Plaster detached from previous damp issue

mrmeanor

Hi there,

I've just bought a house (1930s ish) where there is evidence of previous damp, as plaster has failed in certain places (lower corners of the living room) and has either crumbled off the wall or bulging in certain places.

I cant find any evidence of existing damp or water ingress, and the plaster is now dry. I've also taken up the carpets which are dry and there are no damp floorboards. On the other side of the wall is lackered brickwork, again with no evidence of water collecting from either failed guttering or standing water at ground level. So it suggests to me it was a previous issue that was fixed, but the previous owner (an elderly man) never bothered to have the plasterwork sorted out.

Is this a familiar issue? Can this just be cleaned up and replastered? I've attached a couple of photos.

Many thanks,

Attachments

• 20191214_134253[1].jpg
    20191214_134253[1].jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 233
  • 20191214_134245.jpg
    20191214_134245.jpg
    602.2 KB · Views: 250
Hack off pal a good meter high..let it dry out then use limelight renovation plaster then skim using high impact finishing plaster,dont put any pva at all on the limelight if ur feathering in..only pva existing wall..limelight will sort it it will allow your wall to breathe..something along these lines

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191224-205839_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191224-205839_Gallery.jpg
    569.3 KB · Views: 228
  • Screenshot_20191224-205849_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191224-205849_Gallery.jpg
    630.9 KB · Views: 212
  • Screenshot_20191224-205827_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191224-205827_Gallery.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 213
Hi there,

I've just bought a house (1930s ish) where there is evidence of previous damp, as plaster has failed in certain places (lower corners of the living room) and has either crumbled off the wall or bulging in certain places.

I cant find any evidence of existing damp or water ingress, and the plaster is now dry. I've also taken up the carpets which are dry and there are no damp floorboards. On the other side of the wall is lackered brickwork, again with no evidence of water collecting from either failed guttering or standing water at ground level. So it suggests to me it was a previous issue that was fixed, but the previous owner (an elderly man) never bothered to have the plasterwork sorted out.

Is this a familiar issue? Can this just be cleaned up and replastered? I've attached a couple of photos.

Many thanks,
I would be more worried about those two big red circles that you have got in your room.......just saying

As above, but if the plaster is off it would be silly not to inject the wall also...

Attachments

• IMG_20191216_154825212.jpg
    IMG_20191216_154825212.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 186
Sparky f**k*d up with them spot lights

hes f**k*d up with the whole house. Lath n plaster n brick build. Used a f**k**g sds to chase. Fuxked all the walls.

he’s actually lucky he f**k*d the spots too as I’m not boarding n skimming the lid. Artex with spots is like a baby with an ear Ring

hes f**k*d up with the whole house. Lath n plaster n brick build. Used a f**k**g sds to chase. Fuxked all the walls.

he’s actually lucky he f**k*d the spots too as I’m not boarding n skimming the lid. Artex with spots is like a baby with an ear Ring
Leaving the artex but putting spot lights in?? Wtf

Hack off pal a good meter high..let it dry out then use limelight renovation plaster then skim using high impact finishing plaster,dont put any pva at all on the limelight if ur feathering in..only pva existing wall..limelight will sort it it will allow your wall to breathe..something along these lines

I've actually had another look at this, and picked away at the plaster. It appears that the inner layer of bricks only comes up about 10 inches from the floor, above this and beneath the plaster is a coarse clay-like substance which also is quite brittle i this area. What is this, is it plaster? Is this standard material of houses of a certain age? It must be about 4 inches thick in total and i can only assume adheres to the outer layer of brickwork (otherwise the house would fall down!).

See attached image

Attachments

• 20200102_132734.jpg
    20200102_132734.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 199
I've actually had another look at this, and picked away at the plaster. It appears that the inner layer of bricks only comes up about 10 inches from the floor, above this and beneath the plaster is a coarse clay-like substance which also is quite brittle i this area. What is this, is it plaster? Is this standard material of houses of a certain age? It must be about 4 inches thick in total and i can only assume adheres to the outer layer of brickwork (otherwise the house would fall down!).

See attached image

Why are you picking?

You can see there's all kinds of wrong there.

Oh how I love to make customers like you jump with my plastering hammer.

Can you have a look at this I've been picking at and tiptoeing around, please?

Certainly madam. Step to one side please.

KER-SMASH!!!

Why are you picking?

You can see there's all kinds of wrong there.

Oh how I love to make customers like you jump with my plastering hammer.

Can you have a look at this I've been picking at and tiptoeing around, please?

Certainly madam. Step to one side please.

KER-SMASH!!!

With that sort of attitude i would never hire you. Get back in your van, listen to your Talk Sport and dont reply unless you have something constructive to offer, you moron.

With that sort of attitude i would never hire you. Get back in your van, listen to your Talk Sport and dont reply unless you have something constructive to offer, you moron.
I think that sounds a little harsh, stereotyping a plasterer is serious these days, best delete it and call him a c'unt before he sees it.

Bit of caulk will get that....

If I were you I'd tell gogglebum to take his alcoholic like back.

You don't want to have anything to do with him or his likes.

And you'll be sorry you know. We're all the same. There's only @JessThePlasterer who pretends not to be and she's busy. God knows what you'd find in her cement bags when she was done anyway.

So you'll have to waste three hundred quid on a four day course then you'll be back here asking questions like what hand is best to hold your trowel in and we won't tell you.

Gogglebum would tell you if he knew but he doesn't.

So you're f**k*d.

Last edited:
If I were you I'd tell gogglebum to take his alcoholic like back.

You don't want to have anything to do with him or his likes.

And you'll be sorry you know. We're all the same. There's only @JessThePlasterer who pretends not to be and she's busy. God knows what you'd find in her cement bags when she was done anyway.

So you'll have to waste three hundred quid on a four day course then you'll be back here asking questions like what hand is best to hold your trowel in and we won't tell you.

Gogglebum would tell you if he knew but he doesn't.

So you're f**k*d.
U really are a sad t**t

Dont listen pal..this steef isnt even a plasterer,hes just come on here as he has no real life friends,basically he cleans s**t and piss off carpets for a living and re-paints badly left flats etc...theres levels in plastering and hes on the bottom rung,or 1 below if there was one...steef,can you fix it...no I cant should be his tag line..hes also a bottle job aswell

Dont listen pal..this steef isnt even a plasterer,hes just come on here as he has no real life friends,basically he cleans s**t and piss off carpets for a living and re-paints badly left flats etc...theres levels in plastering and hes on the bottom rung,or 1 below if there was one...steef,can you fix it...no I cant should be his tag line..hes also a bottle job aswell

You're going to be sorry you said that GOGGLEBUM.

Momma got something cooking for you. Something spicy.

Hot and fresh out the kitchen.

Ooh yeah. You'll see.