Certified Plasterer Scheme - Q&A

How are they going to be point of contact with customers
I`d assumed they were gonna be promoting stuff from the "Rooms Made For You" side of things, everything is about brand identity for companies nowadays?
Bob the hairy-arsed builder gets his rough edges smoothed off to become Roberto the interior designer lol

What's to stop someone being certified and sending any arsehole with a hawk and trowel to the jobs they win? they won't be certified.

Do you need to wear a lanyard with your photo i.d on it smiling pointing at a bag of uni?

The flaws are rife.

I`d assumed they were gonna be promoting stuff from the "Rooms Made For You" side of things, everything is about brand identity for companies nowadays?
Bob the hairy-arsed builder gets his rough edges smoothed off to become Roberto the interior designer lol

im glad someone mentioned that name and site, because if you go on there and look at the terms of use @BritishGypsum have made a disclaimer about anything and everything to do with it, even saying that quite clearly anything you read on the site may be incorrect or out of date, its actually a joke so please @BritishGypsum explain ??

What's to stop someone being certified and sending any arsehole with a hawk and trowel to the jobs they win? they won't be certified.

Do you need to wear a lanyard with your photo i.d on it smiling pointing at a bag of uni?

The flaws are rife.
You get an ID card

Bg do this and watch us ask ourselfs questions about it.
Its a lot of b*ll***s,dont buy into another shite membership when most customers dont give a s**t.

How are they going to be point of contact with customers when they do not know or care who they are, do you seriously think a customer walks past a bag of finish and thinks ok I need a plasterer let me contact the manufacturer to find one ?

This one did..

3003580.jpg

Who from BG are coming out to assess the blokes to see if they're competent ? and who has assessed them to see if they're competent of assessing ? And which no mark has set the benchmark ?

Who the fuc7 are BG to come up with a scheme and set standards when there's more to the trade than BG bagged products.

What if someone contacts them for some traditional sand and cement work, or some thin coat or a screed ? Will they put them off as its not a bag of skim or will they put them in touch with one of their certified blokes, who may never have touched an outside job in his life ?

I suspect when they come on for there Q&A as always they will give a political style answer to the questions that make them look good and ignore everything else.

Who from BG are coming out to assess the blokes to see if they're competent ? and who has assessed them to see if they're competent of assessing ? And which no mark has set the benchmark ?

Who the fuc7 are BG to come up with a scheme and set standards when there's more to the trade than BG bagged products.

What if someone contacts them for some traditional sand and cement work, or some thin coat or a screed ? Will they put them off as its not a bag of skim or will they put them in touch with one of their certified blokes, who may never have touched an outside job in his life ?

I suspect when they come on for there Q&A as always they will give a political style answer to the questions that make them look good and ignore everything else.

How many schemes have come and gone.
They mean jack s**t.
I have been in a few and can say 99% of customers did not care.
If you think it will be good join and get your mutley badge.
Some of you guys seem to think this is wonderfull,,im a bg certified plasterer.
Get a reality check.
Bg have not got the balls to interact with us on this forum on a regular basis.
A lot of yous seem to forget that.
They only come on to promote their own means.then run away.
Until a 6 monthly qa session pops up.

How many schemes have come and gone.
They mean jack s**t.
I have been in a few and can say 99% of customers did not care.
If you think it will be good join and get your mutley badge.
Some of you guys seem to think this is wonderfull,,im a bg certified plasterer.
Get a reality check.
Bg have not got the balls to interact with us on this forum on a regular basis.
A lot of yous seem to forget that.
They only come on to promote their own means.then run away.
Until a 6 monthly qa session pops up.
I'm a member and I'm much better than everyone else now. I walk round with my head held high and laugh at all the other plasterers at the builders merchants.

TBH I don't see why people are getting so wound up about it? If it only nets a job or two a year it's worth joining. It doesn't matter if the assessor is good, bad, or indifferent, he or she will have ticked a box. That will give a few customers a bit more confidence.

I think, and it's only a personal opinion, that the flaw in the idea is that it's a manufacturer backed scheme. That will always leave it open to criticism over vested interests. As far as I'm aware there isn't a trade association for plastering? So a better option would be to create one and turn the scheme over to it. That way they will avoid the suspicion that the more you fly the BG flag, or the more BG gear you shift the more favourably you'll be looked on within the scheme.

