Gold Trowel 6 week City & Guilds Qualification including a Krend (Rendering) Certific

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy2513

Hi all,

im new to this forum and am looking at a change in job i was looking at doing at 6 week City & Guilds Qualification including a Krend (Rendering) Certification gold trowel has any one done this course or know what this company is like?

Go and find a mirror look at yourself square in the eyes and ask yourself will a 6 week course teach me what it takes plasterers 5 years to learn

just what the world needs another 'plasterer' .

it aint a good time to be going into this line of work , see other threads on the forum.

Don't take it the wrong way mate but you will be a country mile away from being a plasterer these courses are aimed at people who are interested in diy

dont get me wrong i know i wont know everything in six weeks and i aint frightend of a bit of hard work being someones bitch while learning off them but what i wanna know will it get me started off in the job?

I'm getting bored of plastering I fancy being an electrician might pop myself on one of those course thingys

use the course as an intro to plastering and see what happens, you might not even like plastering in the end, go, for it see what happens, good luck

If you paid me 600 quid I could teach you what those f**k**s teach you in 2 days one day inside one day outside plastering is all about doing it there's a bit of theory but 99% of it is actualy doing it for a start don't even think about rendering any poor f**k**s house the materials are very expensive and you will **** it up and then you will have to pay for the materials yourself you might get away with skimming the odd bathroom ceiling if the customers blind and stupid enough to pay you for what a plasterer would probably do the whole room for because he's experienced and quicker so no it's a stupid idea go stick you're head in the oven

Look mate it all depends on your albilty you may turn out s**t hot and then again you may just end up another chancer on the bandwagon, Pays your money and takes yer chance. I dont think I would want some one who has only been plastering 6 wks in my house would you.

that is my point you all asuming i am gunna go lone ranger and start attacking some old granys house when i plan the course to start me off and then find some crazy tradesman to take me under his wing if posible and learn on the job.

Sounds like a good start you could wait around and hope someone takes you on with no experience or get six weeks training and a qualification. You see some lads on here are disheartened or a bit grumpy maybe even pissed it has been known, so with people coming into the game by course or horse (some will think the same thing). They think giving advise on a forum about plastering is a no no coz its gonna cost them there living. This is not the case as many are going in and coming out, its probably gonna even it out but personnally i think less people are getting into it and staying the long term coz its not something you can pick up that easily, but with six weeks training from qualified people and getting a qual cant do you any harm BUT IF YOU THINK YOU CAN JUST COME INTO THIS GAME AND STEAL ALL OUR MONEY YOUR MISTAKEN GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

flynnyman i dont plan on just coming in the trade and expecting to know it all i am looking on this as a new career i am in it for the long haul as i say one thing the armed forces have learnt me is if you want something you have to work at it and and listen to the ppl that know what they are talking about i am on here for gen advice off ppl like yourself not abuse like i have got out others because they sceared i might eventualy get as good as them or even maybe better.

If someone asked me for a job labouring and they told me they've been on a 6 week course it would put me off, flynny it's about a bit of common sense and respect for the trade I'm not bitter about people learning but they should learn the right way if none of you understand that you're beyond help

He is learning the right way he is going to a college and getting qualified or have i missed the point? Fair enough its not an apprenticeship but compaired to going on site and knocking up gear and putting it on straight away before being told anything is worse. Weve all said starting up your own business straight after going on a course is a joke but if the lad wants to get into platsering he's going the right way about it. If someone asked me for a job who had been on 6 weeks training i would give them a start before someone with no experience or interest. Spunky you got your quals through OSAT is that the right way? Im not having a dig but OSAT has been slagged off on here more than once for giving quals away willy nilly so going on a C&G course is gotta be better.

You're as bad as him either you're on the wind up or as naive as the lads that go on the courses, circumstances were dictated to me via osat like the other thousands of spreads..........you just said in you're own words he's going to college and getting qualified in 6 weeks what's the matter with that also you just said lads go on site and slap it on without being told what to do .....I know what goes on on site flynny, you've just made yourself out as a fool

Well were are you after doing a 6 wk course what is your title and who is accessing your work I can only think golden trowel are working within goverment standards for the plastering trade.

Forgive me for being old fashioned but if you were to do a paid job for somebody isn't it only fair that the person who is doing the job is proficient and not practicing?

I hope all these course centres burn to the ground serious I ******* dispise them become a qualified plasterer after 6 weeks ha ha a bargain at 2300 quid

i suppose at the end of the day... if some lad comes to you with the ability to mix up quickly without covering the job, knowing the difference between a trowel and a float then all you got left to do is teach him how to use the broom and floor scraper 2 handed...

might even weed the wasters out, no wasters gonna spend 600 quid on a course...

but that said, the very last thing i would want is some lad who thinks because he's been on a course and got a bit of paper that says he been on a course, then he's worth more money... so, do you spend 600 quid on a course, and still earn a labourers rate and go throught the same process... or do you spend your 600 quid on a car so you can get to the job without needing to be picked up and dropped off every day...

or better still... go on a plumbers course so you can pop radiators on and off without flooding the place... make yerself bloody useful lad... :RpS_tongue:

general building company prolly best place to look for work if you just come off a course... you can be part of a team and fit in better...

wow! I managed a post on 'courses' whilst sober and didnt offend a single person! :RpS_w00t:

I wanna gold medal!

Alright Spunk I hear you but unless your dad brother or mate how do you get into the trade.

personally to me it wouldn't matter if they new the difference between a hawk and a trowel because they wouldn't be using it I'd rather have them getting rooms ready mixing up and cleaning up there is no way I would let a lad lose with a trowel with only 6 weeks experience because I wouldn't have any work ready ahead of me I'd spend half my time making sure it was ok and the mixes would take forever cause he's faffing about with a wall plus it's disgusting they walk away with a qualification after 6 weeks no remorse against the people on the course because they know no different but it's grossly misleading at the skill level there at and I think whatever people say about getting on site and trained up proper I bet 90% of these lads go straight into you're local rag you're not going to spend 2300 quid on a course and not have money to advertise so again more idiots that don't know what there doing the markets flooded with wankers that don't know what there doing and it doesn't add any weight to you're arguement of getting rates up to realistically what they should be

Henry that's life I'm afraid I don't feel sorry for anyone if they've missed the boat tough

thing is mate... just cos your in the paper, doesnt mean youre gonna get any work...
best advert is word of mouth...
website seems to work though...
but you only ever as good as your last job so its a process of natural selection, doesnt bother me the same when I sober... let em get on with it...
the true knowledge that only the established spreads know....
large scale hand applied plastering is soon gonna be a thing of the past so theyre a bit late to say the least... they better off spending their 'princes trust' grant on a 3 day machine course and a machine... :flapper:

There's avert good chance you're going to get work it all comes down to price and most domestic customers don't know anything about plastering ......chris don't know where you're coming from about hand applying mate there isn't a decline at all

Status
Not open for further replies.