Poor quality/finish of work.

Members online

No members online now.
There is always a side to the story we never get to see or hear. That plaster is terrible that is blatantly obvious. The bit of the story we don't get to hear is it wasnt a tradesman who has done it, you have gone for a very cheap price, you didn't go with someone who had been recommended to you by someone you trust, I could go on. If a advertised plasterer has dome that then feel free to name and shame

Plastering is not a job you can cowboy. you get paid when the job is complete (sometimes that is hard work) you don't get paid upfront slap it on and ride off on your horse. You can't hide bad work in this game.

NOt all people that get ripped off go for the cheapest....

You would be surprised how many people dont know any people who are trades so dont know who to ask for recommendations.....

If someone is charging for plastering I would expect them to be able to actually do it to a suitable standard... the price in my opinion is irrelevant at that point... can you plaster??? yes or no??? yes!!! ok how muc to do XYZ???

(I am playing devils advocate here by the way...)

Wow.....

and you lot think coursers are a problem to the trade... I dont think the person who attempted that has had any training at all...

I would be embarrassed if I turned out shite like that
Having worked at one of those courses it wouldn't surprise me one little bit if that work was attempted by a courser.

NOt all people that get ripped off go for the cheapest....

You would be surprised how many people dont know any people who are trades so dont know who to ask for recommendations.....

If someone is charging for plastering I would expect them to be able to actually do it to a suitable standard... the price in my opinion is irrelevant at that point... can you plaster??? yes or no??? yes!!! ok how muc to do XYZ???

(I am playing devils advocate here by the way...)

I can't understand that mate. You get work done by someone you know can to the job. Only themselves to blame on that one

I’m not bitching or slandering anyone, just asking other plasterers opinions on whether the work should be finished to a higher standard that’s all.. he runs a business.. and certainly isn’t a mate leaving my house in this state

It's really bad from what we can see. Can you tell us how you found the plasterer and name the company? to show any other potential customers..

We have recently had work done in our house, the plasterer we had in sacked off the last room in our house as he was “injured”.. we’ve come back to the house, now the plaster has dried there are multiple areas of it blatantly being rushed and it’s a poor finish, I begrudge paying him in full for the standards he hasn’t fulfilled although it is his livelihood so in two minds!!
Had another guy come in to quote for the last room, says it’s absolutely shocking. Left the man who started the job his money anyway, he forgot it so currently still have it.. would you pay him only for materials and that’s it or would you give him the full whack? Please see attached images for chunks of plaster missing, rough patches, places needed filled and sanded, uneven angles and wonky walls.. and the walls he couldn’t be arsed to do!!! Surely the whole point of getting your house reskimmed is so that you don’t have to fanny on with that?! Dunno if I’m being unreasonable in expecting it to be abit nicer or what!!
What are others opinions?

Thank you :)
pay him for nothing ,that's butchered no way who ever done that was a plasterer just a cowboy .don't pay for materials either why would you whats been done is no good so you will have to plaster over it and buy new material for that ,so pointless paying twice .i wouldn't have him back either get a proper trades man in .now all that said could you what was tell us honestly what was his price to do the job .reason i ask is time and again we see this and the client moans the job is a bad one and it turns out its a friend of a friend who can do a bit of plastering or 9 out of 10 times who ever is cheapest gets it simple as that

Christ almighty that's awful. Terrible terrible attempt at plastering. I think my first cupboards turned out better than that when I first lifted a trowel and they weren't great

This is without doubt the correct advice.
Legally you MUST give him the opportunity to put the work right, but there's no way in hell that he's capable. Just don't give him a penny for that shite.
I kept saying 'he', but of course it could be 'her'?
@JessThePlasterer one of yours?
Worked my arse off doing that and you’re all being mean about it!! :inocente:

@Lemonade97 I’m not sure I’d even pay him the materials to be honest. Let that be a lesson to him! That is disgusting work! And it’s much more work to put right bad fresh plastering than to simply reskim old plaster.

Christ almighty that's awful. Terrible terrible attempt at plastering. I think my first cupboards turned out better than that when I first lifted a trowel and they weren't great
I used to get put in cupboards to not an easy place to work

We have recently had work done in our house, the plasterer we had in sacked off the last room in our house as he was “injured”.. we’ve come back to the house, now the plaster has dried there are multiple areas of it blatantly being rushed and it’s a poor finish, I begrudge paying him in full for the standards he hasn’t fulfilled although it is his livelihood so in two minds!!
Had another guy come in to quote for the last room, says it’s absolutely shocking. Left the man who started the job his money anyway, he forgot it so currently still have it.. would you pay him only for materials and that’s it or would you give him the full whack? Please see attached images for chunks of plaster missing, rough patches, places needed filled and sanded, uneven angles and wonky walls.. and the walls he couldn’t be arsed to do!!! Surely the whole point of getting your house reskimmed is so that you don’t have to fanny on with that?! Dunno if I’m being unreasonable in expecting it to be abit nicer or what!!

