How long before we're in trouble with money?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23452
  • Start date

Members online

Without work, how long before things become critical with finances?

• Too late, I'm in the sh1t now.

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Middle of April.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • End of April.

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • End of May.

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • 3 - 6 months from now.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • 6 - 12 months from now.

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • I'm OK for a year or more.

Votes: 17 25.8%

• Total voters
Unbelievable

am shocked by the amount that think it’s ok to go out can’t lie, about a week a go seen folks saying well I have to go because I can’t feed my kids etc and have 50pence to there name but seems the ones going aren’t in that position at all
Yet it ok for the majority of us to have to sit at home loosing money all the time to try help this situation
Pete you don't have to sit at home losing money. Have the government told you to do so? No they haven't. Now personally I wouldn't go and work in Mrs Smith's lounge, but empty houses, no problem at all.
One of our previous clients who is high up at Broomfield hospital phoned the other day asking if we'd pop over and skim a new stud wall he's built. He knows the score, obviously, mentioned the distancing guidelines and said it wouldn't be a problem to adhere to them. If someone like that isn't worried why are you Pete?

To answer @imago original question I’m preparing for at least three months off and am hoping then I maybe allowed to work even if it’s just a few days a week to start , I cancelled my mortgage straight away and when that plus the government agreed to pay self employed I thought well that’s me off to do my but it’s like life in on hold for three months my financial situation is ok in terms of bills my mrs is working three day a week so that covers the other bills
After that I will use a credit card if things get any worse but all I’m focusing on is being able to buy food for the next 3 -6 months

Pete you don't have to sit at home losing money. Have the government told you to do so? No they haven't. Now personally I wouldn't go and work in Mrs Smith's lounge, but empty houses, no problem at all.
One of our previous clients who is high up at Broomfield hospital phoned the other day asking if we'd pop over and skim a new stud wall he's built. He knows the score, obviously, mentioned the distancing guidelines and said it wouldn't be a problem to adhere to them. If someone like that isn't worried why are you Pete?
Fair enough mate I just can’t go I went last week and didn’t feel right driving around for me , all my work is the s**t jobs no one wants in people’s homes I never get the good jobs like a whole house where they are empty

Its the governmants fault,not being clear,in scotland krankie said dont go to work unless its essential. She listed what she deemed essential work, building work is not one of them unless health safety etc.
Boris said different and its legal for andy to go if he works safely.
Division will remain ,
I have emptys i could go to,but i deem it non essential,personal choice.

Fair enough mate I just can’t go I went last week and didn’t feel right driving around for me , all my work is the s**t jobs no one wants in people’s homes I never get the good jobs like a whole house where they are empty
In that case I'd sit at home like you are Pete. As I've mentioned elsewhere we've just got two more days to finish this current job and then we're stopping, but I don't think that everyone else should if they have suitable jobs to work on. And again, nor do the government.

Some guy yesterday said now's the time to up prices, as have a couple of others
I'm pretty sure that were talking about when this shitstorm clears, unless you saw some posts I missed.
Let's be honest, to be self-employed lots of people really do need to up their rates or get out. All this "work out your day rate plus materials and there's your price" is utter b*ll***s if you're running a business properly.

To answer @imago original question I’m preparing for at least three months off and am hoping then I maybe allowed to work even if it’s just a few days a week to start , I cancelled my mortgage straight away and when that plus the government agreed to pay self employed I thought well that’s me off to do my but it’s like life in on hold for three months my financial situation is ok in terms of bills my mrs is working three day a week so that covers the other bills
After that I will use a credit card if things get any worse but all I’m focusing on is being able to buy food for the next 3 -6 months
You will be ok vincey,when the start back happens u will still get calls.

In that case I'd sit at home like you are Pete. As I've mentioned elsewhere we've just got two more days to finish this current job and then we're stopping, but I don't think that everyone else should if they have suitable jobs to work on. And again, nor do the government.

There are so many elements to this, but you're quite right it does depend on circumstances.

The job we're on is an empty building part of a vets which is remaining open as an 'essential service'. That combined with it being an empty building should mean that technically we can roll on with it. I shut the job down after the announcement last week, and our last day was Tuesday spent tidying up and securing the site.

The reasons for this were:-
The next phase was brickwork on scaffold so no chance of a 2m separation between people, and lots of contact with scaffold, shovels mixer etc which are all metal surfaces capable of holding the virus for a week.

Insurance cover would be null and void because of the above, both for me and also for the site owner.

The vets is on a vastly reduced staff and customer level, so money will be tight there in a few weeks.

Perception of those around seeing us carrying on as normal, word gets about and the effects last years instead of months. No one wants to be 'that guy' who gets trash talked for working through.

As for how much I'm earning, nothing, not so much as a single penny until we start back. As @owls mentioned I have high five figure sums just sitting on the job in materials, a three grand scaffold burning time doing nothing, all my usual overheads going out and no idea if the brickies/roofer etc will still be in business to pick up where we left off. The next stage payment is due when the walls are up so there's another £10k labour to spend before I can be paid.

If I had to summarise I'd say I'll probably be OK for a few months, but it's going to hurt. Beyond that, who knows?

Pete that mortgage holiday isn’t cheap. If my maths is correct I pay an extra £1440 over the length of my mortgage. For the benefit of a break over something that isn’t our fault.
I might just grit my teeth and pay it and hope we’re back in work soon.

