Part or full reno

Members online

windy

Private Member
not plastering related per se but there's a lot of building exp on here. Me and the wife outgrown our existing 3 bed terrace which we have done which we had renovated from top to bottom.. cant extend or do loft conversion due to planning regs so its time to move..
We have 3 teenage kids who can't offer any help as only early teens..we are considering a full renovation project to get us the worst house on the best Street..

We would have to live in it whilst doing it and was wondering if anyone has done this whilst living in it and how stressful it was...and while there it was a mistake etc

Tia

I would advise against it, but sometimes there is no option. Purely based on what I've seen with my customers...no kitchen for months, washing up in the bath daily, dust everywhere...

I would advise against it, but sometimes there is no option. Purely based on what I've seen with my customers...no kitchen for months, washing up in the bath daily, dust everywhere...
Was thinking this...have a good marriage and want to keep it that way

As per FreeD really. It can work, but you’d have to run it like a military operation As much as possible and have Sparks, plumbers and other trades who are sympathetic to your cause.
If you can be disciplined and and concentrate On getting a few zones completed at a time then it can work, but I’ve known some that start enthusiastically, get bored with one room, start hacking at the next and before they know it are living in a hell hole with no end in sight.

I did this mate I think you are ready go for it too, remember you only live once mate and if you don’t go for it now you’ll probably look back with total regret

Get the bedrooms done first then you all have a nice room to retreat to , the rest can look like a s**t hole for as long as it takes after that even if it’s a few years

not plastering related per se but there's a lot of building exp on here. Me and the wife outgrown our existing 3 bed terrace which we have done which we had renovated from top to bottom.. cant extend or do loft conversion due to planning regs so its time to move..
We have 3 teenage kids who can't offer any help as only early teens..we are considering a full renovation project to get us the worst house on the best Street..

We would have to live in it whilst doing it and was wondering if anyone has done this whilst living in it and how stressful it was...and while there it was a mistake etc

Tia
We done this for months, only had a small area in living room for cooking and our bedrooms. Very stressful time but completely worth it in the end. The house was a repo and as I done all the work myself and pulled in favours for the rest the money we saved completely outweighed the harsh living. Had it valued recently and we’ve made quite a considerable amount of money should we want to sell.

Tia

Absoloutley terrible idea for a family. Lend as much as possible and throw the kitchen sink at getting a good spec new build.

Your gonna put a massive strain on your marriage and your lives. In your shoes I would make do, a lot of our parents did it . I shared a box room with two brothers for a while , the kids won't hate you for it,. Remember stress is a killer. Good luck , let us know how you get on , we will still be here,

It will be hard to do with 3 kids, we did it b4 kids and lived in 1 bedroom with basic bathroom and kitchen working almost every evening and weekend on it for months to get it tidy, if can afford it rent a place for Mrs n kids while getting it good enough to live in it all, or if room n Mrs likes caravans get a static on site !

It will be hard to do with 3 kids, we did it b4 kids and lived in 1 bedroom with basic bathroom and kitchen working almost every evening and weekend on it for months to get it tidy, if can afford it rent a place for Mrs n kids while getting it good enough to live in it all, or if room n Mrs likes caravans get a static on site !
Just do it and get your Mrs pregnant at same time to add to the difficulties and then get Kevin McCloud round to mock you on tv

Done it with every house we've ever had but stopped short of a caravan in the garden to kip in while your doing it unlike a few I know. As said small bites at a time, yes it's hard going at times and your missus will get sick of living in a sheit tip from time to time and you will be sat there thinking am I ever going to get it finished but, you do and generally speaking financially you nearly always end up better off. Tbh your kids being the age they are should make it easier cos it was a piece of p ish renovating one with 3 kids under the age of 6 :rolleyes:

We did ours In 2016/17 , side extension back extension and a loft whilst living in it , it can be tough , throw in our neighbours videoing us , solicitors , court etc it soon becomes a laugh , how I wasn’t fully homicidal I’ll never know
That aside , if you can organise it , budget properly, have real expectations of time , delays , unforeseen problems , you’ll be fine

Ye we arnt going for anything as grand as extentions etc.. prob more what you would describe as a recently died pensioner style of house. Kitchens bathrooms re wire ,flooring painting and plastering etc

Ye we arnt going for anything as grand as extentions etc.. prob more what you would describe as a recently died pensioner style of house. Kitchens bathrooms re wire ,flooring painting and plastering etc
You’d be fine , get it first fixed for wiring , plumbing if needed , do one room at a time starting upstairs, once you gave near finished rooms you’ll find it easy

Tia
I've done three properties now including building one to move up the ladder,
The last one which I have just finished cost me everything I had it was derelict I pulled in a couple of jobs whilst the sale was going on to enable me to convert a garage for temporary living accommodation, we moved to a different part of the country that we didn't know flat on our asses with 3 teenagers having to travel and build up business in the new area to enable us to finance the project because we didn't want to go into debt it's been pure hell,
But now it's done we've got more than we could ever wish for and don't owe anybody a penny,
It's worth it now but haven't got it in me to do it again.

Live in the North West there's not usually strolling fields to accommodate a 6 berth caravan in the grounds lol
Buy a cheap marquee as big as possible , plenty of dry storage

Windy I think you're spot on about the worst house on the best street.
Go for a full on renovation, but then throw on a big extension as well. Just as you think you're going to get things under control I suggest that you buy yourself a lake. Not a nice finished article, but one that needs masses of work doing, and obviously put this ahead of getting the house finished.
After living in a hovel for about eight years you'll get used to it, this is the time to start work on every room in the property, without ever finishing one.
If after all this you're still married, you've found a keeper.
Hope that helps.