Mugs game

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincey

Private Member
Went to a quote this morning looked in the kitchen/diner first...it needed total
reboard on walls and a sliver on ceiling where wall was taken out.skimming of ceiling and all walls.the dude asked how much I told him two days cost and the materials cost...he took a big sigh and said there is two more rooms upstairs and one wall in the bathroom also the livingroom to do but the last guy he had a quote off before me said he would do all the rooms mentioned for the price i gave for just the kitchen..
I said my pleasantries and left sharp
On my way home i was thinking what mug is going to do that job for that price.
Anyways by the time i got home i was feeling a whole lot better that mug was not me...
To all the younger plasterers out there thinking how to price up there work i say this
Just remember a checkout assistant at aldi gets £12 per hour and they are not a skilled trade

U probably right there.what made me laugh is there was 4guys there doing rewire on the whole house on a Sunday morning probably 5 times the price I gave for the kitchen by the time plasterer gets there all the money is gone

If cusomers cant see there been made a mug of by going for these ridiculously cheap quotes then its at there own peril ill wait for the call saying we had this lad in for a day and he's made a mess can you come and have a look and finish rest of work for us! No sorry too busy ha ha ha! :RpS_lol:

Think the problem is.. these cheapo.s do the job, it will be shite, but the customer may put up with it for the price, that doesnt help proper plasterers who are getting short of work because of this...

They are foolish some people I had one only last week spent nearly two hours there measuring up and going through what they wanted doing rang them with quote the following day only to be greeted with does that include the radiators and skirting ! Haha no it feckin don't cheeky fukkers 3 brand new cars on drive nice decent size house makes you laugh then they progress to tell me two other plasterers have let them down sometimes I wonder why I keep at it honestly when you have people giving it the big I am asking for peanuts and ile do it in a day then not turning up to do it , and when someone genuine turns up they think they are being fiddled!

Had one the other day - saw straight through him

Jack of all trades doing a house up - wanted a 6m x 4m bedroom skimming out for £250 ... laughed when he text me saying im very dear .. he said if you'll do it for this its yours .... Sorry i'll pass m8 - get some other mug to do it haha

Its all these bidding websites aswell , they think we will just go cheaper to get it .... No thats my price for doing the work properly and my way , the price you got they may not do the same way and bodge it up etc ......

Its all these bidding websites aswell , they think we will just go cheaper to get it .... No thats my price for doing the work properly and my way , the price you got they may not do the same way and bodge it up etc ......

Yeah I agree m8 - ones like mybuilder where the customers telling the tradesmen what there paying I always found strange

Id never tell a plumber who I'd called out what im paying and I wouldn't expect to be told im paying this ..... sadly people will work for what there told though lol

Off this week for the first time in a long time,got work next week(probably too much) I am not normally interested in jobs under £500 plus materials for a day's work for our 2/1 Gang, rarely do anything on myown ,can't be fukked to be honest.

I've done 2 jobs off my builder when things where quiet,that was nearly 2 years ago but now there seems to be more and more plasterers bidding on jobs were I wouldn't bother and wouldn't say they're chancers like you said

why bid against 9 others for a patching job ?? price is going to be shite... if you have no work I suppose, not for me though..

I don't but that's the way mybuilder has gone,its bombarded with more and more plasterers its not worth bidding anymore

I don't but that's the way mybuilder has gone,its bombarded with more and more plasterers its not worth bidding anymore

Chancers is another term for coursers, whether or not they are any good is irrelevant because the amount of them has destroyed the plastering trade.
As for any skilled tradesman letting a customer dictate how much they will pay him that says it all really?
If a so called plasterer is having to bid against other guys then there is only one winner, the stupid customer who propably enjoys watching a load of knobs fighting over his scraps of a job?

Agree,there was atime when there was only 2or 3 spreads bidding but not now,its just a waste of time

Yeah for me its having self respect and knowing what your worth .... Ive done the ' i'll knock abit off to keep me busy' but now I honestly cant be bothered because after along day I sit there and think what was the point ... yeah its money but just gives me the hump and the reality is ive caused it myself .... rather lie in bed or chill out at home than work for peanuts or let someone dictate to me what there paying .... I don't negotiate nor will I lower my prices ( unless its something like the customer gritting out a room for me )

Think u are right all rated people n my builder etc do is make a cut out of a job that is what I think is stupid all these guys giving money to them lowering there wage they end up working for nothing I am surprised they get an advert allowed on here to be fare.rated people say on there adverts on redio 'trades rated by people like you' well that says it all a job rated by someone who hasn't got a clue about what you are doing ...and in terms of dragging the trade down it has no system in place to prove or approve quality of anyone's work....

Think u are right all rated people n my builder etc do is make a cut out of a job that is what I think is stupid all these guys giving money to them lowering there wage they end up working for nothing I am surprised they get an advert allowed on here to be fare.rated people say on there adverts on redio 'trades rated by people like you' well that says it all a job rated by someone who hasn't got a clue about what you are doing ...and in terms of dragging the trade down it has no system in place to prove or approve quality of anyone's work....

Just a race to the bottom them sites.

I might launch one called how sh1te and cheap can you do a job . com

It is that time of year...you got to hold out and keep your prices high wait for all the cheap spreads to get busy and then it will come good.

I appreciate not everybody can do this but If you have your prices high in the first place you should be able to keep enough back for when it gets quieter in Jan/Feb.

Off this week for the first time in a long time,got work next week(probably too much) I am not normally interested in jobs under £500 plus materials for a day's work for our 2/1 Gang, rarely do anything on myown ,can't be fukked to be honest.
I knew I was right about you:RpS_sneaky:

Yeah for me its having self respect and knowing what your worth .... Ive done the ' i'll knock abit off to keep me busy' but now I honestly cant be bothered because after along day I sit there and think what was the point ... yeah its money but just gives me the hump and the reality is ive caused it myself .... rather lie in bed or chill out at home than work for peanuts or let someone dictate to me what there paying .... I don't negotiate nor will I lower my prices ( unless its something like the customer gritting out a room for me )

amen to that brother!

the day a customer tells me what i should do the job for will be the day i hang my trowel up

Had a few over the last 6 month
'Oh such and such said it would be around this much'

Last job I looked at was a massive extension that the builder had 'ripped them off'
Lambo and Porsche on drive then looked at me funny when I gave them a honest price after walking them through what had to be done goin forward
Mugs haha

Status
Not open for further replies.