I am new here .

Members online

Hermus

Hi all,
i have registered here to get advice on a rendering job.
Our 1950 bungalow has historic cracks on front elevation they have not changed but look unsightly and old damp damage now fixed but we are looking for advice on removing old render and re rendering the front just to make it look nicer.
we have had 5 plasterer’s around giving quotes.
One plasterer said best thing is not to remove the old render but just remove render around the cracks and insert mesh( not metal mesh) then use stuff to paint on to get a key and render on top.
He also said removing old render will do more harm to bricks than good!
What worried me is that he asked me if we were going to sell the property!

The other plasterer’s want to remove all old render and re render the wall.
My question is which is best solution?
The bricks under the render are white very hard bricks, will they get damaged, is removing the old render best idea?
Other platerer’s say the render will eventually fall off!

Plastering experts your advise is appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.

Hi I remove a lot of render myself on my jobs , most jobs the render will come off ok without damaging the bricks if it looked like was doing more damage than good in the process we will stop and re access, in 20 years I’ve stopped once , I’d go for total knock off myself

Hi I remove a lot of render myself on my jobs , most jobs the render will come off ok without damaging the bricks if it looked like was doing more damage than good in the process we will stop and re access, in 20 years I’ve stopped once , I’d go for total knock off myself
Do you fook never seen a picture of you dirty!

If wall ties are good if brick cavity it'll help when hacked off correctly, not bashing f### out of it !

Than you for your reply.
I don’t know if the wall ties are ok , it would be easier not remove old render just the bad bits but I am worried the new render will start to fall of in the future.
I personally prefer removing all old render a little more expensive but I feel maybe a better result.
Plasterer who suggested leaving the old render on got pretty shirty when I said a builder friend did not think it a good idea to leave the old render on he said what does a builder know about plastering.
I am just trying to find a solution that we don’t regret later.
Some score the render first in strips and then use kango to remove render.

Patch it = cheaper solution = patchy appearance
Re do the lot = higher price = perfect appearance (if done well!)
If your selling you will not necessarily recover the cost of the re-rendering so maybe your quote advised patching on that basis?
The bricks will be fine

How about
take loose off,paint it all with bonding agent
wire over the lot,scratch and top.
If walls are solid (no cavity) you risk rattling the internal plaster off if you have to "kango" the hard bits. If it been on there 70 years it's not gonna fall off now with no faults.

Hi all,
I am not selling the property been here 24 years now ,it has like many old bungalows 50 mm cavity , I could not do a loft conversion so 6 years ago took the whole roof off and built new roof 1.1 m higher , created 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.
I want the front to look smart so am going to get the render taken off and re render the front and small are on side of the property.
It is more expensive ,quite to patch and render on top £1600
Quotes were much the same for removing the render and re rendering, £2000 - £2500 highest.