EWI Jobs

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
With energy prices set to rise continually over the coming decades, i'd say that 30% of heat lost through walls represents a significant cost to the homeowner.

5 years ago gas and leccy for the year was average £300-400 pa, now its double and more- this will continue to increase over the years.

By thermal linings I assume you mean internal wall insulation? Proportionately more expensive than EWI after factoring in redecoration costs after second fix adaptions.

I'd say a £4500 investment(including grants) on a typical 80m2 house is a reasonable payoff for increased energy savings over the life the system installed in light of future energy cost increases.

I've heard there trying to get rid of gas and electric will rule 2017 onward

Is there evidence of ewi adding value to a house, we all no what estate agents are like, would they even no what ewi is ? I'm not sure how it would work but you wouldn't want to shell out for it knowing you're going to get a return in ten years or whatever knowing you might move house in-between

Is there evidence of ewi adding value to a house, we all no what estate agents are like, would they even no what ewi is ? I'm not sure how it would work but you wouldn't want to shell out for it knowing you're going to get a return in ten years or whatever knowing you might move house in-between

Back in the day when EWI was touted for private homeowners, one of the advantages was a supposed 10-15% increase in property value, or at least the cost supplying and installing the system.

I don't know if this still holds true these days or not.

EWI retains %35 of your heat. there is no better way to insulate. insulation is at its best the closer to the cold it can be ie. in a loft it is better to do the rafters than have wool on the deck.

so EWI being on the outside is as good as it gets

If you have got a brick house then render over the top this can reduce the value of your house coz brick is better i believe and if the render is done bad or its the only one on the street it could also put off a potential buyer. I dont think render on top of render is gonna add a penny to the value of your house the same as having loft insulation or a conservatory but might help it to sell.

If you have got a brick house then render over the top this can reduce the value of your house coz brick is better i believe and if the render is done bad or its the only one on the street it could also put off a potential buyer. I dont think render on top of render is gonna add a penny to the value of your house the same as having loft insulation or a conservatory but might help it to sell.

Insulation is the way forward and it is the gonna be the new big issue but as you point out its got to look right

Just bumping this back upto the top.

Training is also available for any plastering companies wishing expand there Skills, our facility is in Leicester.

Schemes In,

Birkenhead
Manchester (3 Tower Blocks)
Birmingham (Multiple Site)
Black Country (Multiple Sites)
Cornwall (3 Sites)
Dorset (2 Schemes) MOD Clearance required
South Wales (4 Sites)
East Midlands (3 Sites)
South East (2 Schemes)

Collo

Steve,

That commitment would see you in for at least a million a month on labour only!!, unless you had an exceptional factoring company or some city backer im not sure you could meet that commitment, unless of course you have?

Collo

Steve,

That commitment would see you in for at least a million a month on labour only!!, unless you had an exceptional factoring company or some city backer im not sure you could meet that commitment, unless of course you have?

Collo

Collo - you replacing us already?!

I bought another broom for Trerise if this makes any difference to your decision!!

Steve - fair play - I'll just step aside and let you get on with it - will you be able to take on my labour force, wouldn't want to see them short of work.

Hi Jasper Collo no i couldnt handle all that work but have 100 or so men ready and raring to go, i have a financial backer now and even covering 100 wages for 2-3 months is a lot of money however if contracts are signed then the banks will also back me.
Dont want to have any animosity what so ever jasper just thought it easier if i had a few contracts down south as thats where i will be based soon and from what collo said theres more than enough to go around, if not then please accept my appologies mate

You carry on the good work pal, another 75 privates dropped in Friday, expecting a tender award for an additional bank of work unrelated to the current scheme.

Collo

Who sets the time limits for these schemes to be completed. Ie 10 houses in 6 weeks.is it to shrink costs. Is the grant only available for a time

They are set by the funding framework, whoever that may be,under the generic CERT/CESP/ECO funding programmes AFAIK

Maybe there should be costs available for weatherproofing these projects at day 1 to make the rates more appealing and realistic

think he means covering the houses with scaffold and sheeting so can be done in all weathers... which by the way is a good option if cost effective as main contractor has to hit dead lines and down time in the UK is massive because of the weather

There is a growing trend i have noticed in larger city properties that seem to shrink wrap a weatherproof coating around the scaffolding (often with advertising and artists impressions of the finished project) ewi refurb work is often ready to go at and only reliant on materials and labour. You need money to supply both comfortably . If you had guys on the books they will make money when the weather is good but take it away when the weather is bad, if you are using sub contractors you reduce your risk and profit, then often the work they do will be interrupted by bad weather leaving works incomplete when its time for valuations, naturally the large volumes of material not getting used will need paying for on time so the next order can be made. Rain proofing the site reduces these risks by more or less guaranteeing long uninterrupted runs of earning money.

Nice one Collo look forward to working with you (in all weather) what about when it falls below 5c how about some nice space heaters as well?

Last edited:
Its a sealed system and has inlet ports for heating, although trials say that once its wrapped the ambient temperature raises due to naturally occuring heat gain, a winter product i also being developed.

Collo

That all sounds good and promising, but in the real world, is this weatherproofing cost effective on sites relying on quick unit turnover?

The principle of it sounds great, but will it be practical on all but the large single site construction projects. Will there be sufficient labour to apply it? - can scaffolders fit it as part of their package? - and can we have it for our glorious British Summer?, Please!!

You do not have to be a scaffolder to erect mate, and the intention is to have and pay the contracor to erect, yes it will slow things down, but we will have some production versus no production, the summer idea is to install a canopy not a full enevelope.
It has been used extensively used in Germany, and the Irish guys have been erecting there own scaffold for a few years, as for cost, it needs to market tested, at the moment you have an industry on hold during winter, that has to change, how this pans out financially has yet to be demonstarted, its an unknown to us all, but it has to happen.

Collo

it can be done cheaply, Layher do system scaffold that has upright bars with overhangs as part of its system for the top lift, the deck boards are solid and don't let rain through them like planks and there are no tubes sticking out so can be covered in standard sized sheeting. Anyone can install it and its so easy to work off. You have ladders that fold into the deck outa the way so access is a doddle. An initial investment would pay for itself 10 fold and then you could sell it all off. (i know cos i bought a load)
but on normal scaffold there are companies that will shrink wrap your scaffold and you can also buy inflatable roofs that will span the roof without scaffold, you just have to put up with really crap access, bars restricting your every move and 1 ladder on the corner of the whole scaffold

bin any bucket coat renders aswell they are expensive a nuisance to clean and dont go off in winter, use mineral systems. and dont use rockwool it tickles my throat

there was an attempt to do this years ago in the 60s . it was called the balloon, on a local army housing estate, it was made from tarpaulins and covered about a block of 10 houses. air was blown in to keep the balloon up.with a tunnel entrance. it ended one day when there was a gale force wind and the balloon exploded

Appreciate the input cheers, i honestly didn't think 800 a week was a bad number, not sure 7-8 sq mtrs a day per man is flat out, but if its poor then fair comment.
My 4 men teams look to deliver 85 m2 per week per man ie 340 m2 per squad per week providing site is run properly and no delays and also weather permitting

Collo, New to forum and don't know how to Inbox! but if you can email me your contact details on kris@allwalluk.com would be interested in having a chat with you as we are singing from the same hymn sheet. We do private work and HA - CERT CESP and have recently set up a EWI training centre also going for Green Deal Installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.