Back to Brick or not?

Members online

nwetp

Hi all,

First time posting. In the middle of a house renovation & extension. Long story but the plan was to finish the living room and close it off whilst the dining / kitchen is done / extended so we had somewhere to be. Had a fire /media wall fitted in the living room and the plan was to replace the patio and skim at the same time; however now a small section of wall on the left of the patio has to come down to be rebuilt in stronger brick to take a beam above it.

As the fireplace was already ordered and booked in and didn't want to delay again we had it fitted, however now left with a room that will shortly need finishing after the wall is done and patio changed out to french doors.

I want to have the ceiling over-boarded - its full of cracks and previous bad repairs / cuts for cable runs for home theatre etc so I will go ahead with that (hopefully they can match my existing cut outs! as I wanted to get cables in there and no access from above (tiled bathroom). I will also be closing up the double door to the dining room (i'll just build the framework and leave the plasterer to board it over whilst doing the ceiling)

I've had one or two guys around during other jobs; one said to blue grit the walls and then skim it, board the ceiling. Another told me to take it back to brick as some of the plaster has been loose around doors / where skirting is taken off etc). and to have it completely boarded. The loose plaster seems to be pretty much done gone, it certainly isn't loose anywhere at the top, was around doors, skirting, sockets / bottom of wall etc.

What do you guys reckon from the pics? I'm not exactly pressed for time, this is the main living room and want to make sure its right. It will just be ceiling and three walls, no need to re-do the fireplace.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1055.jpg
    IMG_1055.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_1056.jpg
    IMG_1056.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_1057.jpg
    IMG_1057.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1058.jpg
    IMG_1058.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1059.jpg
    IMG_1059.jpg
    587 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1060.jpg
    IMG_1060.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 252
Hi all,

First time posting. In the middle of a house renovation & extension. Long story but the plan was to finish the living room and close it off whilst the dining / kitchen is done / extended so we had somewhere to be. Had a fire /media wall fitted in the living room and the plan was to replace the patio and skim at the same time; however now a small section of wall on the left of the patio has to come down to be rebuilt in stronger brick to take a beam above it.

As the fireplace was already ordered and booked in and didn't want to delay again we had it fitted, however now left with a room that will shortly need finishing after the wall is done and patio changed out to french doors.

I want to have the ceiling over-boarded - its full of cracks and previous bad repairs / cuts for cable runs for home theatre etc so I will go ahead with that (hopefully they can match my existing cut outs! as I wanted to get cables in there and no access from above (tiled bathroom). I will also be closing up the double door to the dining room (i'll just build the framework and leave the plasterer to board it over whilst doing the ceiling)

I've had one or two guys around during other jobs; one said to blue grit the walls and then skim it, board the ceiling. Another told me to take it back to brick as some of the plaster has been loose around doors / where skirting is taken off etc). and to have it completely boarded. The loose plaster seems to be pretty much done gone, it certainly isn't loose anywhere at the top, was around doors, skirting, sockets / bottom of wall etc.

What do you guys reckon from the pics? I'm not exactly pressed for time, this is the main living room and want to make sure its right. It will just be ceiling and three walls, no need to re-do the fireplace.

Thanks
Personally I would remove mate.Pic two looks loose.

Why take advice from your two helpers , surely you should ask your plasterer

Nice on thanks guys, SDS coming out tomorrow then!

It was few plasterers who were here and and a builder. One quoted too high and the other doesn’t do cornice, ideally want it doing at the same time if the pocket can stomach it. Struggling to find anyone decent in north west area.

Did the plasterer charge extra for the tiger stripes on your media wall or were they in the price?
Wanted leopard print but couldn’t stretch that far.
The fireplace was a complete build and they sent their own plasterer who had a lot of good reviews, to my eye it looks a neat job but they said the heat proof board would just suck all the moisture out, it was boarded then blue gritted beforehand but it dried completely in a few days. The fire is a large kw gas fire.