Poor quality/finish of work.

Members online

Currently in dispute of paying him, offered to cover materials as I feel bad. However, will name and shame once something is settled. He’s based in the north east

I think it's as simple as the fact that we all know that you can't make someone a plasterer in one, two, three or twenty-three weeks.
Honestly people were believing that they were capable spreads after two days!
A guy came up to me on a Wednesday asking questions about how to tackle certain things. When I said that he shouldn't worry about such things on day three of a course he replied, "well I do need to know as I'm doing this job next week". It turned out that the job was virtually on my doorstep and I couldn't help thinking about this guys 'victims'.
On the last day of a week long course they are sat down and told how to price jobs and run a business. If it wasn't so terrible it'd be laughable.
Yeah, re-reading my question, I realise it's a pretty dumb one, expertly summed up by you and Steveio (don't know how to turn names blue). Our DIY course states that we will teach you how to plaster, not to be a plasterer, a lifetime of difference. As Jess says, there's so much dough in it they'll churn 'em out. I think there should be some kind of regulatory body that oversees it or even better, they have to work with an experienced plasterer for at least six months.

Yeah, re-reading my question, I realise it's a pretty dumb one, expertly summed up by you and Steveio (don't know how to turn names blue). Our DIY course states that we will teach you how to plaster, not to be a plasterer, a lifetime of difference. As Jess says, there's so much dough in it they'll churn 'em out. I think there should be some kind of regulatory body that oversees it or even better, they have to work with an experienced plasterer for at least six months.

Use @ - @chris hollidge.

The thing is, working with a proper spread would negate the need for doing a short course.

Use @ - @chris hollidge.

The thing is, working with a proper spread would negate the need for doing a short course.
Not necessarily. They'd realise that what they knew was very little. As you said, the real life domestic or site plasterer is used to everyday problem solving and tips and tricks. BUT...my idea is just that, an idea and one that probably wouldn't get past ideas stage, especially if you were on the panel!!

We have recently had work done in our house, the plasterer we had in sacked off the last room in our house as he was “injured”.. we’ve come back to the house, now the plaster has dried there are multiple areas of it blatantly being rushed and it’s a poor finish, I begrudge paying him in full for the standards he hasn’t fulfilled although it is his livelihood so in two minds!!
Had another guy come in to quote for the last room, says it’s absolutely shocking. Left the man who started the job his money anyway, he forgot it so currently still have it.. would you pay him only for materials and that’s it or would you give him the full whack? Please see attached images for chunks of plaster missing, rough patches, places needed filled and sanded, uneven angles and wonky walls.. and the walls he couldn’t be arsed to do!!! Surely the whole point of getting your house reskimmed is so that you don’t have to fanny on with that?! Dunno if I’m being unreasonable in expecting it to be abit nicer or what!!
What are others opinions?

Thank you :)
Hi,
Blimey, not one to slag other peoples work but that really isnt great. somebody claiming to be a plasterer I would think.
I would pay him for materials only at the most, and for any work your happy with?
If hes prepared to sort it out give him the option or say it will go to a skilled plasterer instead!
The materials have also been wasted really.
We all have bad days agreed, but that looks like more than a bad day.
Get a good plasterer in to do it properly and the walls should need minimal or no filling or prepping, ready to paint with a miss coat to start.
Im sure there is someone on here locally to you who would sort this for you.
Simon

Last edited:
Use @ - @chris hollidge.

I agree, I trained for 3 months as a plasterer,but didn’t really learn anything until I plastered with a real spread for two years, and I’m still learning after 7 years, and I’ve been a tradesman since 1992, mainly as a kitchen fitter! I’m still learning doing that too!