Certified Plasterer Scheme - Q&A

It would be very good if it was punishing enough to set a bench mark for good plasterers, if it were anything else it's just an opportunity for domestic lads to show off infront of customers and hope they take the bait, the downside would be it could mean upto half a dozen visits to see the same person which would more than likely make the cost out of the question
Any large building contractors would just look at the floor if you start talking about it there more interested in making money and chipping people anyway!
Unless it's a very thorough test only obtainable by the very best tradesman it's all been done im afraid and would need some sort of marketing because what's the point in having a qualification if no one knows about it
The trade does need something like this but not something that gets handed out to every Tom dick and Harry who can skim a wall who knows it could be the next best thing if done properly but if not don't waste you're money
Some good points in there , they defo not handed out to any tom dick and Harry though, I don't know of any exact numbers tbh but many applications have failed to get on the scheme.To any site spreads the scheme probably ain't going to appeal to much but for domestic dons it good to have leads passed on to having most of the donkey work done over the phone by the people who take the calls for jobs at rmfy office, also the inclusion of new products that do appeal to some home owners and some plasterers I think is good about it.
Without blabbing on about the newer products to much I think in say the next year or so years they could be a whole new market in itself , bg in past may not of been bothered what goes on in domestic market but with the scheme and the newer products aimed at home owner is a good start at it IMO.
Who knows how it will all end up , only time will tell suppose.

@Danny i think u need to set a Poll up who's applied for the scheme n who's on Cus @theplasterman aint keeping count on here
Lol I can't work out who is on off here as most have code names to disguise there real identity.... Talking of which anyone from Inverness in Scotland on here ?

Don't worry though @hstoke I'm slowly working it out ... Bartholomew

Last edited by a moderator:
You had anything from it @Fatarm ?
zip-lips.jpg

Lol I can't work out who is on off here as most have code names to disguise there real identity.... Talking of which anyone from Inverness in Scotland on here ?

Don't worry though @hstoke I'm slowly working it out ... Bartholomew

I wonder what'll happen to Scottish members of the British Gypsum scheme if Jimmy Crankie gets her way?

Some good points in there , they defo not handed out to any tom dick and Harry though, I don't know of any exact numbers tbh but many applications have failed to get on the scheme.To any site spreads the scheme probably ain't going to appeal to much but for domestic dons it good to have leads passed on to having most of the donkey work done over the phone by the people who take the calls for jobs at rmfy office, also the inclusion of new products that do appeal to some home owners and some plasterers I think is good about it.
Without blabbing on about the newer products to much I think in say the next year or so years they could be a whole new market in itself , bg in past may not of been bothered what goes on in domestic market but with the scheme and the newer products aimed at home owner is a good start at it IMO.
Who knows how it will all end up , only time will tell suppose.

Not the case, a lad in my town who is notoriously shi7e has been visited and is on the scheme !!! Although a good lad his work is some of the messiest ive seen in a long time and is talked about by other trades all the time that follow him around.

He showed me a nice British gypsum folder that he takes with him to quote and basically drops in to his quoting that hes an approved contractor so to speak, also gets recommendations through off BG.

If thats the benchmark then the scheme is wank.

Not the case, a lad in my town who is notoriously shi7e has been visited and is on the scheme !!! Although a good lad his work is some of the messiest ive seen in a long time and is talked about by other trades all the time that follow him around.

He showed me a nice British gypsum folder that he takes with him to quote and basically drops in to his quoting that hes an approved contractor so to speak, also gets recommendations through off BG.

His work may be rough, but there's no call to drop the poor sod in it like that. @theplasterman is probably somewhere near that blokes house adjusting for windage as I type.

O dear. It's started already. I've not had one job yet and the reputation is being tarnished. Shame really. Could have been good.

Lol do you work with him ?

O dear. It's started already. I've not had one job yet and the reputation is being tarnished. Shame really. Could have been good.
Wouldn't be to worried what people might say , I ain't , put it like this, let's say plasterers ltd did a job and it was a s**t hole mess and customer phoned back to complain all he would have to do is not answer his phone and do nothing to rectify it if that's what he wanted to do..
Now if plasterers ltd was on scheme customer wasn't happy they would phone RMFY hq and it would get sorted or they would be off and the job would still get sorted by another scheme plasterer.
There is a code of conduct and a working standard to work to.

