British Gypsum Product Trial

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
used to be carlite browning 50 kilo bags they was as big as me when I was 15 lol walking around like a tortoise, loved them days when I was fit:RpS_biggrin:

I mixed 40 of those bags in one day for two spreads in a tin bath and followed behind devil floated for them too. Skimmed the next day. If they made floor screed as light and fluffy as browning then I would do more screeding!

I mixed 40 of those bags in one day for two spreads in a tin bath and followed behind devil floated for them too. Skimmed the next day. If they made floor screed as light and fluffy as browning then I would do more screeding!
I mixed on a few spreads no stopping for rubbing up, most I mixed in a week was 250/270 bags of backing all skimmed up, there was 1 apprentice two spreads , joiners had put foot and header strings across every wall a bag went no were, I had to mix 2 bags a time to keep up tin bath and drag ,f##k me im tired thinking about it :-0

It was always mixed up two bags at a time and I deffo wouldn't have wanted to skim it the next day on a regular basis. It did skim up nicely Carlite Finish on the same day though.
I really can't think why BG would be coming up with another Browning-like product, now a Hardwall like product that could be skimmed a few days later without fierce suction, that I'd use.

It would be the perfect backing coat and I doubt you'd be using sand cement anymore andy

It was always mixed up two bags at a time and I deffo wouldn't have wanted to skim it the next day on a regular basis. It did skim up nicely Carlite Finish on the same day though.
I really can't think why BG would be coming up with another Browning-like product, now a Hardwall like product that could be skimmed a few days later without fierce suction, that I'd use.

Thistle Dri coat is nice to use and then skim a few days after but is really dusty to mix.

These lightweight bagged plasters main advantage over sand and cement was that you could skim them the same day, if you want to leave it a few days go onto sand and cement, its like we are trying to reverse what we wanted changing 40 years ago. Yeh they are lighter but more expensive which was evened out by the fact you could get done in a day.

Cpi??? Or OCR???

One of the main advantages of D&D was its drying time but what about metre price compared to lets say hardwall or browning? off the top of my head i would say material cost wise its cheaper so what needs to happen is backings come down in price to make it cheaper than D&D, then the main contractors might revert back to a better way, which will also bring the art of plastering back to life. It would sort out a lot of issues with training coz people and house builders will want solid walls or will expect it done properly. :) yeh they will take a hit to start or maybe make more because there is no waste issue, which nowadays costs a massive percentage of producing and getting rid. Im sure gypsum must be running out or there is a man made type gysum added (something that is in my mind for some reason). They will then put the price of the gear up but it will be ok coz the trade will be more skilled coz less people can do it :)

Materials wise per m2 hardwall is cheaper than board and adhesive. Last job I worked it out on it was roughly £1 m2.

Yeah they need to stock hardwall in more places rather than browning, here in southport and a lot of the northwest know one stocks it!! Only crappy browning! If I want it I have to order it in or go to a B&Q warehouse In Preston..

why do we need browning anyway doesn't hardwall do everything and more than browning?

I have never used tough coat as they don't seem to stock it in my local merchants. Can't imagine much difference though.

Do you think it would fail if use on the suction background?

I guess when your on site you just use what your given. What would you use if you were supplying? Which ever you could get cheaper?

Used loads of browning and hard wall and tuff coat just depends on what the main contractor supplied. And I've only bin at it since 2002

Yeah they need to stock hardwall in more places rather than browning, here in southport and a lot of the northwest know one stocks it!! Only crappy browning! If I want it I have to order it in or go to a B&Q warehouse In Preston..

why do we need browning anyway doesn't hardwall do everything and more than browning?

Yes it does, brownings pointless and shite

Would you rather use hardwall over blockwork spunky?

Would you rather use hardwall over blockwork spunky?

I would any day of the week, I used hardwall for the first time 2 years ago and it stomps all over tuff coat and browning, only ever had tuff coat on site until 2 years ago..

Sick to death of builders getting bonding as a backing plaster the amount of times I've told them its not fit for purpose on most bricks is unreal!!

hardwall sets from the front doesn't it, so perfect for float and set, while bonding sets from the back..

hardwall is much better and easier to use than any other backing plaster I have used

Don't mind browning, used it a few weeks ago - our merchants don't usually stock it though, only seam to have bonding (had to get some in for us from another branch).
Not used hardwall, so can't comment though looking at the size of the bags you'd have to use more of it?

As 90% of the plastering I do is damp related I nearly always use sand and cement and find its bang on, on all backgrounds.

Don't mind browning, used it a few weeks ago - our merchants don't usually stock it though, only seam to have bonding (had to get some in for us from another branch).
Not used hardwall, so can't comment though looking at the size of the bags you'd have to use more of it?

Its as easy as bonding to spread can go on most backgrounds, the bag size is very much the same as browning volume wise..

3m2 coverage @ 11mm per bag

I only ever use tough coat as thats what my merchants stock. Cant imagine there being much difference between hardwall and tough coat though

I've not used or seen Browning in any local merchants for many years. I agree bubs Hardwall is "gummy" compared with Browning but is just to soft a wall finish IMO.

I only ever use tough coat as thats what my merchants stock. Cant imagine there being much difference between hardwall and tough coat though

From what I remember of tough coat was its a lot like browning as it was slide off your handboard whereas hardwall in my eyes is very similar to bonding and it won't slide of the handboard as easy

Nevermind Browning ,,,hardwall ,, toughcoat ! Etc.......
can we sort out the delicate bag issue ...:RpS_mad:.........

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.