Advice please on re rendering a property built late 1700s

Alfie53

I own a property which isn’t listed but on the list of properties of historical interest. The house is brick and has been rendered for many years. It has been patched and painted over the years, but is now in need of completely re rendering due to the amount of flaking/blown paint and render. I have been given conflicting advice and I would appreciate any advice as to the best way forward. I believe it is currently sand and cement render on the building. I have been advised that I should remove the old render and re render using lime render, other companies have advise that the new systems on the market are equally as breathable and should use these.
I am keen to retain the properties features and look, but at the moment I’m unclear as to how best to proceed.
Any advice would be much appreciate.

I own a property which isn’t listed but on the list of properties of historical interest. The house is brick and has been rendered for many years. It has been patched and painted over the years, but is now in need of completely re rendering due to the amount of flaking/blown paint and render. I have been given conflicting advice and I would appreciate any advice as to the best way forward. I believe it is currently sand and cement render on the building. I have been advised that I should remove the old render and re render using lime render, other companies have advise that the new systems on the market are equally as breathable and should use these.
I am keen to retain the properties features and look, but at the moment I’m unclear as to how best to proceed.
It is impossible to know the way forward without seeing the condition of the external.

Hi, u want to use a lime render as u will have no cavity, the building will breathe with lime, don’t use sand and cement and also u could use insulation render which would also help the building be warmer,

Thank you, you have confirmed my thoughts.
It might be worth talking to both Building Control and whoever is involved with the 'buildings of historical interest', as to what their expectations are, should you remove your current render.
My place was built around about 1800. Red brick, no cavity and for many, many years rendered with a strong coat of sand and cement. Absolutely no issues inside or out. I'm going to be putting an insulated render system on it, but rendered to look old.

It might be worth talking to both Building Control and whoever is involved with the 'buildings of historical interest', as to what their expectations are, should you remove your current render.
My place was built around about 1800. Red brick, no cavity and for many, many years rendered with a strong coat of sand and cement. Absolutely no issues inside or out. I'm going to be putting an insulated render system on it, but rendered to look old.
Thank you, out of interest what render system are you intending to use?

It will be insulation render, if I remember rightly if u take off more than 20-30% u have to bring it upto building regs standards etc,
Without having a look I’m pretty confident .
If I was u I would pay the extra and go for insulation render or u could insulate from the inside ( but can be a nightmare) if u living in it etc, but it would only be the external walls.
I’m not a big fan of insulation render but it is being done all over the uk etc,
Just get a decent installer who knows his job