:bananahappy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave the dick who checks your van and clothes didn't do his job properly if he let plasterers ltd on the scheme being rough c**ts.

I don't know what the big deal is about this scheme if you can get a bit of work out of it what's the problem.

Lol do you work with him ?
I have done in the past mate once or twice, hes more of a pal than someone i work with, I guess fair play to him if it gets him work, I was just shocked that he was on the scheme as hes filthy lol, I think if BG are going to have a scheme then the bar needs to be set really high.

Tbh I think BG are gonna have to baby step through it as much as anyone else is, brave move being the point of contact with customers and offering guarantees etc.

They do need to market the products more/better cos I still cant figure out what Purefinish is (formaldehyde in the air wtf??) but the stuff like Magnetic is a winner, if a bit expensive and hard to get.

Agree with Clemo tho that if it gets you a bit of extra work then happy days, if they are letting a bunch of rough c*nts on then its worth nothing tho lol

Agree with the sentiment that if it gets you a bit of work what's the issue, but also think if they are letting rough cnuts in the whole thing will fall apart, so my questions are as follows:-

1 what will happen if you receive a complaint from a customer

2 as I can't be bothered looking how much is this membership costing

3 will there be any increases in this cost on going, IE will you start charging for jobs similar to all the other useless sites around ( rated ppl etc)

4 will there be any other benefits. For example when new products are released will members get preferential access to these for testing and rating etc

5 any chance of a bag of magnetic free of charge for my nieces bedroom, she says she will love you forever if she can have a magnetic wall

Thanks for reading .

Agree with the sentiment that if it gets you a bit of work what's the issue, but also think if they are letting rough cnuts in the whole thing will fall apart, so my questions are as follows:-

1 what will happen if you receive a complaint from a customer

2 as I can't be bothered looking how much is this membership costing

3 will there be any increases in this cost on going, IE will you start charging for jobs similar to all the other useless sites around ( rated ppl etc)

4 will there be any other benefits. For example when new products are released will members get preferential access to these for testing and rating etc

5 any chance of a bag of magnetic free of charge for my nieces bedroom, she says she will love you forever if she can have a magnetic wall

Thanks for reading .
I've got the Wigan area covered so piss off ;):LOL:

I wonder what'll happen to Scottish members of the British Gypsum scheme if Jimmy Crankie gets her way?
We'll make our own plaster, a unifinish that trowels up lovely and put it in bags that don't rip. Call it jockfinish

Tbh I think BG are gonna have to baby step through it as much as anyone else is, brave move being the point of contact with customers and offering guarantees etc.

They do need to market the products more/better cos I still cant figure out what Purefinish is (formaldehyde in the air wtf??) but the stuff like Magnetic is a winner, if a bit expensive and hard to get.

Agree with Clemo tho that if it gets you a bit of extra work then happy days, if they are letting a bunch of rough c*nts on then its worth nothing tho lol

How are they going to be point of contact with customers when they do not know or care who they are, do you seriously think a customer walks past a bag of finish and thinks ok I need a plasterer let me contact the manufacturer to find one ? It's a non starter, all this is is trying to get a slice of the recommended website market.

How are they going to be point of contact with customers when they do not know or care who they are, do you seriously think a customer walks past a bag of finish and thinks ok I need a plasterer let me contact the manufacturer to find one ? It's a non starter, all this is is trying to get a slice of the recommended website market.

It looks like tbh, but as an major manufacturer they can always add something and change the game.

I personally think its just another money spinner for BG, If ive read it right then after the first 100 folk registered it will cost £250 per year, if the standard was high which it isn't as ive seen whats passed the assessment then it would set aside the good from the bad.
It strikes me as similar to the likes of rated or FMB where the trades are sold as top quality because their references have been checked, when in fact they don't check anything, they take your money and give you a sticker for the van.
On the website they portray those on the scheme as more elite as they've been assessed and are a certified plasterer, where in fact BG don't cover all aspects of the trade, they'll take their £250 have a look at someones work good or bad and put them on a list.

Biggest bunch of penny pinchers going.