can anyone recommend a EWI for a stone house?

Members online

aj1soad

been having issues with damp coming in through the back of the house for years now even after repointing. ive decided im going to put some EWI. the front and gable end has a pebble dash fnish already, similar colour to my neighbours. my neighbours have already had the back of their house done with 60MM WEBER.THERM PHS under a grant but thats no longer available.

Ill be looking at doing most of the work myself and getting someone in to the the dash finish. imalready in the middle of building up levels with a scratch coat. i know the obvious choice would be to go with weber but most building suppliers around here wont even give me a price because im not a registered installer. can anyone recommend a EWI that i could use?

couple of things i cant get my head around is where the new EWI will meet the pebble dash at the gable end. how will i get a finish there? is it just a matter of putting a corner bead agains the one on the gable end and dashing it, or is it better to overlap it to stop it from cracking? also i need to work out what type of oversills i need. im planning on putting the oversill underneath the plastic sill. From under the sill to the face of the stone work its approx 160mm, so ill need it to be 160mm + EWI thickness + a bit to stick out.
IMG_20190818_164216.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200104_123349.jpg
    IMG_20200104_123349.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 480
  • insulation.png
    insulation.png
    25 KB · Views: 463
ill be doing the work myself. if i used weber then i wouldnt need a pull out test, if it wasnt suitable then it would never have been used next door. had a look on wemico but the longest sill i can find is 130mm and i need at least 250mm

Did you rake out and repoint with NHL lime ?

On soft stone we recommend application of a breathable water repellent

The biggest problem you have with a stone house you need breathability and a polystyrene insulation system will not allow breathability
There are other products that will do the job better ,such as fibre board insulation board with the adhesive and render being lime based gives you breathability...I'm afraid these will be more expensive though..

There has to be a reason for the damp... I would not render over stone.... much prefer stone or brick finish....

Is that a Weber system next door ?
And just looking close at the stone behind the downpipe from top to bottom have you checked the join at the gutter looks like that’s your problem

get a credited installer.
you will need building regs and suitable fire protection as its 3 floors.
also as stone a pull out test for insulation anchors
overcills get from .wemico. powdercoated ali
f**k dan him let him do it himself and learn the hard way, I get lots of this my way
“mate if I do the boarding and the mesh will you texture it and when it looks wank I can blame you?”
“Will I balls now f**k off and stop wasting my time”
:muyenojado:
Revs me the f**k up

f**k dan him let him do it himself and learn the hard way, I get lots of this my way
“mate if I do the boarding and the mesh will you texture it and when it looks wank I can blame you?”
“Will I balls now f**k off and stop wasting my time”
:muyenojado:
Revs me the f**k up
lol had a few of them. just say nah on them

I would address the cause of the damp first and then consider iwi.

But if it needs to be ewi how about a solid insulated render system like Bauwer?

Looks like it's been pointed with sand/cement...should have been a pure lime mortar mix (no cement) no trickle vents on the windows...solid wall...probably crap ventilation...probably a bad condensation problem.