should average 150

You learn to bite you're lip and abuse the site managers enough to keep yourself happy and not get kicked off site

Status
Not open for further replies.