Flat affected by damp

Members online

Soccernut6

Hi

I’d be very grateful for advice on this. I live in a one-bedroom basement flat. It’s been badly affected by water escaping from a leaking wastepipe in the bathroom. It wasn’t until August 2018 that rising damp became visible, and not until the second half of September 2018 that the cause was found. My best guess is that water was escaping for at least a year, so much of the water used in at least 300 different showers has found its way into the floors and walls of the flat. It’s about 30 foot in length, with the bathroom at one end. The loss adjustor came in April, when water damage was already apparent at different spots along the entire length of the flat. However, new water damage only became visible in one of my cupboards, at least 20 feet from the bathroom, at some stage between April and August, when I first noticed it.

The insurers are going to pay for the repairs and redecoration, including stripping the bathroom and drying it out. However, I really don’t feel I can have the redecoration of the other rooms done until all the water now logged in those rooms has evaporated or caused any damage it’s going to cause. Would anyone have a rough idea how long that might take in a situation like this?

Very many thanks

Hi

I’d be very grateful for advice on this. I live in a one-bedroom basement flat. It’s been badly affected by water escaping from a leaking wastepipe in the bathroom. It wasn’t until August 2018 that rising damp became visible, and not until the second half of September 2018 that the cause was found. My best guess is that water was escaping for at least a year, so much of the water used in at least 300 different showers has found its way into the floors and walls of the flat. It’s about 30 foot in length, with the bathroom at one end. The loss adjustor came in April, when water damage was already apparent at different spots along the entire length of the flat. However, new water damage only became visible in one of my cupboards, at least 20 feet from the bathroom, at some stage between April and August, when I first noticed it.

The insurers are going to pay for the repairs and redecoration, including stripping the bathroom and drying it out. However, I really don’t feel I can have the redecoration of the other rooms done until all the water now logged in those rooms has evaporated or caused any damage it’s going to cause. Would anyone have a rough idea how long that might take in a situation like this?

Very many thanks

Rough rule of thumb is a mm per day.

Also, being a basement flat, probably less natural ventilation.

Have they set up a dehumidifier?

my cousin had the copper pipes bust under the floor screed.in her bungalow.
she reported it to direct line insurance in march,
they started the work in april. a full dry out with several dehumidifiers and fans, and the walls are now being decorated in sept.
a basement flat will take months to dry out.

All depends on the levels of moisture involved ,porosity of the affected building materials ,rate of drying etc and being in a basement it’s going to probably take months rather than weeks.

My plumber friend had a joint burst and it was dumping mains pressure water into a property for 3 weeks before anybody noticed. As the customer went o holiday.

We had dehumidifier in there for 9 months and the walls were still soaked

Hi

Many thanks to all of you for the responses. Apologies for the delay - I don't have email notifications set up. I've been told once work starts there'll be an industrial dehumidifier used in the bathroom.

Danny, the dehumidifier you referred to, is that an industrial or a small household one?

Kind regards

Hi

Many thanks to all of you for the responses. Apologies for the delay - I don't have email notifications set up. I've been told once work starts there'll be an industrial dehumidifier used in the bathroom.

Danny, the dehumidifier you referred to, is that an industrial or a small household one?

Kind regards
If you're gonna get a dehumidifier don't mess around with a Argos special go hire one that's going to make a difference!

Hi

Kind regards

We have just used household ones (sorry for the slow reply)