Members online

sonata

Hello! I was hoping to get some advice.

I moved into a new build flat and whilst getting a snagging list together I discovered unevenness across all ceilings in the flat. I've reported this and it's getting fixed now, as I it just didn't seem like the ceiling should be this uneven. I would understand if this was a Tudor cottage, but it's a brand new building...

However... when I look at what they have done so far, which is fill in areas with (I believe) cement and sand them down, plus one coat of paint so far (work to be continued tomorrow) it seems like it doesn't look much better. I am very concerned and not an expert! Am I being unreasonable by asking to get this fixed? It this a bad job or is this normal?

I've included 3 shots of before work done and 4 shots of repair work so far.

(Just to add, you can't see it when lights are pointing downwards, only when you light the ceiling from the side)

Would really really appreciate any advice!

Attachments

• IMG_7653.JPG
    IMG_7653.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 437
  • IMG_7658.JPG
    IMG_7658.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 559
  • IMG_7660.JPG
    IMG_7660.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 358
  • IMG_7700.JPG
    IMG_7700.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 347
  • IMG_7702.JPG
    IMG_7702.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 370
  • IMG_7711.JPG
    IMG_7711.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 293
  • IMG_7714.JPG
    IMG_7714.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 450
It's called a site monkey skim boy using a s*p*r*lex syndrome..tbf don't shine your light like that shine them normally but ye it's s**t

Hello! I was hoping to get some advice.

I moved into a new build flat and whilst getting a snagging list together I discovered unevenness across all ceilings in the flat. I've reported this and it's getting fixed now, as I it just didn't seem like the ceiling should be this uneven. I would understand if this was a Tudor cottage, but it's a brand new building...

However... when I look at what they have done so far, which is fill in areas with (I believe) cement and sand them down, plus one coat of paint so far (work to be continued tomorrow) it seems like it doesn't look much better. I am very concerned and not an expert! Am I being unreasonable by asking to get this fixed? It this a bad job or is this normal?

I've included 3 shots of before work done and 4 shots of repair work so far.

(Just to add, you can't see it when lights are pointing downwards, only when you light the ceiling from the side)

Would really really appreciate any advice!
That’s the worst tape and joint I’ve ever seen, shocking

Thank you for all the feedback, I had a feeling this wasn't good. Is there anything that can be done? They've yet to fix my bedroom and I'm having second thoughts about them going ahead with it, given how little improvement it resulted in....

The builder I spoke to this morning (although it was hard to understand because he doesn't speak English very well) said that the alternative is add on 5mm extra layer on top to make it smooth again. 5mm sounds like a lot.

Sounds like he’s gearing up his square heads to skim the full ceiling
Not sure exactly what skimming the ceiling means, but it seems like that is what they've done today, they put stuff all over the ceiling and sanded it down.

I knew that quality of building is really poor in the UK, but seeing it first hand and how incompetent the builders are doesn't cease to shock

We all have days when we see our work in a bad light like that you know when it looks undescribable like wtf is that? And it looks s**t but this is a blatant two trowel finish in that light it will show up everything but I’d be getting onto the builder that’s shocking