Lime floor screed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigK

Private Member
Hi fellas, a friend of mine is having an extension built and some underfloor heating in his kitchen.
The present dwelling is a couple of hundred years old and once his current floor is dug out he is putting the little ball stuff (I've forgot the name of it) that lets moisture run under the building, then celotex, then the underfloor pipes, and then a lime floor screed.
Another friend of ours is going to do the building work.
He has notions of doing things in lime as in keeping with the dwelling.
1. The lime floor screed is going to present a problem with timescale both with the builder and client.
Is there any other products that would do the same job as the lime?
I'm also concerned that using celotex negates the point of having a lime floor screed!!??

Would love to hear your thoughts
Thanks

If he wants to keep with the dwelling tell him he can't have underfloor heating, only an open fire! We laid a lime screed a couple of years ago on king span to the clients specification it was a nightmare, looked good just never really went hard enough, I'd never attempt one again!

If he wants to keep with the dwelling tell him he can't have underfloor heating, only an open fire! We laid a lime screed a couple of years ago on king span to the clients specification it was a nightmare, looked good just never really went hard enough, I'd never attempt one again!
Thanks.
Was wondering if there was any products from weber etc that would suit his wants but be more forgiving labour & timewise?
@Danny possibly tag a couple of reps to give us their thoughts?

Hi fellas, a friend of mine is having an extension built and some underfloor heating in his kitchen.
The present dwelling is a couple of hundred years old and once his current floor is dug out he is putting the little ball stuff (I've forgot the name of it) that lets moisture run under the building, then celotex, then the underfloor pipes, and then a lime floor screed.
Another friend of ours is going to do the building work.
He has notions of doing things in lime as in keeping with the dwelling.
1. The lime floor screed is going to present a problem with timescale both with the builder and client.
Is there any other products that would do the same job as the lime?
I'm also concerned that using celotex negates the point of having a lime floor screed!!??

Would love to hear your thoughts
Thanks

the little ball stuff is called lytag.
the lime screed needs to be mixed in a screedmaster .
a lime screed is only a basecoat to receive something like yorkstone slabs.
i have never seen it laid on celotex.

Thanks fellas, thought as much, just wanted to have all options available to him to lay the cards on the table [emoji106]

sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me. why not put a 1200 gauge membrane under the cellotex and then a slip membrane on top and use a flow screed. It will improve the underfloor heating performance very considerably, cost less, be quicker, stay dry and offer a much better solution.

Depending on the mix design of the screed also WHY they want lime. There are a few options available. Like an improver admixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.