Downsize van?

Members online

Cornelius

So I was chugging around in my van the other day (2005 Vito) and I was thinking I'd like a smaller van something easier to drive and better on fuel. Something like a connect size or like the old combo size. Does anyone successfully work out of a smaller size van? I was thinking roof rack for plasterboard and a tube for my straight edges and beads, can you get long wheelbase smaller vans? Or even a small van with enough room for two passengers in the front? Any suggestions?

It might be a bad idea but I like the thought of a nice new little van , the Vito is a bit of a tank feels quite heavy and cumbersome good engine though. A lot of country lanes I drive through and it's a pain.

I'm in the same dilemma half debating going back to a pickup with roof rack.. as I'm about to build a garden room slash she'd.

Try a look at a merc citan xlwb with a cage that wraps around the drivers seat. Just a Renault kangoo with a merc badge. Look smarter though. I've a connect lwb can get 6x3s in it, may even get 8x4s in with the passenger seat down. Never tried. Good little van tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer driving the van to a car on country lanes, you can see over most hedges in daylight, and don't get as much glare from thick w4nkers who don't dip their lights at night.

Just get roof rack on smaller van for extra storage
IMG_9627.JPG

Try a look at a merc citan xlwb with a cage that wraps around the drivers seat. Just a Renault kangoo with a merc badge. Look smarter though. I've a connect lwb can get 6x3s in it, may even get 8x4s in with the passenger seat down. Never tried. Good little van tho

The citan is nice (y)

The connect does a high roof long wheel Base. Still small but longer. I was tempted but the older ones are only 2 front seats. The newer ones have 3seats at front but above budget. Lol

The connect does a high roof long wheel Base. Still small but longer. I was tempted but the older ones are only 2 front seats. The newer ones have 3seats at front but above budget. Lol

You wouldn't want to sit in that middle seat, end up with rickets.
e7d5527c1e3620f091debd8e3480dbe8.png

That's the back of mine, you could you that if you just did small domestics or site.

I guess it depends what you do most of the time. I know a domestic spread with a combi and always had small vans. I've got medium height medium wheel base transit and still need my lock up.

We need straight edges, big levels and all that s**t,do lot outsides and sand cement our block walls. Then my old van was an 03 dispatch,had to put 8ft edges in at a while angle. Lol think I'll go traffic/vivaro/transit when I cba Gettin another one. Happy nuff jumping in someone else's these days lol

The new dispatch and experts look smart, big money now though compared to a few year ago. Last models seem to be a good workhorse though.

Got to do the same.

New lock up and incorporate a day room out there.

Any plans yet?
Building a wood frame 4by 2 adding a pvc door and window going to use cement boards then silicone render fibre glass the roof .. maybe bit of cinderwood on it. Obviously adding membrane and things were needed. Raising it up.
100mm celotex insulation then plaster board skim.
I'll put some pics up of progress.

I've been trying to score a cheap mini clubman for a little runaround, as parking can be an issue on some jobs but wouldn't be without my lwb van saves so much hassle.

I've been trying to score a cheap mini clubman for a little runaround, as parking can be an issue on some jobs but wouldn't be without my lwb van saves so much hassle.
Two vans would be ideal can't really justify that unless you're a contractor though.

Don't do it mate - here's my history:
Bought a Ford Courier van for my first work van, it was quite high and boxy but still had to get a 8x4 roof rack too carry pb.....then having to tarp over the pb incase it rained (a right pain in the arse). I had a tube on the roof too - straight edges and beads went in there - another pain in the arse as you stretched your hand in and would get speared by the beads - I'd sit in Wickes car park looking at the big van and think this is SHITE, I'm sweating my bollix off before I've even started work

Couple of years later I bought a Renault Traffic and work life just got 100% easier.

I've had berlingo with roof rack and pipe tube for a couple of years now doing domestics , extensions and the odd new build . It's not too bad but will be going back to transit size van next time. Just having to swap tools over too much if you're doing different jobs is the biggest pain.

I have a caddy which I use and a transit sat on the drive which I'm awaiting a v5 to tax it, I'd never go back to having a caddy size van as everything is just a stress and sometimes have to do 2 trips to a job before I can start, 1st to drop off tools and 2nd to drop off the gear

no, the new shape, its just hard to come by for a reasonable price, theres a few on ebay for 4-5k but my budget is around 1.5-2k max, i`m asking the impossible i think

Ah I see :D was going to say the classic ones are like rocking horse poo now

Ah I see :D was going to say the classic ones are like rocking horse poo now
Seen 1 or 2 on eBay, going for a few k but it was only a shell. I don't think I would fit in one anyway. Only thinking getting one so the Mrs could use it in the meantime when I don't need it, so could get rid of her car finally