Bending wood

• Thread starter Deleted member 29624
  • Start date

Members online

52 I retire, wife's teaching pension kicks in then and got a couple of rentals....going to buy a house in France with a carp lake, grow some veg and have some chickens and disappear from the world
hope it works out for u

And as a side note every builder woke up one day and decided to be a builder as it's not a trade...no nvq or anything, just a chap in a trade who decided to organise stuff

Which is of course complete and utter bollox, which shows just how far you have to go really. :endesacuerdo:

Which is of course complete and utter bollox, which shows just how far you have to go really. :endesacuerdo:
What general builder qualification do you have Larry....no dispute your qualified in lots of trades but what's your builder qualification....builder isn't a trade, general population think a brickie is a builder. If I'm wrong happy to hear it

What general builder qualification do you have Larry....no dispute your qualified in lots of trades but what's your builder qualification....builder isn't a trade, general population think a brickie is a builder. If I'm wrong happy to hear it

Fcuk me! Really?

See, there was a time before NVQs, before even the five minute course. Hard to believe I know, but people would serve an apprenticeship during which they would learn. They would also attend college to gain qualifications which were supplemental to the skills gained.

So the trade you claim not to exist, well I was apprenticed in it. A time served apprenticeship which lasted five years (seriously, five years not weeks) During that time, and over the years since I gained a range of qualifications, all city & guilds as opposed to NVQ or any other watered down nonsense.

It was always it's own trade, until like so many others every man and his dog decided that they could just say they were [insert name of trade]. So whilst you're honesty in proclaiming you have no knowledge of a trade existing, it's pretty worrying that it's also a trade you want/do claim to have.

So, I'd ask what's your experience? Given that it's a well accepted measure that to become competent at anything takes 10,000 hours (oddly tying up with a five year apprenticeship) that's where the acid test lies.

Exam based qualifications were introduced to allow a standardised test of trade knowledge. A really important distinction, knowledge not competence. Competence was test by practical measure.

All is not lost though as there are discussions afoot to bring things back to a better system. There's a discussion ongoing in the House of Lords about introducing a licensing system for builders as they have in other countries. Builder licensing.

Fcuk me! Really?

See, there was a time before NVQs, before even the five minute course. Hard to believe I know, but people would serve an apprenticeship during which they would learn. They would also attend college to gain qualifications which were supplemental to the skills gained.

So the trade you claim not to exist, well I was apprenticed in it. A time served apprenticeship which lasted five years (seriously, five years not weeks) During that time, and over the years since I gained a range of qualifications, all city & guilds as opposed to NVQ or any other watered down nonsense.

It was always it's own trade, until like so many others every man and his dog decided that they could just say they were [insert name of trade]. So whilst you're honesty in proclaiming you have no knowledge of a trade existing, it's pretty worrying that it's also a trade you want/do claim to have.

So, I'd ask what's your experience? Given that it's a well accepted measure that to become competent at anything takes 10,000 hours (oddly tying up with a five year apprenticeship) that's where the acid test lies.

Exam based qualifications were introduced to allow a standardised test of trade knowledge. A really important distinction, knowledge not competence. Competence was test by practical measure.

All is not lost though as there are discussions afoot to bring things back to a better system. There's a discussion ongoing in the House of Lords about introducing a licensing system for builders as they have in other countries. Builder licensing.
What's the name of your 5 year apprenticeship?

Lets get back a few years boys a builder was a person who contracted to do a job maybe a brickie but employed all trades to do the job. Not doing it all alone

Another shite thread where half of ya can't be arsed to ride the wife.
Or walk the dog.
At least god loves a trier.
....it won't fuucking budge.
Come on builders how the f**k do I shift over 100 years of soot ??
Every chemical known to man won't budge it.
I've even started to drink the brick acid.
15388577954513160285075054834317.jpg

Fcuk me! Really?

And after reading your post properly I don't want to argue but my test is purely in the job done, all jobs are through building control and structural engineer if building control require. The only litmus test to if a job is good is a smiling customer at the end and that's all that matters(along with a certificate that says work is safe)....as I've said I'm done proving myself on here, every man and his dog said I would fail at plastering and everyone wants failure this time also. To be honest I don't care, faint heart never f**k*d a pig....I thought you'd understand that better than most Larry after chats we had but apparently not. As long as I pay my mortgage and make my wife smile the rest is just noise.

And after reading your post properly I don't want to argue but my test is purely in the job done, all jobs are through building control and structural engineer if building control require. The only litmus test to if a job is good is a smiling customer at the end and that's all that matters(along with a certificate that says work is safe)....as I've said I'm done proving myself on here, every man and his dog said I would fail at plastering and everyone wants failure this time also. To be honest I don't care, faint heart never f**k*d a pig....I thought you'd understand that better than most Larry after chats we had but apparently not. As long as I pay my mortgage and make my wife smile the rest is just noise.

So how do I remove soot off this wall god damnit lol

Fcuk me! Really?

I f**k**g love you Larry!

Sand blast mate but not practiclal it
Another shite thread where half of ya can't be arsed to ride the wife.
Or walk the dog.
At least god loves a trier.
....it won't fuucking budge.
Come on builders how the f**k do I shift over 100 years of soot ??
Every chemical known to man won't budge it.
I've even started to drink the brick acid.
View attachment 27027
a

You don't have to prove yourself to me in anyway about anything.

However, when you start waving your ignorance around, and claiming that a trade which I served my time in doesn't exist then I can and will call you on your bullsh1t.

I'll have a laugh and banter with the best of them, but I'll be fcuked if I'll let you or anyone else p1ss on a hard earned trade I was apprenticed in.

If getting BC sign off is the extent of your ambitions then good for you, but don't for a second think that it guarantees a job is good, safe, right or acceptable. A statement to that effect appears on everything BC produce, along with a recommendation for site supervision. Which is their get out of jail card and puts the responsibility on the trade professional's involved and their experience.