How straight and flat can you get it?

The question was aimed at the genuine spreads on here that have come up against or experienced similar issues or have the knowledge to explain the what, why the problem has happened in first place.

The question was aimed at the genuine spreads on here that have come up against or experienced similar issues or have the knowledge to explain the what, why the problem has happened in first place.
Yea an the problem is the skim is too thick and uneven

He said it was fine till he got the skim on
Exactly. Said he could board it perfect, skim it and then... Hollows in skim onto board sounds like you should go get another job

Exactly. Said he could board it perfect, skim it and then... Hollows in skim onto board sounds like you should go get another job
Never said perfect try me best that's all you can do. Looking back through posts clearly I've either not killed the suction enough, put on bit to thick, or combo of both, I hold me hands up I've bullsed it up! Just thought I'd come on here to ask some advice, ain't got a problem with constructive criticism all for it, but your sh*t, get a new job ...give it up it's boring

Never said perfect try me best that's all you can do. Looking back through posts clearly I've either not killed the suction enough, put on bit to thick, or combo of both, I hold me hands up I've bullsed it up! Just thought I'd come on here to ask some advice, ain't got a problem with constructive criticism all for it, but your sh*t, get a new job ...give it up it's boring
Just don't understand how you can put a straight edge on plasterboard or hardwall and it's great, then skim it and it's got hollows. I really don't

Just don't understand how you can put a straight edge on plasterboard or hardwall and it's great, then skim it and it's got hollows. I really don't
Neither do I?! Hence why I've ask the question, where and what am I doing/going wrong? As said fine when floated or boarded, the hardwall think that's down to suction haven't killed it enough and dried in to quick before flattening, over board more than likely putting on to thick...

Ask a question your a fool for 5mins to not ask at all your a fool forever.

Neither do I?! Hence why I've ask the question, where and what am I doing/going wrong? As said fine when floated or boarded, the hardwall think that's down to suction haven't killed it enough and dried in to quick before flattening, over board more than likely putting on to thick...

How long have you been plastering mate? And who taught you?

12 years this year mate, just struggle with confidence and ocd at times so always picking at stuff, nice to come on hear and sound out issues with other spreads (y)
Dave bell was fellas name that spent me formative years with doing major fire an flood damage works. Mustard spread in my eyes if could be half as good would be happy!

12 years this year mate, just struggle with confidence and ocd at times so always picking at stuff, nice to come on hear and sound out issues with other spreads (y)
To be honest I'm surprised that you're having issues skimming boards with your level of experience. Most would have figured out their own method of achieving a good finish by then. I'm honestly a bit baffled by the "humps and hollows" your getting on boardwork, I could maybe understand it if you weren't used to high suction and skimming dry Hardwall. I'm lost to be able to offer any advice.

Skim is too thick and so are you

To be honest I'm surprised that you're having issues skimming boards with your level of experience. Most would have figured out their own method of achieving a good finish by then. I'm honestly a bit baffled by the "humps and hollows" your getting on boardwork, I could maybe understand it if you weren't used to high suction and skimming dry Hardwall. I'm lost to be able to offer any advice.
I know I'm beginning to look like a lemon here :X3: ... as prior mentioned thinking the bottom line with all this is suction, the hardwall another pva wetting down an one pva wasnt enough, float an set same day fine. Regards to board work dab a room skim the room check it's fine, but trouble starts when theres big areas of it, I'll get greedy right I'll knock up a load get that on as well and that etc, because generally the suction rate is the same across the board with plasterboard (excuse the punn), so as I'm trying to be a meter eater things are setting and getting harder to flatten which in turn is creating the said bumps.

To summarise, suction has been my undoing, dont bite off more than I can chew with board work, either float an set same day or give it another lick of pva!

Apologies to go on, but thanks for all of your responses (y)

I know I'm beginning to look like a lemon here :X3: ... as prior mentioned thinking the bottom line with all this is suction, the hardwall another pva wetting down an one pva wasnt enough, float an set same day fine. Regards to board work dab a room skim the room check it's fine, but trouble starts when theres big areas of it, I'll get greedy right I'll knock up a load get that on as well and that etc, because generally the suction rate is the same across the board with plasterboard (excuse the punn), so as I'm trying to be a meter eater things are setting and getting harder to flatten which in turn is creating the said bumps.

To summarise, suction has been my undoing, dont bite off more than I can chew with board work, either float an set same day or give it another lick of pva!

Only mix up what you can handle in a hit quality over quantity mate

Just finished a 1000m2 float and set job
We were Floating 25m2 with hardwall by 10am
Go for ya tea break / breakfast back at 11:30 to skim it, multi goes for miles over it when you go over it same day . Done by 2:30 easy as you like
BFCCD37B-59C2-4925-97A4-CF911A49E8ED.png

Morning all!

Been doing some floating this week hardwall couple rooms and bit of sand cement in bathroom, was wondering how flat can you get it? Understand that ya never goner get it completely utterly flat, but after ruling checking ruling again walking away coming back checking etc all seems fine then get a skim over it next day check will rule out of curiosity and little hollows and bumps here an there? Nothing huge 2, 3 mm over 6ft, straight here and there. Even with dabbing get it straight skim an then... Can only think this must be multi knocking it out of shape as your not ruling only using a trowel ?

Any thoughts? Or am I just making excuses for being ruff?!:rayos::X3:
You on about skimming in general or onto hardwall? Do you go back and give it a final rule once picked up?

You on about skimming in general or onto hardwall? Do you go back and give it a final rule once picked up?
Just on to hardwall mate, to be honest back at job today hacked off and re did the couple walls went happy with, floated an set no probs, its cost us a days money but the peace of mind is worth it (y) the mrs wont be happy tho but ya cant win them all!:X3:

Just on to hardwall mate, to be honest back at job today hacked off and re did the couple walls went happy with, floated an set no probs, its cost us a days money but the peace of mind is worth it (y) the mrs wont be happy tho but ya cant win them all!:X3:
99 percent sure prob was suction didn't pva it enough and got caught out, as the say goes piss poor preparation leads to piss poor performance! From no one will try to float and set same day if poss otherwise pva the life out of it!

Yes mate let it go for bit final rule then devil float
Sharpe final rule take high spots off. Make sure you don’t devil to early or ya will make high spots dragging it about. I 2 coat hardwall to kill suction. I also free rule because I’m a nut bag.

Sharpe final rule take high spots off. Make sure you don’t devil to early or ya will make high spots dragging it about. I 2 coat hardwall to kill suction. I also free rule because I’m a nut bag.
Crazy free ruling fool!:p(y)... I cant do it for toffee!:X3:

Always conscious of not having pva to thick when over days after hardwall as dont want the glue skinning up, so always wet down then pissier than normal pva, but after this debacle will follow up with normal thickness pva!

I did screeds when I started but when I was in the old gang we had to free rule using the machines. It’s what I’m use to now.
Fair play(y)... I find without screeds to work from get in bit of state, small areas ok but anything over 1.5m2 break out the screeds

Always conscious of not having pva to thick when over days after hardwall as dont want the glue skinning up, so always wet down then pissier than normal pva, but after this debacle will follow up with normal thickness pva!
Hose it down where possible will help out. If you float all day. Or just set the same day.

For board work make sure you are putting on neat and flat and get a 1.2 speed skim , flatten wall straight away one you have got all your set on.