Artex ceiling, Zombie mix, strategy advice please,

ballsdeep

Hi lads, if you could help me out guide me with my approach on some artex ceilings I'm doing at the mo. Done 3 last week got 3 more to do this week. Used the zombie mix for the 1st coat, flattened straight away with speed skim then 2cd coat straight away. They hung for an eternity, they been taking about 4.30 mins to set. I'm clearly doing something very wrong. I wba the ceilings, which I've now read is a waste of time as the pattern is your key + there has been no heating in the house. Loved the zombie 1st coat. Any tips please

Hi lads, if you could help me out guide me with my approach on some artex ceilings I'm doing at the mo. Done 3 last week got 3 more to do this week. Used the zombie mix for the 1st coat, flattened straight away with speed skim then 2cd coat straight away. They hung for an eternity, they been taking about 4.30 mins to set. I'm clearly doing something very wrong. I wba the ceilings, which I've now read is a waste of time as the pattern is your key + there has been no heating in the house. Loved the zombie 1st coat. Any tips please
You’re putting too much bonding in the mix.

Open door and window in the room , close all doors and windows in house except one downstairs , can assist with halogen to speed up areas of poor airflow
Someone call a doctor for @Cockney1 and quote #helpfullmeltdown

Thanks lads, I put 3 generous bucket trowels in per 1.5 bags of skim. The house has been freezing, s**t weather all round. It's probably as you said applying 2cd coat way to soon and combined with to much bonding. Found the zombie very helpfull for the first coat. 1 of the ceilings was pretty heavy and needed 3 coats but all have taken an eternity. open windows, should of realised that. Cheers lads

With your method those ceilings must be a right state

As above get a heater and rule the zombie mix with a speed skim or similar to take off excess and will help it to set quicker for final skim coat.

artex pattern is your key?

giphy (10).gif

Zombie, overboard is something I could never do to you. I'm now a loyalist to your post apocalyptic the dead will rise special mix. Going off all your advice and the combination of the freezing weather,ice box house. it was me thinking cause I'd speed skim the first coat I could apply 2cd coat immediately instead of allowing it to firm up and I learnt the hard way. Carl , the pattern is key as opposed to using a silicone agent, where I should of just pvad like I normally do. Cheers for your advice lads

Robbo, my friend, on 1 of the ceilings I couldn't agree with you enough. I was very unhappy with the look of it. Had that sea sick appearance, just wasn't good. Realy heavy artex, to much movement between coats (3). So I did the honourable thing and reskimmed it. I explained to the client and he said "he was sorry to hear that", I said you should be as well and he asked why and I said because I'm gonna charge you again for it. Any spread with an ounce of conscience would of done the same.

Robbo, my friend, on 1 of the ceilings I couldn't agree with you enough. I was very unhappy with the look of it. Had that sea sick appearance, just wasn't good. Realy heavy artex, to much movement between coats (3). So I did the honourable thing and reskimmed it. I explained to the client and he said "he was sorry to hear that", I said you should be as well and he asked why and I said because I'm gonna charge you again for it. Any spread with an ounce of conscience would of done the same.

Had the same thing last week with it just hanging. Was doing word search on my phone. After cleaning the van and staring out the window. Think they put too much retarder in it for spring coming

f**k artex not worth f**k**g stress.

But will say .

Never second coat artex until first coats pulled right in

Overboard when ever poss.

And @Vincey Uni was made for artex

Out of interest have you just started out? As I can't see how any plasterer would second coat on top of a sloping wet first coat or why anyone would need to do 3 coats

Only 3 coats on 1 of the patterns which was heavy snowfall/ Avalanche pattern which I should of bonded out. I'd invested in the speed skim and bought into the theory of applying next coat straight away. Yeah I should of let it pull in. Good to be aware of mistakes learning the hard way. That's why I reskimmed the one which looked like sea sick. I thank you lads.