Gold Trowel 6 week City & Guilds Qualification including a Krend (Rendering) Certific

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well defended Les, and I've no doubt that yours is one of the better courses judging from the feedback you get on here. But the facts still remain that it isn't possible to learn the trade in 6 weeks. Put it another way - I have employed a few spreads over the years, some good some not so good, but if someone told me they had done a course I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. I'm thinking of my own business here and I wouldn't be able to do my own work for worrying about what the courser was doing - in my name - in someone's house. I would feel responsible, to the point of being negligent, if they f*cked up someones' house and that's why I wouldn't have one work for me..........keep your courses for folks who want to play in their own houses:RpS_thumbup:

We are in an industry where plasterers are two a penny most of them s**t and you think putting lads on a six week course and getting them out there is good?

Who you on about when you say "you think"? if someone wants to get into plastering they will and they will suddenly realise it is hard work and i mean hard work and gets harder and harder on the body, its not an easy ride and the ones that think "i know i will be a spread coz the moneys great and once im qualified im entitled to this amount of money" are usually the ones who are shite and usually fall at the first hurdle. Most if not all the people i met on the course were either doing it to do a bit round the house and like all the people on this forum it becomes an obsession and it will be the path you will follow coz there is a lot of satisfaction out of plastering which a lot of jobs do not give you.

Well defended Les, and I've no doubt that yours is one of the better courses judging from the feedback you get on here. But the facts still remain that it isn't possible to learn the trade in 6 weeks. Put it another way - I have employed a few spreads over the years, some good some not so good, but if someone told me they had done a course I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. I'm thinking of my own business here and I wouldn't be able to do my own work for worrying about what the courser was doing - in my name - in someone's house. I would feel responsible, to the point of being negligent, if they f*cked up someones' house and that's why I wouldn't have one work for me..........keep your courses for folks who want to play in their own houses:RpS_thumbup:

So the spreads who were not so good what did they tell you?

They didn't tell me anything, but they didn't work for me for long & most of them that I can think of don't work in the plastering game anymore flinny:RpS_thumbup:

i respect your view bubbles, i would only employ people on there skill regardless of course or old school, like u say , you business comes first,

nobody is a perfect plasterer mate,

They didn't tell me anything, but they didn't work for me for long & most of them that I can think of don't work in the plastering game anymore flinny:RpS_thumbup:

Well there you go LOL it dont make any odds some are good some are shite i would give someone a start who had been on a course rather than someone who hadnt but i wouldnt send anyone on a job without being there to keep an eye on them on the first day. I would know within an hour wether they were worth their salt, some are worth £50 a day some are worth £150 a day so it all depends what you paying your patcher :)

It all comes down to a passion, if you want to , you will.I know many spreads, and some on hear who hate plastering.If yu hate it so much are you really doing the best you can.
I can still rember the satisfaction i got from a finnished job, which i still get now.

I get the impression that courses are just money making exercises. Whether they produce decent people who go on to plaster professionally doesn't really interest me at all. Anyone can pay to do a course, it's more about aptitude, motivation and practice. People on here who do this for a living successfully, have made a jump, a commitment if you will. You can't replicate that in a course, but someone's getting richer innit ;)

i finished a six month course last september.since then ive s**t myself on plenty of jobs and only now i feel confident at skimming.when im not working for myself i help my uncle,whos bin in the came 20 years+.but he pays s**t! its good experience tho.as i said ive only just got to a good standard of skimming and picked up my speed.so its good learnin of him on rendering jobs and floatin out walls..you only learn when ur on the job,thers no presure when ur in your little 6ft square rooms on the course.i understand it takes years to be a well rounded plasterer,i dont want to just be a skimmer.so ill just keep takin s**t money for abit longer!!

i appreciate lads have got to start somewhere, and apprenteships are few and far between nowadays.[thats a different topic]
ive seen that much dross from courses turn up on sites and theyve been sent home by dinnner time and ive started lads who have been terrible from courses as im of the school of thought everyone deserves a crack, so theyve been given a chance.

