Damp works on the property we are buying

Dear vincey in the future can you please ask a responsible adult or your carer from special school to check any of your posts before you reply thank you.thanks to GPS and Flynnyman for making my day,it's better than a peter Kay sketch.

Dear vincey in the future can you please ask a responsible adult or your carer from special school to check any of your posts before you reply thank you.thanks to GPS and Flynnyman for making my day,it's better than a peter Kay sketch.

You sir have just won post of the week lol, @Danny will advise of your prize

lol I didn't really want to get into one GPs and Flynny long drawn out debates tbh, end of the day they know their making a mountain out of a mole hill, it's one room with less than a grands worth of work to put right and Flynny don't forget my oldest brother is a fully qualified surveyor with over 30 years experience, he was doing that job when you were in nappies mate

lol I didn't really want to get into one GPs and Flynny long drawn out debates tbh, end of the day they know their making a mountain out of a mole hill, it's one room with less than a grands worth of work to put right and Flynny don't forget my oldest brother is a fully qualified surveyor with over 30 years experience, he was doing that job when you were in nappies mate

One room for now, wait til all the other problems start to arise.
The bank want another report too, are they also making a mountain out of a mole hill ?

Btw do you think the damp has only just appeared or was it there originally but covered up ?

And I'm sure even your brother would admit home buyers surveys and not worth a thing

Had a survey done in 2001,3 months later damp coming up on living room,saw the actual surveyor I had payed to do the work in the local paper picking up a prize for his knowledge in the business,rang him on the Monday got all my money back on the Friday,W anka

I couldn't give a rats arse how long your brother has been a surveyor, he has probably been telling the same lies for 30 years. I've been a plaster near on 30 years and I can guarantee I know a hell of a lot more than your brother was taught 30 years ago. Like I said stop digging a hole it's common knowledge on here your a nodding dog who has not got a Scooby Doo. If you don't want a drawn out debate stop contributing to its bullshit, i told you earlier on in the thread the walls had been dabbed after you disputed it and I've also put you right on the fact damp has been flagged up, now go away and talk s**t on another thread:

Pull the plug mate . You will find the floor boards and floor joist have wood rot as well. Not just the walls damp . Another thing in the pic does the cornice look mouldy or is it my phone .

A surveyor will dismiss checking dabbed walls and should mention the problems that WILL arise when the temperature drops. Steer clear this type of property should not be dabbed.

Good morning gentlemen. I'm glad I could offer an opportunity for some healthy debate

Flynnyman - could you please expand on why this type of property should not be dabbed?

My concern is that they are doing a patch job and that problems will come further down the line. There is damp- we could see marks appear on the wall and raised it with them which is why they are now doing this work. It seems to me they are just putting a lining behind the plaster board on the damp bits. I'm no builder but I reckon that's just delaying further problems and not actually resolving it? Unless they have done something else prior to that step

The other thing is that we very much want this property for numerous reasons and would struggle to find somewhere similar in this location. We were looking for a year.

The surveyor is going round at the end of this week for a refreshed home report. We should have gotten a building survey done in hindsight.....

Good morning gentlemen. I'm glad I could offer an opportunity for some healthy debate

Flynnyman - could you please expand on why this type of property should not be dabbed?

My concern is that they are doing a patch job and that problems will come further down the line. There is damp- we could see marks appear on the wall and raised it with them which is why they are now doing this work. It seems to me they are just putting a lining behind the plaster board on the damp bits. I'm no builder but I reckon that's just delaying further problems and not actually resolving it? Unless they have done something else prior to that step

The other thing is that we very much want this property for numerous reasons and would struggle to find somewhere similar in this location. We were looking for a year.

The surveyor is going round at the end of this week for a refreshed home report. We should have gotten a building survey done in hindsight.....

A healthy debate is the only thing this place does well :D :D

If this is the house for you and you are in love with it then keep going with the sale... I would rather buy and older property with damp issues than a new build any day :D

If you know about the problems then you can get prepared for them as well, when you move in get some photos up of the damp and what and post on here I am sure there wil be plenty of help along the way :D

It is more than a concern, this is precisely what is happening, a home buyers report is virtually useless.

You have been warned

Proceed with extreme caution and expect to be paying out again for works to be re done in the near future.

Good luck

Glad you came back :) I would guess just by looking at the timbers and the type of bricks this Is an old property, I would go as far as saying it is older than your average terrace maybe 150 years old. These type of properties are solid wall construction with no cavity. Dabbing walls will create cold spots which Is the marks you saw? There is no such lining they can put behind the plasterboards that will fix the problem it will only hide it till the cold weather comes. Do not be ruled by your heart on this one because it will be broken once you move in. Is the surveyor independent? Can you go around and take more pics of the inside and more importantly the outside?

Just to add the electrics look like a bodge I would have them checked, my guess is it needs a full rewire. Please do not do what most people do and not come back on because the answer is not what you want hear, because I guarantee you will be back in November asking how to fix the problems.

