Are we too CHEAP

Fact is life is never easy but for sure a lot of these younger guys the £120 a day crew I mean will look back on there life’s at 80 years old and think what a waste , the sinking physically sick feeling of a life wasted will kick in
It won’t be a nice time, but retirement should be
Do you think you have wasted your life so far @Vincey?

Fact is life is never easy but for sure a lot of these younger guys the £120 a day crew I mean will look back on there life’s at 80 years old and think what a waste , the sinking physically sick feeling of a life wasted will kick in
It won’t be a nice time, but retirement should be

Most people are so busy nose down 4rse up earning a living to take a minute to look around them and see the bigger picture.

They'd rather scoff at good advice and proven approaches than actually try them.

I live and work in the second largest City in the UK with literally thousands of small building firms in direct competition. It has some of the most deprived areas in the UK, and none of the top 10 affluent areas. One of the top 3 largest Asian populations, and the second largest volume of social housing of any local authority in the UK. Given that it's in the Midlands it cannot by definition be in the South.

So how can it be possible to earn a good living? By running my business to target those who are willing and able to pay proper rates for a proper job. It's just that simple.

Look at your business, find all the ways to lift it above the cheap and cheerful brigade. Go after the customers you want, market yourself, it's all perfectly possible to do. You don't even have to try anything new, just look at the companies getting the sort of work you want and copy them.

I notice that in all this there are lots of "you can't charge that here" along with "that wouldn't work in this area". I also notice that there isn't one "I tried doing it that way and it didn't work.".

Ultimately it makes no difference to me what anyone charges, or how they justify charging low or high prices. However saying that something can't be done without trying it is nonsense. I guarantee that there are companies within a few miles of every single member of this forum, irrespective of location, who are charging good rates. I also guarantee that there are 10 times that number in the same areas who won't try to change what they do but will rage at the clouds about how "it's alright for you/them because ...". I'm not having a go at anyone, simply pointing out that to say you can't earn good money in any area of the UK just isn't true. Five minutes on Google will show you that to be so.

If you want to earn a low basic wage then that's fine. If you want to earn more then you'll have to make it happen for yourself.

You 100% cant compare running a building firm with being a sole trader plasterer like 95% on here

You 100% cant compare running a building firm with being a sole trader plasterer like 95% on here

That's true, but it's not what I'm doing. I'm talking about running a business. It doesn't matter if that business is Plastering, building or selling canoes.

There are two types of business, low profit high volume and high profit low volume. Which type are you running? Which type do you want to run? Again, it doesn't make any difference what that business does.

Kebab shop = high volume low profit.

Niche restaurant = low volume high profit.

That's true, but it's not what I'm doing. I'm talking about running a business. It doesn't matter if that business is Plastering, building or selling canoes.

There are two types of business, low profit high volume and high profit low volume. Which type are you running? Which type do you want to run? Again, it doesn't make any difference what that business does.

How much are your canoes?

A sole trader plaster is not running a business they are a self employed contractor.

I recon theres probably 5 people on here max that actually run what I would define as a business.

And 95% on here talk absolute bollox and live off there postcode and not there skillset or ability but dont even realise there nothing special.

A sole trader plaster is not running a business they are a self employed contractor.

I recon theres probably 5 people on here max that actually run what I would define as a business.

And 95% on here talk absolute bollox and live off there postcode and not there skillset or ability but dont even realise there nothing special.

That's true for site lads, but if they're doing domestic and selling direct to the public they're running a business by any and every definition of the word.

Like I said before, if you've spent years learning to plaster but none learning how to run a business then you have less than half the skills you need to make a success of being a sole trader. Those are the people I'm aiming this at the ones doing OK who could be doing very nicely instead.

I can give you an example directly relating to rates in Wales.

I did a house up in Dolgellau that was essentially derelict. One of the jobs was a full rake out and repoint of the stone. I asked around and found a lad there who was recommended, so I spoke to him and got him round for a quote. Three storey end of terrace, rake out and repoint all labour and materials.

At this point I should say that I ask people for a price, I don't suggest a price, tell them a budget, haggle, try to get discounts or fcuk about with payments.

He said £6,000. Now I had £10k - £12k in my head as that's what I'd be looking at in Birmingham/Warwickshire for that work.