You're supposed to let him try to put it right but I wouldn't.

I would get the guy who finished the job to put his work right (assuming some of it is OK) then bill you for it and give him the change.

If he doesn't like that, then make it so he owes you money.

Even my stuff is better than that, that work is appalling

More importantly, found someone worse than me :risas2:

Wow.....

and you lot think coursers are a problem to the trade... I dont think the person who attempted that has had any training at all...

I would be embarrassed if I turned out shite like that

I’m not bitching or slandering anyone, just asking other plasterers opinions on whether the work should be finished to a higher standard that’s all.. he runs a business.. and certainly isn’t a mate leaving my house in this state
get a painter round to qoute you and you will know for sure if you have been done when you see their quote for filling and sanding before any paint goes on the walls.

it’s not as simple as just going over it again either. A lot of margins could be lost you go over it again. Could have to knock it off!

which one did you work at?
I won't name them, but they're here in Essex.
I actually volunteered there and never took a penny, despite it being offered. This was at the time I was considering becoming a lecturer and completed PTLLS.
It soon became clear that there weren't going to be any job opportunities in colleges local to me. I'd already realised that if I worked for one of the short course suppliers I'd be part of the problem not solution.

Ouchy! Ouch!!!
Ffs, that’s disgusting. Don’t pay him a penny that fool needs teaching a lesson.

I won't name them, but they're here in Essex.
I actually volunteered there and never took a penny, despite it being offered. This was at the time I was considering becoming a lecturer and completed PTLLS.
It soon became clear that there weren't going to be any job opportunities in colleges local to me. I'd already realised that if I worked for one of the short course suppliers I'd be part of the problem not solution.
IYO, where are these courses failing? The organisational side, methods, unqualified teachers? I always thought they were ambitious at best in their boasts.

• Funny
Reactions: Djr
IYO, where are these courses failing? The organisational side, methods, unqualified teachers? I always thought they were ambitious at best in their boasts.

Seem pretty obvious that it's down to over confidence coupled with lack of experience. They might be able to show someone how to put one wall on nice onto board but the real world will rarely call for one wall, fix board on to nice new stud, skim it and get paid, will it?

That might be all right if the courser is working in his own house or is a sparky or something patching up his own jobs, has trowel skills and can ask on here but if he takes on professional work then he's going to run into new problems all on his own and even if he doesn't, he's going to find himself trying to do people's living rooms in less than a week and find that he needs to go faster than he's capable.

With mine, you hit it right on the head - just how to size and put up board onto new studs, tape it and skim. No real world scenarios whatsoever, one week course (although I did get it for free :risas:)

Seem pretty obvious that it's down to over confidence coupled with lack of experience. They might be able to show someone how to put one wall on nice onto board but the real world will rarely call for one wall, fix board on to nice new stud, skim it and get paid, will it?

I think it's as simple as the fact that we all know that you can't make someone a plasterer in one, two, three or twenty-three weeks.
Honestly people were believing that they were capable spreads after two days!
A guy came up to me on a Wednesday asking questions about how to tackle certain things. When I said that he shouldn't worry about such things on day three of a course he replied, "well I do need to know as I'm doing this job next week". It turned out that the job was virtually on my doorstep and I couldn't help thinking about this guys 'victims'.
On the last day of a week long course they are sat down and told how to price jobs and run a business. If it wasn't so terrible it'd be laughable.

I think it's as simple as the fact that we all know that you can't make someone a plasterer in one, two, three or twenty-three weeks.
Honestly people were believing that they were capable spreads after two days!
A guy came up to me on a Wednesday asking questions about how to tackle certain things. When I said that he shouldn't worry about such things on day three of a course he replied, "well I do need to know as I'm doing this job next week". It turned out that the job was virtually on my doorstep and I couldn't help thinking about this guys 'victims'.
On the last day of a week long course they are sat down and told how to price jobs and run a business. If it wasn't so terrible it'd be laughable.
There’s so much money in them that the people running them don’t care (not knocking teachers as such just the organisations)

This is my living room so far today! The blooooody difference?!!!

Attachments

• AC7C1278-25AF-4CC0-AB56-CF6F1FCF0322.png
    AC7C1278-25AF-4CC0-AB56-CF6F1FCF0322.png
    799 KB · Views: 262
  • 8B17AAD6-98DA-4CBB-AA36-72D1194FAF1C.png
    8B17AAD6-98DA-4CBB-AA36-72D1194FAF1C.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 271
  • 2F6C5BA8-4263-4007-832D-B3124851E9AF.png
    2F6C5BA8-4263-4007-832D-B3124851E9AF.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 272