Pete that mortgage holiday isn’t cheap. If my maths is correct I pay an extra £1440 over the length of my mortgage. For the benefit of a break over something that isn’t our fault.
If you can dont take the holiday . Unless they say no extra be added on. And I.m sure your only allowed tondo itnonce over life of mortgage

If you can dont take the holiday . Unless they say no extra be added on. And I.m sure your only allowed tondo itnonce over life of mortgage
I thought the mortgage holiday added 3 months on to your term,until martin lewis said otherwise,think a few people might not realise that.

Mortgage holidays are just sneaky additional debt. The only time you should take on additional debt is if you have as near a certain exit strategy as possible. The way things are at the moment things like mortgage holidays, Gov't backed loans etc are a very risky option IMHO.

Once things have settled down a bit loans will be very cheap to get the economy going again. That would be the time to take on more debt if you need to, but still take as many 'what if's' into account as you can think of.

Mortgage holidays are just sneaky additional debt. The only time you should take on additional debt is if you have as near a certain exit strategy as possible. The way things are at the moment things like mortgage holidays, Gov't backed loans etc are a very risky option IMHO.

Once things have settled down a bit loans will be very cheap to get the economy going again. That would be the time to take on more debt if you need to, but still take as many 'what if's' into account as you can think of.
There’s no such thing as free money, theres clauses in it all, government loans are just that a loan so just saddling said company up with debt, although the gesture is there, even the grants for self employed we will all pay for it through tax increases.
Our sites are shut down, some working for developers was taken out of my hands, my own 2 projects I’ve got on the go I decided to close down myself purely from a health and safety issue, and since then my suppliers have closed down in any case, so they would have come to a close anyhow.
As working on someone’s house it’s a grey area, I wouldn’t have anyone in my house that’s for sure. Working on your own in an empty house pretty much zero risk, working on an empty house with 1 or 2 others, I don’t get it, you can catch it off 1 other same as 10 bringing it home for my family to be poorly with it, I couldn’t forgive myself.

A pal of my Mrs has been struck down with it I found out yesterday, no idea how she caught it,she’s 36 with no underlying health issues, and in hospital it’s touch and go with her. she has 2 young kids and a partner. As soon as you get to see people you know coming down with it and hospitalised through it, it rings home.

Working on your own in an empty house pretty much zero risk, working on an empty house with 1 or 2 others, I don’t get it, you can catch it off 1 other same as 10 bringing it home for my family to be poorly with it, I couldn’t forgive myself.

A lot of people seem to be missing that point. It's not how many people are there with you, it's the exposure risk.

You work with one other. Both of you have to touch surfaces with your clothes and hands. Those surfaces have been exposed to others who have been exposed to others etc etc. Exponential risk.

Put another way, the last person to touch a box/bucket/hose/door handle etc etc had previously been to a supermarket and touched things previously touched by hundreds of others who had also touched things touched by hundreds of others.

Some are happy or need to take that risk, others aren't but are put at further risk by those that are. Personally I'm not in the least bit worried as my health and immune system will take it. I'm not happy with the idea of exposing those around me, or those around them.

Everyone's at risk, but this virus means that everyone's posing a risk.

There’s no such thing as free money, theres clauses in it all, government loans are just that a loan so just saddling said company up with debt, although the gesture is there, even the grants for self employed we will all pay for it through tax increases.
Our sites are shut down, some working for developers was taken out of my hands, my own 2 projects I’ve got on the go I decided to close down myself purely from a health and safety issue, and since then my suppliers have closed down in any case, so they would have come to a close anyhow.
As working on someone’s house it’s a grey area, I wouldn’t have anyone in my house that’s for sure. Working on your own in an empty house pretty much zero risk, working on an empty house with 1 or 2 others, I don’t get it, you can catch it off 1 other same as 10 bringing it home for my family to be poorly with it, I couldn’t forgive myself.
A lot of people seem to be missing that point. It's not how many people are there with you, it's the exposure risk.

You work with one other. Both of you have to touch surfaces with your clothes and hands. Those surfaces have been exposed to others who have been exposed to others etc etc. Exponential risk.

Put another way, the last person to touch a box/bucket/hose/door handle etc etc had previously been to a supermarket and touched things previously touched by hundreds of others who had also touched things touched by hundreds of others.

Some are happy or need to take that risk, others aren't but are put at further risk by those that are. Personally I'm not in the least bit worried as my health and immune system will take it. I'm not happy with the idea of exposing those around me, or those around them.

Everyone's at risk, but this virus means that everyone's posing a risk.

Most sense spoken on any of these threads. Sums it up perfectly. Mates 6 month old daughter caught it and he assumes he brought it home from working in an office even though they followed the procedure best they could. Had a fever for a week, couldn't even get any medicine as everyone had panic bought all the calpop

Tbf mate a few of my other mates have said it needs to be checked out etc but I decided straight away I didn’t give a poop as it’s my biggest out lay and had to go as it was offered to go I took it ,for three months I thought it’s best no matter what the consequences are so I keep any money for food because as time goes by that will become number one if this drags on
Each to there own mate

Tbf mate a few of my other mates have said it needs to be checked out etc but I decided straight away I didn’t give a poop as it’s my biggest out lay and had to go as it was offered to go I took it ,for three months I thought it’s best no matter what the consequences are so I keep any money for food because as time goes by that will become number one if this drags on
Each to there own mate
Vince did you re check your local asda store again,they are still looking for drivers up my way.
Screenshot_20200331-113701.jpg

Last edited: