flexible floating stop bead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 29624
  • Start date

Members online

D

Deleted member 29624

Customer has exposed the arch of their fireplace and want to float the chimney breast wall out but leave the brick arch showing, ive seen flexible skim stop beads but can you get deeper one for floating or does it need to be free handed?

Customer has exposed the arch of their fireplace and want to float the chimney breast wall out but leave the brick arch showing, ive seen flexible skim stop beads but can you get deeper one for floating or does it need to be free handed?

You can get an arch forming kit if its fairly wide you need to set them on then bond it all out. It rounds the corners and you use a two coat bead for the head and legs of it. They sell them at wickes etc

download.jpg

It like this but he wants the upright bricks of the arch left as bare brick but floated up to them

Free hand or tell her to plaster down to arch pop a thin coat stop bead on the under side of the arch.

Use a 10mm plastic stop bead. Snip it every 30mm and bend it around. Fix with screws or nails into the brick joints.

Make sure you tape up the bricks they want exposed then float around it get a sort of shape you want then leave til you rub up to form it properly remember though you will have to skim the small formed return the job I done for Pete was similar but only wanted half floated chimney from top down with a roll at bottom on the 3 sides beads on corners then just free handed the roll must say I thought would look crap but did look good once done bloke was over the moon and even gave me high praise to Pete which was good

Make sure you tape up the bricks they want exposed then float around it get a sort of shape you want then leave til you rub up to form it properly remember though you will have to skim the small formed return the job I done for Pete was similar but only wanted half floated chimney from top down with a roll at bottom on the 3 sides beads on corners then just free handed the roll must say I thought would look crap but did look good once done bloke was over the moon and even gave me high praise to Pete which was good
Cheers mate good advice, makes good sense to tape it

Cheers mate good advice, makes good sense to tape it
I know it's basics mate and ain't teaching you how to suck eggs but it can be overlooked by some and once plaster on that Brick work it won't come off I got the extra sticky stuff brushed it it down til no more dust came off for your free hand stuff make sure you got small tool little filling knifes flexible ones and what I do is put it on let it firm up and then shape it won't get a good shape when too wet again not trying to say basics just how I do it mate plus if your free handing to get a shape doesn't matter if goes a little to firm either the trick is not to keep on it

I would Def freehand it... don't rush and take your time and pride in it and it will work out perfect

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

the bricks she wants showing look like they are proud of the other bricks so you wont need any beads,,, just work up to the bricks,, putting beads there is just complicating it and wont look so good,, but like pagey says make sure you tape the bricks up

I've used plastic corner beads for around arched windows. Can you not use one of them but cut one side off and make it into a stop bead?

Probably get crucified for this but f**k it....before anyone says it customer said just float up to the edges of the fireplace as he's putting some sort of metal decorative cornering (didn't really understand but did as I was told)
IMG_20160913_084400.jpg
IMG_20160913_135955.jpg

Also just noticed I hadnt cleaned the excess on the right hand bead when I took this, obviously I did do that

Looks f**k**g shite..... But if that's what they wanted lodan..
Then as Jurek said......f**k it.:sisi:

Last edited:
Thats exactly what he asked for, float up to edge and expose the arch then says he's putting metal corners on and going to polish the brickwork...like I said it was a bit over my head what his plan was