So he robbed himself, but still felt that he'd quoted properly. All he had to do to get more was ask for more, but he (like so many don't) didn't ask.

This is the house, front, back and gable inc materials for £6k?

View attachment 50784View attachment 50785View attachment 50786View attachment 50787
You're off your tits if you'd pay 12k for that

This attitude is the problem. Even if it’s a one man band you have to act and run like a business

This attitude is the problem. Even if it’s a one man band you have to act and run like a business

It's not an attitude it's a fact. No assets, no premises, no staff, dont earn money unless yourself work.

That is not a business it's a self employed contractor the difference is night & day.

I'm not saying people should charge peanuts I'm saying there not a business

It's not an attitude it's a fact. No assets, no premises, no staff, dont earn money unless yourself work.

That is not a business it's a self employed contractor the difference is night & day.

I'm not saying people should charge peanuts I'm saying there not a business
I didn’t say it is a business I said they should act and run as a business with the key being to make a profit which is in addition to the sole traders ‘wage’

Just ordered the new Makita Radio. So I’m effectively working for a few hundred today. Oh well.

You're off your tits if you'd pay 12k for that

Pay or charge, you work it out.

How many square metres can you rake out in a day? The before photo is there to see. Then how many square metres of stone can you point in a day? You'd need a labourer in addition to one skilled bloke at least. Then add on the scaffold, skip, materials plus your allowance for tools and your overheads.

I'd like to see how you work it out to be less than the £10k - £12k? Fancy showing your rough calculations?

we are currently charging £130 a day each plus materials to skim so we are doing 6 bags a day for £260 plus pva n beading so we are doing a sitting room for about £320 in the northeast is this too cheap as every job we quote we get yes we are 1 of the highest plastering companys in the northeast on check a trade but don't want to be underpriceing jobs at same time any advise on what you charge would be great thanks
Too cheap,I can here the birds singing cheap cheap cheap..we as spreads were charging this in the late 80s

Well I for one think you're very brave saying so on an open forum. I'm sure @Olican will be along shortly to offer some guidance, support and recommend a few places to meet like minded folk. (y)

My house Every second Tuesday, come in the back entrance, wipe your feet, bring a bottle either colour (KY or Vaseoline) if your driving please pull out gently as the passage is well worn

I would disagree with ur restaurant analogy

Not far off for location in my eyes but you should put it up a bit, if you have a good reputation, and people want you, theyl pay.

Mate unfortunately you don't understand the customer will see the value in your service when you explain the benefits and show them what to expect with the finish. The real value will be recognised when for example you turn up smartly dressed with Ipad showing previous work, taking the time to explain to the customer the full process, how they will be left with the perfect finish no filling or sanding required...everything will be protected and left spotless on completion...the professional written quotation etc etc I can think of maybe 20-30 ways I sell benefits when I do a quote. That is 20 more than someone who turns up in a tracksuit saying I'll do it for £200 for cash.

If I don't get the job it's because they don't see the benefits not because of the cost.

I don't totally agree with that, most of it yes but not all, 9 out of 10 of my jobs come from recommendation, if I turned up in trackies and a clapped out van, or a suit and range rover, it would make no difference as they know I can do what they want, alot of hustlers get dressed up, have fake I'd badges etc to make you think they're the real deal, you fall for it, bam your moneys gone.

Yes you’re r too cheap. Charge double that easily
we are currently charging £130 a day each plus materials to skim so we are doing 6 bags a day for £260 plus pva n beading so we are doing a sitting room for about £320 in the northeast is this too cheap as every job we quote we get yes we are 1 of the highest plastering companys in the northeast on check a trade but don't want to be underpriceing jobs at same time any advise on what you charge would be great thanks
3 bags is a steady day for 130 think your winning

People need to stick to their guns and put the prices up for plastering. This is hard graft, I think a lot of it is people in too much competition with how much they can do a day which drives all the prices down. 6 bags a day on your own sounds or any sort of money sounds from and your going to wear your body out in no time. This is an art not a race. I've been domestic plastering for 10 years earnt good money and I've never done 6 bags in a day in my life . If I do 4 bags in a day I'm stressing