My opinion is only based on my experiences and i appreciate that your training course may be the best out there, and to be fair i dont touch plastering anymore so churning out more plasterers doesnt directly effect me anymore, but ive made a good amount of money out of plastering over the last ten years or so up until late 2008, but the money has gone out of the game now, the last thing i would do is encourage lads into a weak industry.
theres to many skimmers out there at present hence the piss poor prices about and lads scrabbling around for work.
spunky may have some crazy views , but for me hes spot on with this.

WTF is deluted???

Do you mean Diluted? or Deluded?

deluded. my apoligies for the spelling mistake. and as ur now going to ask me why, going back to a previous comment u made, you think that an apprentiship is 4-5 yrs of making tea and wiping arses, and you wont fully be a plasterer, yet after a 6 week course with no previous experience you feel confident in plastering a house. you are a proper wally

I honestly challenge anybody to go to GT and take a look....

Lots of shite courses about but GT are different Honestly drop down say hi

Skimming is easy, floating/rendering is where its skilled but not many "plasterers" can float but then on domestic jobs its rarely needed....

If someone is willing to spend their hard earned cash on a course then they are already showing willing...... its a big commitment...

On a side not please be a little bit more respectful to the new members they might not get your sense of humour

Danny

I get the impression that courses are just money making exercises. Whether they produce decent people who go on to plaster professionally doesn't really interest me at all. Anyone can pay to do a course, it's more about aptitude, motivation and practice. People on here who do this for a living successfully, have made a jump, a commitment if you will. You can't replicate that in a course, but someone's getting richer innit ;)

Huh? Someone who pays 2 and a half grand and taking 6 weeks out of there life to persue a different career have not made a commitment??? Everyone I have met on the C&G course are highly motivated and have taken well to the job. Some are just young lads but many are 30 plus with commitments like wives and kids, and those commitments will be relying on what they learn on the course so believe me, everyone wants to be the best they can.

I've no doubt that there is money to be made out of courses, but GT make sure you get your value for money. Even though I have spent a fortune there I never come away feeling ripped off. Me and 5 other lads used a whole large stacked pallet of Krend today. How many trainees on site get let lose with that much material and have a spread on hand guiding you through the whole process?

By all means slag off other training centres, but don't tar goldtrowel with the same brush. It sets the standard for courses. Its in no way easy. The fact that Flyny who has been a spread for 20 or more years is reccomending it should speak volumes.

this is about at silly as me saying i did an IT course the other week, im now an it consultant. and then a guy with 10yrs experince in IT goes, well, no mate your not actually there is a bit more to it than that, and then i completly disregard what he says and the fact it took him yrs to get to where he is now coz i no better, and say, well i have enthusiasm and im "quietly confident" that i can do what you can

Last edited:
...would this be the IT consultant that learnt off his mate?

I don't mean that as a dig, I'm just making a point. Every other trade or job has training centres, uni, colleges dedicated to it and it works well if you go to the right one. Why not plastering?

this fictional IT consultant would have learnt by starting at the bottom and working his way over the period of several years, very much like an apprentiship :)

yeah they do, and you will probably find most people have a similar opinion about them too. from my point of view, i have never met anyone from college or a course, that without them then going onto work with someone who actually teaches them properly, has been any good. i am fully open to changing my mind if proved otherwise tho. i no danny did some college but i have no idea on anything else with his background or infact how good he is. but now he does IT so he might tell me off for my previous post in a minute :) so like i say, i am open to be shown otherwise, i just think its not overly appreciated when people do a course and try and tell people with experience how it is

...would this be the IT consultant that learnt off his mate?

I don't mean that as a dig, I'm just making a point. Every other trade or job has training centres, uni, colleges dedicated to it and it works well if you go to the right one. Why not plastering?

