Are we too CHEAP

Members online

No members online now.
What was that 75m2 maximum ?(maybe less)
Devide by 6000 is. £80.00 M2

After reading your further post ..that Inc scaffolding

Scaffold, hack out, skip, clean down, repoint.

Hacking off that river grit is never an easy job, then there's the repointing a rubble fill wall which often need dubbing out first in some areas.

Six grand probably isn't far off the mark for brickwork on a place that size/shape. You'd barely make wages on Dolorite like that though.

It's not an attitude it's a fact. No assets, no premises, no staff, dont earn money unless yourself work.

That is not a business it's a self employed contractor the difference is night & day.

I'm not saying people should charge peanuts I'm saying there not a business
Agreed, but businesses set up as ltd corp have NO liability, and can fold tomorrow, thus the mindset of a self employed tradesman is more business geared than a "company" in that if he does not work then the roof over his families head gets taken away.
Most companies are tax dodging affairs geared up, so they can walk away from it all, and not loose a thing

Job I was on in Bath, builders turned up in a brand new Mercedes convertible everyday...tools in the back leather seats...couldn't believe my eyes..coming to work in a 40K Merc :rolleyes:
I used to know a plastering contractor that had a brand new Jag or Daimler every three years. No other vehicle. Old steel waterbutt would be transported on the bag seat, tools, hop-ups etc. in the boot.

My old man had a Irish spread Called Brendan that use to work with him , on s&c he wore sandals, the Jesus creeper type ,
Your old man probably watched him work ; Apple not falling far from tree scenario”

my uncle had two West Indians plastering for him , unusually they were slow and lazy , he turned up one day and he got his labourer to fill out a 8x4 sheet with sand /cement, he came out and went plastering in his Y fronts and wellingtons, the West Indians f**k*d off saying “paddy man is mad “

Your old man probably watched him work ; Apple not falling far from tree scenario”

my uncle had two West Indians plastering for him , unusually they were slow and lazy , he turned up one day and he got his labourer to fill out a 8x4 sheet with sand /cement, he came out and went plastering in his Y fronts and wellingtons, the West Indians f**k*d off saying “paddy man is mad “
U ain’t wrong , y graft if u can get the paddy’s to do it , I learnt a lot off my old man,as you well know :coffe:

I can give you an example directly relating to rates in Wales.

I did a house up in Dolgellau that was essentially derelict. One of the jobs was a full rake out and repoint of the stone. I asked around and found a lad there who was recommended, so I spoke to him and got him round for a quote. Three storey end of terrace, rake out and repoint all labour and materials.

At this point I should say that I ask people for a price, I don't suggest a price, tell them a budget, haggle, try to get discounts or fcuk about with payments.

He said £6,000. Now I had £10k - £12k in my head as that's what I'd be looking at in Birmingham/Warwickshire for that work.

So he robbed himself, but still felt that he'd quoted properly. All he had to do to get more was ask for more, but he (like so many don't) didn't ask.

This is the house, front, back and gable inc materials for £6k?

View attachment 50784View attachment 50785View attachment 50786View attachment 50787
Exactly right Imago. you will always get what you ask for when pricing a job but you will 100% never get what you do not ask for.

People need to stick to their guns and put the prices up for plastering. This is hard graft, I think a lot of it is people in too much competition with how much they can do a day which drives all the prices down. 6 bags a day on your own sounds or any sort of money sounds from and your going to wear your body out in no time. This is an art not a race. I've been domestic plastering for 10 years earnt good money and I've never done 6 bags in a day in my life . If I do 4 bags in a day I'm stressing
If it's art it is more akin to a street trader in Blackpool selling wall posters.

People out there are quite happy eating tesco home brand beans and theres people out there who like to eat m&s beans..take that as you will but aim for them people
I’ll make sure that’s my first question at my next quote. “Before we get started, I hope you don’t mind me asking but, what beans do you eat?”

People out there are quite happy eating tesco home brand beans and theres people out there who like to eat m&s beans..take that as you will but aim for them people
d9a0ca5aff7a5cfb45ddc19250e1f37d8e6f617d.jpg

People need to stick to their guns and put the prices up for plastering. This is hard graft, I think a lot of it is people in too much competition with how much they can do a day which drives all the prices down. 6 bags a day on your own sounds or any sort of money sounds from and your going to wear your body out in no time. This is an art not a race. I've been domestic plastering for 10 years earnt good money and I've never done 6 bags in a day in my life . If I do 4 bags in a day I'm stressing

Our game is one of the most, if not the most skilled out there , excusing medical professions and professional armies .
And yet we all undervalue ourselves, i look back at what i have done in the past for people and it makes my teeth itch at how cheap i have done it, but it got my name out there at the time.
Now i charge good money for plastering and big money for screeding, if the customer or builder dont like it then f**k them , go elsewhere.
we all have a value !!!

I worked with a tiler who in summer would get 4 weeks from a t shirt front then back then turn it inside out and start again dirty bazturd smelt like a camels fanny
I know a painter who does that with his pants. He is always crapping in plastic bags too.,
Buy I wouldn’t know what a camel’s Fanny smells like

we are currently charging £130 a day each plus materials to skim so we are doing 6 bags a day for £260 plus pva n beading so we are doing a sitting room for about £320 in the northeast is this too cheap as every job we quote we get yes we are 1 of the highest plastering companys in the northeast on check a trade but don't want to be underpriceing jobs at same time any advise on what you charge would be great thanks

Seeing these prices was like going back in a time warp to 1995...:risas:

I work 2 days a week.i have my diary booked up 4 nxt 3 months.in them 2 days il earn what some lads earn in 6 days,why you ask? Is because I dont entertain people who buy cheap beans,someone rings me up I tell them to send me there address,google tells me if it's a rough area or not.work smart not hard

I work 2 days a week.i have my diary booked up 4 nxt 3 months.in them 2 days il earn what some lads earn in 6 days,why you ask? Is because I dont entertain people who buy cheap beans,someone rings me up I tell them to send me there address,google tells me if it's a rough area or not.work smart not hard
I know people who are minted who buy cheap beans