• Thread starter Deleted member 29624
  • Start date

Members online

Cheers mate been working on a big refurb this is just the stables
bda410c5d42c4e60e649a56cb34de797.jpg
ae8aa6d14460ffcaa04d2b2b791ded32.jpg
a57d7eaede7420b46cb360a15526c2c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Walls are all over the place but owner doesn't want much straightening up wants it to look like it grew there

Lodan mate not bad for first attempt at free hand done well they won't teach you that at gold trowel now you have the basics hopefully you are more confident in doing it if asked again,hope my advice helped as in tape up fully small tool flexible filling knifes ect

Also just noticed I hadnt cleaned the excess on the right hand bead when I took this, obviously I did do that
If anything the shaping is slightly off but not a bad first attempt next time have a shitty boat level and work off that on them up stand splay bits

Lodan mate not bad for first attempt at free hand done well they won't teach you that at gold trowel now you have the basics hopefully you are more confident in doing it if asked again,hope my advice helped as in tape up fully small tool flexible filling knifes ect
Best flexible filling knife is the mrs's credit cards chopped up

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If anything the shaping is slightly off but not a bad first attempt next time have a shitty boat level and work off that on them up stand splay bits
Do you mean the left is more on an angle than the right? If so that's because he's followed the edge of the brick soldiers
If you mean where he's brought the plaster back round into the brick due to depth difference than its a little wavey but wouldn't look to go straight to be honest tbh. clients gone for a mix of old and new which is always hard to get the balance right.

Yeah I agree, tbh I just did it all by eye, taped level with the top of the arch, banged some goo on and then pulled the tape of which gave it the shape. At least chap was happy with it so although not perfect was passable. Enjoyed something that needed some concentration

Do you mean the left is more on an angle than the right? If so that's because he's followed the edge of the brick soldiers
If you mean where he's brought the plaster back round into the brick due to depth difference than its a little wavey but wouldn't look to go straight to be honest tbh. clients gone for a mix of old and new which is always hard to get the balance right.

With the left right bit I agree followed the brick but the other bit lost me...im pretty sure youre being complimentary though(y)

Really enjoyed it mate, all done with my 14" marshalltown so agree next time some smaller tools would really help....cheers for the taping advice thats how I got the shape, taped, floated then pulled it off for shape and re taped ready for skim

With the left right bit I agree followed the brick but the other bit lost me...im pretty sure youre being complimentary though(y)

My only criticism would be if you used gypsum backing coat on those soot stained bricks???

Next time wire brush them mate but i can't see any problems happening
Noted...every day is a school day...think thats what I under estimated when I first started out, so many little bits and bobs a course would never think to mention to you

The soot carries salt that attack the plaster.
Worst cast the paint bubbles and blisters making it look like damp.
Just depends how bad the soot deposit is on the wall.
I always advise to tank and render just to be safe but if client won't pay it what can you do. Some will call that overkill just like I say Hardwall shouldn't be used.
At least your covered if anything burns through.
It's either gonna be fine or it won't I suppose but worry about that when/if it happens. I'm not picking fault mind think you've done well just offering advice.

The soot carries salt that attack the plaster.
Worst cast the paint bubbles and blisters making it look like damp.
Just depends how bad the soot deposit is on the wall.
I always advise to tank and render just to be safe but if client won't pay it what can you do. Some will call that overkill just like I say Hardwall shouldn't be used.
At least your covered if anything burns through.
It's either gonna be fine or it won't I suppose but worry about that when/if it happens. I'm not picking fault mind think you've done well just offering advice.

No mate, thanks for the insight....i'll garuntee if it fucks up due to my error they'll have it sorted for free with an apology from me

Normally with experience u can get the return into the brick pretty similar it's all about taking your time with it and after a while you get a feel for it I think lodan done a good job mate if I'm honest and was brave to tackle it I wasn't knocking and I did give advice before he done it on how i would go about it instead of the usual people knocking him

If it bleeds through just sand down and apply some oil based paint then paint with what they had

Normally with experience u can get the return into the brick pretty similar it's all about taking your time with it and after a while you get a feel for it I think lodan done a good job mate if I'm honest and was brave to tackle it I wasn't knocking and I did give advice before he done it on how i would go about it instead of the usual people knocking him
Advice was good and really helped(y)

Yeah I agree, tbh I just did it all by eye, taped level with the top of the arch, banged some goo on and then pulled the tape of which gave it the shape. At least chap was happy with it so although not perfect was passable. Enjoyed something that needed some concentration
Mate I gave u advice on how I go about it and normally people don't wanna give tips but your alright done well mate it's a matter of getting used to it and was a small detail to start with not knocking mate

Can always pm if u want mate loads on here will advice as well mate so your in good hands
To be honest as im new I sometimes think a photo on here is a good thing....you know people will be brutal and post things you didnt even notice...best way to get better is to put yourself out there and accept the defects and make sure they not there next time

To be honest as im new I sometimes think a photo on here is a good thing....you know people will be brutal and post things you didnt even notice...best way to get better is to put yourself out there and accept the defects and make sure they not there next time
Anyone can find fault it's the easiest job

Thing with internals can always be gone over if they ain't happy

True but not the best bit of advice. Especially when they've had the fire fitted the new carpets down the painting all done and wood work finished.
They don't really appreciate having to fix it after all that do they even if it costs them nothing.

looks pretty good lodan and those bull nose beads look interesting @jeanclaudevangyproc
They are good the jobs a mish mash of really old , old and new ,oak everywhere plus there's a time scale on it so I did some research and found them as the bloke wanted bullnoses here and there so if we had to hand form them would take to long due to the fact he goes I fancy a bullnose on that corner last min!

They are good the jobs a mish mash of really old , old and new ,oak everywhere plus there's a time scale on it so I did some research and found them as the bloke wanted bullnoses here and there so if we had to hand form them would take to long due to the fact he goes I fancy a bullnose on that corner last min!

how do they ppaint up? or do they look bad anyway?

They are made from the same plastic as arch beads and the bullnose is not smooth as such if you rub you hand down them you can feel a texture/slight roughness on the face of them so I think they will paint up sound

would be good to see them painted