1 week course or a 4 year (in Ireland ) apprenticeship. Work it out ???:RpS_crying:

but anyway, bollox to you lot, im going to oktoberfest in 3 hours so i need to go to sleep. ill be thinking of you. xx

this is about at silly as me saying i did an IT course the other week, im now an it consultant. and then a guy with 10yrs experince in IT goes, well, no mate your not actually there is a bit more to it than that, and then i completly disregard what he says and the fact it took him yrs to get to where he is now coz i no better, and say, well i have enthusiasm and im "quietly confident" that i can do what you can

Yeh then youve got the guy with 20 years saying to the guy with 10 years no mate your not actually there is a bit more to it than that and on it goes the point is a course is a good place to start. Some people pick things up very quickly and some will never pick it up no matter what they do but most of the time its coz they are not interested or they have been forced to do it. This convo will go round and round. There are guys on here lets say over 2000 out of the 4500 who are spreads probably more but for arguements sake 2000, how many do you think have done an apprenticeship, a course or just got taught off their mates, fathers or an employer?
Yep we will never know but they are all still learning appart from me lol There is not one member on here who hasnt asked a question, read an answer to a question which they needed or in most cases still waitin on an answer lol Its a forum for plasterers to ask questions but some people dont get it. Its not a old members only club where new members arent allowed to ask questions coz it defeats the point of the forum. Its coming up to that time of the year when work gets tight and the weather starts to pick up so looking to blame new plasterers coming into the game is usually the norm but i bet there are more going out the game than are coming in so everyones a winner and if your thinking the coursers are putting in cheaper prices your all wrong i told all them lads at goldtrowel they shouldnt be workin for less than £250 a day lol

1 week course or a 4 year (in Ireland ) apprenticeship. Work it out ???:RpS_crying:

Hey irish i remember you had to do an apprenticeship to be a barman in dublin but now anyone can get a start (not since the recession) i got served of a chinese fella last time i was there and a very good barman at that :)

this fictional IT consultant would have learnt by starting at the bottom and working his way over the period of several years, very much like an apprentiship :)

yeah they do, and you will probably find most people have a similar opinion about them too. from my point of view, i have never met anyone from college or a course, that without them then going onto work with someone who actually teaches them properly, has been any good. i am fully open to changing my mind if proved otherwise tho. i no danny did some college but i have no idea on anything else with his background or infact how good he is. but now he does IT so he might tell me off for my previous post in a minute :) so like i say, i am open to be shown otherwise, i just think its not overly appreciated when people do a course and try and tell people with experience how it is

I like this post because it shows you are open minded about it. :) No one is trying to tell you how it is, we are just giving our opinion on a course, which was what the origional poster was asking about. The invite has been thrown out numerous times to yourself, beddy, and spunkface. Get yourself down there and meet Andy, Les, Doug and Neal. If Carlsberg made plastering instructors........

They would welcome you like they do with everyone else- because they are nice blokes.

When people think of these training centres they think of clinical bays, this is not the case with Goldtrowel. The place is a sh!thole, just like a building site. The walls are all over the place, and its our job to put them right.

@Irish spread the 1 week course is a DIY jobber. The City and guilds + NVQ is six weeks with home study on top. And on site/job assessments after to show competence for the NVQ and ultimatly CSCS card.

Hey irish i remember you had to do an apprenticeship to be a barman in dublin but now anyone can get a start (not since the recession) i got served of a chinese fella last time i was there and a very good barman at that :)

too true. full of chinkys. bet he was fully qualified goldish card barman :RpS_thumbup:

@Irish spread the 1 week course is a DIY jobber. The City and guilds + NVQ is six weeks with home study on top. And on site/job assessments after to show competence for the NVQ and ultimatly CSCS card.[/QUOTE]

Ok. I admit I'm wrong mate. Ultimately. Sorry

No worries mate. Glad to see your shift key is working now. But your 'full stop' key seems to be on the blink. :flapper:

Taking the day off today im going on a pilots course then ill practice by flying my family around the world

Status
Not open for further replies.