Glad you have posted back on here a lot of people do and never come back to update us , me Flynny always have a ding dong tbh about most things, even if it was a blade of grass being discussed he'd start, but in all seriousness I was told when I brought my first house by my uncle to never loose the house you really want for the sake of £5000 because in years to come it won't matter as the price would of gone up so much to even care and he was right

Last edited:
Just to add the electrics look like a bodge I would have them checked, my guess is it needs a full rewire. Please do not do what most people do and not come back on because the answer is not what you want hear, because I guarantee you will be back in November asking how to fix the problems.
Electrics don't need protective covers over them if the property has had a resently installed mains box because they trip out near enough instantly , new regs , don't know if you are aware of mate

Glad you have posted back on here a lot of people do and never come back to update us , me Flynny always have a ding dong tbh about most things, even if it was a blade of grass being discussed he'd start, but in all seriousness I was told when I brought my first house by my uncle to never loose the house you really want for the sake of £5000 because in years to come it won't matter as the price would of gone up so much to even care

there is a family in a village near me ( Dunton) who bought their dream 4 bed detached house or so they thought, it has had to be pulled down because it was unsafe after an absolute bodge, this wasn't a new property either, they are currently living on the site in a caravan with absolutely no legal avenues to go down.
Now I'm not saying this is the case here but bad work has shown up in a short space of time, what else have they hidden or done wrong ?

Let's not be kidded, there will be bodged jobs in 90% of the houses that are up for sale, I wouldn't let this put me off buying if it was a house that I really wanted after looking for a year. If you are willing to pay out money further down the line to repair the problem I don't see anything wrong with buying it. I would instruct my lawyer to ask the sellers lawyer what kind of work was carried out to rectify the damp and what guarantees are in place that it won't come back. If communication about it is done by lawyers then I'm sure if you went down the small claim court later on you would have the evidence you need with that and the pictures.

Glad you have posted back on here a lot of people do and never come back to update us , me Flynny always have a ding dong tbh about most things, even if it was a blade of grass being discussed he'd start, but in all seriousness I was told when I brought my first house by my uncle to never loose the house you really want for the sake of £5000 because in years to come it won't matter as the price would of gone up so much to even care and he was right
Next time you see your uncle ask him has he heard of house prices going down or interest rates going up? It's quite funny you started at a £1000 a few posts back and now your upto £5000 lol, you don't know these peoples budget and what is usually the case most people stretch themselves. If your going to buy a house to do up, you save the money to do it, you don't buy a house you expect is done to them rip it out and start again, stop with your stupid advise ffs.
Electrics don't need protective covers over them if the property has had a resently installed mains box because they trip out near enough instantly , new regs , don't know if you are aware of mate
who mentioned covers? You assume it has had a new consumer unit but maybe it hasn't? The electrics are rough, the sockets on a slant the switch looks to low and it should have capping because you will get a bang before it trips out, if that's the standard they have set I guarantee a qualified spark has not touched it or signed it off.

Let's not be kidded, there will be bodged jobs in 90% of the houses that are up for sale, I wouldn't let this put me off buying if it was a house that I really wanted after looking for a year. If you are willing to pay out money further down the line to repair the problem I don't see anything wrong with buying it. I would instruct my lawyer to ask the sellers lawyer what kind of work was carried out to rectify the damp and what guarantees are in place that it won't come back. If communication about it is done by lawyers then I'm sure if you went down the small claim court later on you would have the evidence you need with that and the pictures.
Would you really want to be having this argument once you bought something after you were advised against it? Doesn't matter what you get in writing if thy are not in a position to pay your still living in a building site. We are all aware of these life time guarantees on damp that are worthless.

I also agree there are a lot of bodges but you only really notice them down the line once you move in, not before. If they really have their heart set on it I would be looking at a £10,000 discount to put it right, not some piece of paper promising to put it right.

Would you really want to be having this argument once you bought something after you were advised against it? Doesn't matter what you get in writing if thy are not in a position to pay your still living in a building site. We are all aware of these life time guarantees on damp that are worthless.
My point is if you really want the house and are willing to pay out further down the line then I'd still buy. If I was on a tight budget and living hand to mouth each month then I'd steer clear. Only the buyer will know if she's prepared to do that. I'd rather know about any problems than buy not knowing.

My point is if you really want the house and are willing to pay out further down the line then I'd still buy. If I was on a tight budget and living hand to mouth each month then I'd steer clear. Only the buyer will know if he's prepared to do that. I'd rather know about any problems than buy not knowing.
Yes and you would expect the price to reflect it?

My point is if you really want the house and are willing to pay out further down the line then I'd still buy. If I was on a tight budget and living hand to mouth each month then I'd steer clear. Only the buyer will know if he's prepared to do that. I'd rather know about any problems than buy not knowing.
I also got the impression we were speaking with a female ;)