Hard decision to make

I did 6 years with my father and then did my own thing.You have to stand on your own two feet sometime.It takes a bit of guts when you know your good enough just to step out of that safety zone into the unknown.I’d jump in with a gang if I were you to get the speed up and take it from there.

I had the same problem with my father, after 7 years I gave up and told him it wasn't working, now on my own our relationship is better than it ever was me working with him and I'm happier and earning more too so it's a win win for everyone
I think that would be the same for me and my old man but I just can’t be sure

I did 6 years with my father and then did my own thing.You have to stand on your own two feet sometime.It takes a bit of guts when you know your good enough just to step out of that safety zone into the unknown.I’d jump in with a gang if I were you to get the speed up and take it from there.
Cheers mate (y) hearing some of you lads were in the same position and leaving worked out for you is making me more confident

Reverse psychology,tell your dad he's a s**t skimmer and that's why he's gone to airless application because he can't hack applying by hand and getting a nice finish if this doesn't work then your signing on
Like that idea apart from signing on, went f**k**g nuts sitting inside at start of lockdown

I’m 18 coming to the end of my nvq 2 working with my old man ended my first year in college skimming tidy for someone new to the game and learning floating and rendering fairly quickly aswell, after that first year the old man got into airless and never gave me anymore experience on skim, now if I do any on a small foreigner im second guessing everything because I’m missing the experience I needed to continue, all our jobs are domestic so too small for airless to be effective for speed really, question is do I stick with him as he’s my dad or go elsewhere to get my experience up and sort myself out. Cheers for any help lads
Tell him to f**k off!

That’s how I was doing it when we were skimming, what I’m saying is I’m getting no experience of that now because he will only do airless, I wasn’t on skim with him long enough either for me just to be able to pick it up and drop it like you lads would after doing it for years

Why not ask your dad if you can take your own labourer and do some of the smaller jobs, you’ll be getting experience and a labourer up to speed ready to go alone

Apart from the bit about having a labourer.
Just do the smaller jobs on your own and at the pace where you can do them well.
Just do the smaller jobs on your own and at the pace where you can do them well.
Get my experience up and then look elsewhere then?

Get my experience up and then look elsewhere then?
Don't jump ship for the sake of skimming boards , dry line the garage , skim , PVA , skim , grit , skim etc

No not at all. Just to get some extra experience.
Personally I'd be more than happy to crack on with the airless if the work is there.
I can see your point but with the private jobs we’re on it’s more bother than anything, I get it’s easier on your body but we’re easily a day or two over on a job compared to someone skimming, I don’t see the point from the perspective.

I can see your point but with the private jobs we’re on it’s more bother than anything, I get it’s easier on your body but we’re easily a day or two over on a job compared to someone skimming, I don’t see the point from the perspective.
Are people paying enough to cover those extra days though?
If the answer is yes why worry?

Working with family member is a f**k**g hard work, I worked with my brother for few months years ago and we used to argue a lot. Don't miss it. Since he's got his own business and I got my own we are much happier and it's a lot easier to talk.

Working with family member is a f**k**g hard work, I worked with my brother for few months years ago and we used to argue a lot. Don't miss it. Since he's got his own business and I got my own we are much happier and it's a lot easier to talk.
I don’t think being family helps it

Reskims mostly mate, with the level of prep you need for the job to be smart with it it hardly seems worth it on walls that are that uneven

You wanna speak to Oasis he got into airless and is cleaning up just bought himself a brand new ford custom sport with all the extras and has about 10 different machines...used to be on this forum, stick with the airless.