If it does stay as a BG scheme then I think it'd be a good idea to have membership levels which are based on trade skill levels. So if your work is all in one area of plastering, skimming say, you're level 3. If you work in, or can prove competence in other areas such as lime work or moulded plaster you get a level 2. Not all plasterers are equal, and any skill based scheme should reflect that IMNSHO.

TBH I don't see why people are getting so wound up about it? If it only nets a job or two a year it's worth joining. It doesn't matter if the assessor is good, bad, or indifferent, he or she will have ticked a box. That will give a few customers a bit more confidence.

I think, and it's only a personal opinion, that the flaw in the idea is that it's a manufacturer backed scheme. That will always leave it open to criticism over vested interests. As far as I'm aware there isn't a trade association for plastering? So a better option would be to create one and turn the scheme over to it. That way they will avoid the suspicion that the more you fly the BG flag, or the more BG gear you shift the more favourably you'll be looked on within the scheme.

If it does stay as a BG scheme then I think it'd be a good idea to have membership levels which are based on trade skill levels. So if your work is all in one area of plastering, skimming say, you're level 3. If you work in, or can prove competence in other areas such as lime work or moulded plaster you get a level 2. Not all plasterers are equal, and any skill based scheme should reflect that IMNSHO.

1 or 2 jobs a year for a minimum £250 a year subscription lol

And because what is being said is that those in the scheme are far better more trustworthy than those that are not.

Eze's gone mate but money is in the bank until I decide what to do. Too busy to push the airless at the moment and the hype has died down again :rayos:

Am just after taking on 2 more school's
to do. me that what's to get out of plastering taking on more big jobs and buying machines lol. Am now thinking of buying a airless sprayer lol. It's all ways the same the bloke that doesn't want the work gets it. Lol. Am a f**k**g tool.

Am just after taking on 2 more school's
to do. me that what's to get out of plastering taking on more big jobs and buying machines lol. Am now thinking of buying a airless sprayer lol. It's all ways the same the bloke that doesn't want the work gets it. Lol. Am a f**k**g tool.
Haha I'm the same. The more I want out the more I get involved somehow. The less work I want the more I get :nocausagracia:

Being told if you're good enough to be in the club by a company who can't even produce the materials consistently that you will need to use on their scheme really sticks in my craw. And what's this code of conduct you need to abide by?

The c**ts have a cheek, they don't want to know about any problems we have with their gear and rubber ear you on here but now they want to tell us how to act how to dress and how to work FOR A FEE

It's almost funny...almost.

1 or 2 jobs a year for a minimum £250 a year subscription lol

And because what is being said is that those in the scheme are far better more trustworthy than those that are not.

Yeah, if you're not making more than £250 out of two jobs then you've got bigger problems than a scheme membership!

Of course it is, that's what all these schemes do. Even the lead generators like MyBuilder or TrustedTradesmen crack on like their registered members are better because ...... There are two purposes to these schemes:- 1) Make money for the people running them. 2) Do that by giving the customer more confidence in using the scheme members.

So if they make money out of it then fine, they're not taking it away from tradesmen, they're adding some on top. Same principle as a main contractor and it's been that way for centuries. If the customer feels more confident in using someone that's also fine because the work gets done either way.

I'd be against this scheme and all the others if there was a downside that affected tradesmen or their businesses, but there isn't. So they can crack on and we can carry on earning as we've always done. In the scheme or out of it isn't going to make a huge impact one way or the other.

Hope @BritishGypsum do answer these questions they are good points tbf.
Being told if you're good enough to be in the club by a company who can't even produce the materials consistently that you will need to use on their scheme really sticks in my craw. And what's this code of conduct you need to abide by?

The c**ts have a cheek, they don't want to know about any problems we have with their gear and rubber ear you on here but now they want to tell us how to act how to dress and how to work FOR A FEE

It's almost funny...almost.
Said in the other thread they want tpf members to get on board with the scheme , hopefully next Friday will maybe help do that, i agree with you it would be better all round if they came on more.

Hope @BritishGypsum hopefully next Friday will maybe help do that, i agree with you it would be better all round if they came on more.

I have to say, BG do display a dismissive arrogance. Like it or hate it, this is the largest online gathering of plasterers and their presence is minimal with no attempt to engage with individuals. They're the same on social media.

They seem to think that because they have a near monopoly and shift loads of gear it's OK to be like that. A dangerous attitude for their business long term IMHO.