Lime or Not To Lime - That is the Question

Rustygreen

evening All,

I've had some good advice and need just a little more.

I'm doing an internal s/c render and have the scratch coat on the walls. I used 4-1 with plasticiser for that coat.

I plan to do the next coat tomorrow and need to know if I should add hydrated lime. I've got a bag already but on the back of the plasticiser it says don't add lime. What do you guys think? Should I add one or the other or both?

Also what mix ratio? Should I wet the scratch coat before going over it and how think can I put this coat on as need to make up 15mm in some places.

Thanks

whats cracking ?
if you're applying and its cracking your doing it wrong simples ,fluffy mix you can use lime but you have used plasticizer so use it again sounds like you will be slow using it so wet scratch coat down first and keep it damp ,if you put too much thickness on in one go it will slump and slide,
p.s i hope it's your own house your learning on

Thanks again.

It's. It cracking... I mean stop future cracking with movement in an old house.

So will adding lime make it lighter and easier to put on or the same as with plasticiser?

Should I go 5-1 or go 5-1-1 with the lime and leave out plasticiser?

so you think a bit of lime will stop movement cracks ,i.e twenty ton moving in any direction will crack 15/20mm of lime ,cement or whatever you put on wall ,there's nothing you can do until it happens

I understand this but was told it stops small cracks as more flexible....

Besides that does it make it easier to apply with the lime added or is it the same as the plasticiser?

Thanks for your time

I understand this but was told it stops small cracks as more flexible....

Besides that does it make it easier to apply with the lime added or is it the same as the plasticiser?

Thanks for your time

Just out of interest ..
Did your mum leave you out in the rain ??
Rusty ??

evening All,

I've had some good advice and need just a little more.

I'm doing an internal s/c render and have the scratch coat on the walls. I used 4-1 with plasticiser for that coat.

I plan to do the next coat tomorrow and need to know if I should add hydrated lime. I've got a bag already but on the back of the plasticiser it says don't add lime. What do you guys think? Should I add one or the other or both?

Also what mix ratio? Should I wet the scratch coat before going over it and how think can I put this coat on as need to make up 15mm in some places.

Thanks
They do say that freeflo shouldn't be but into lime based mixes.
I was questioned by the main contracts manager who told me not to use in the top coat.
So I said I never do use with lime because it says Not to on the tub!!
But obviously I thought F..k that and used it anyway.
It would be impossible to do it without