How straight and flat can you get it?

Members online

Hose it down where possible will help out. If you float all day. Or just set the same day.
Where can will just will just stick to floating an set in the same day going forward, but over that will hose where possible and just give it another couple of coats of pva

1583220444785.png
You bet.

Now @theclemo swore blind to me that hardwall actually shrinks back maybe this is what you are experiencing, I never been that anal to check myself but admit clemo does/did a lot more ruling than me in his lifetime,
Maybe he has a point , sand and cement or other is totally different to gypsum
Be interesting to see what the older guys like @essexandy think too
Yep did 1000s of m2 with hardwall get the walls perfect leave them a few hours b4 u float it but b4 we float we would check the walls again with the edge and where was perfect an hour ago or so isn't anyone it moves a bit. 2 passes stops it a bit but not fully. Give me sand and cement anyday over hardwall. Love skimming over hardwall same day tho.

Morning all!

Been doing some floating this week hardwall couple rooms and bit of sand cement in bathroom, was wondering how flat can you get it? Understand that ya never goner get it completely utterly flat, but after ruling checking ruling again walking away coming back checking etc all seems fine then get a skim over it next day check will rule out of curiosity and little hollows and bumps here an there? Nothing huge 2, 3 mm over 6ft, straight here and there. Even with dabbing get it straight skim an then... Can only think this must be multi knocking it out of shape as your not ruling only using a trowel ?

Any thoughts? Or am I just making excuses for being ruff?!:rayos::X3:

how tight are you putting it on

first thing I've ever done before floating is put level on block work ....especially before beading so you instantly know how good or bad your working on....

I gave up that shiit years ago
few mm of skim wont fix shiit joinery
but If you know what your doing you can hide it (y) (y)

Morning all!

Been doing some floating this week hardwall couple rooms and bit of sand cement in bathroom, was wondering how flat can you get it? Understand that ya never goner get it completely utterly flat, but after ruling checking ruling again walking away coming back checking etc all seems fine then get a skim over it next day check will rule out of curiosity and little hollows and bumps here an there? Nothing huge 2, 3 mm over 6ft, straight here and there. Even with dabbing get it straight skim an then... Can only think this must be multi knocking it out of shape as your not ruling only using a trowel ?

Any thoughts? Or am I just making excuses for being ruff?!:rayos::X3:
Always skim what you have hard walled same day and it should be flat , why wouldn’t it

Always skim what you have hard walled same day and it should be flat , why wouldn’t it
Much better been floating and setting same day past couple days the downstairs on a job, fine no probs flat no bumps hollows etc as everything under control suction wise as it's still fresh underneath, and starting to think its quicker? Obviously where poss, but caining the hardwall all day then having to wet down, pva an skim few days later fighting the suction chasing the few walls you have on is a bull ache.... where I f**ked up and got caught out didn't wet down an pva enough skim hardened up to quick an couldn't get the bumps out

Yep did 1000s of m2 with hardwall get the walls perfect leave them a few hours b4 u float it but b4 we float we would check the walls again with the edge and where was perfect an hour ago or so isn't anyone it moves a bit. 2 passes stops it a bit but not fully. Give me sand and cement anyday over hardwall. Love skimming over hardwall same day tho.
Sand an cement all day long! Bit of lime in easier to work, ruling, devil floating etc, load her up with waterproofer so can get big hits on, plus dont smell like burnt hair an eggs when left to dry!

Sand an cement all day long! Bit of lime in easier to work, ruling, devil floating etc, load her up with waterproofer so can get big hits on, plus dont smell like burnt hair an eggs when left to dry!
The fact you want to load up sand and cement with waterproofer is confirmation that you don't like suction. Any decent old school plasterer will tell you that suction is your friend and the key to quick high quality skimming.

The fact you want to load up sand and cement with waterproofer is confirmation that you don't like suction. Any decent old school plasterer will tell you that suction is your friend and the key to quick high quality skimming.

Agree of course suction rate is key to producing a good finish in all aspects from skimming to rendering etc. Used to get caught out a lot when was younger either to much or not enough ( and recently with my hardwall f**k up) generally give things old walls, paper stripped walls another coat or in sand cement case another couple of gluggs of waterproofer as would rather wait then chase. Work quite a bit on me own so mindful of setting to quick while cleaning out knocking up etc. Having said this dry hardwall has always been grey area as conscious of pva skinning over so wet down first then pissy pva, but as said that kick me up the arse recently when went off on us an buggered few walls, which then hacked off an re did float an set as it was eating away at us:frenetico:

Agree of course suction rate is key to producing a good finish in all aspects from skimming to rendering etc. Used to get caught out a lot when was younger either to much or not enough ( and recently with my hardwall f**k up) generally give things old walls, paper stripped walls another coat or in sand cement case another couple of gluggs of waterproofer as would rather wait then chase. Work quite a bit on me own so mindful of setting to quick while cleaning out knocking up etc. Having said this dry hardwall has always been grey area as conscious of pva skinning over so wet down first then pissy pva, but as said that kick me up the arse recently when went off on us an buggered few walls, which then hacked off an re did float an set as it was eating away at us:frenetico:

I'm far from perfect, still make mistakes and will always be learning. Just like to come on hear to ask advice, constructive criticism and generally chew the fat in the world of plastering (y)