Apprentice..Any good.

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Day rates a false economy with domestic clients.
I could say 200 a day. Some one else says 150 and client thinks there saving 50 quid but if I do something in 2 days that the other one takes 3 then who's the better value?
Never understood it how people judge by what you charge.
All down to price again.
Kitchy I get your point but if Young hulk lodan can charge that and he does a good job that clients happy with then that's better than being a ruff c**t and getting it isn't it.
Experience is only half of it. Plenty of blokes charging that with loads of experience but are Rubbish at there job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to show I'm not leaving rough c**t work in people's houses

DSCN1588.JPG
DSCN1591.JPG
DSCN1593.JPG
DSCN1601.JPG
DSCN1602.JPG
DSCN1618.JPG
DSCN1620.JPG
DSCN1621.JPG
DSCN1622.JPG

you can dislike me if you want I'm just trying to earn a crust for me and my family.
There was an emoji on the end of my quote it just didn't show....was just a joke. Fair play if your charging the right money and doing the right quality. If you can paint it, hang the doors and fit the flooring as well even better.

Im far to fat and lazy to be arsed with doing extra trades but im not knocking people who do

There was an emoji on the end of my quote it just didn't show....was just a joke. Fair play if your charging the right money and doing the right quality. If you can paint it, hang the doors and fit the flooring as well even better.

Im far to fat and lazy to be arsed with doing extra trades but im not knocking people who do
no probs mate...sorry i got the wrong end of the stick....that's the problem with these forums sometimes...you miss the humor in people posts(y)

Day rates a false economy with domestic clients.
I could say 200 a day. Some one else says 150 and client thinks there saving 50 quid but if I do something in 2 days that the other one takes 3 then who's the better value?
Never understood it how people judge by what you charge.
All down to price again.
Kitchy I get your point but if Young hulk lodan can charge that and he does a good job that clients happy with then that's better than being a ruff c**t and getting it isn't it.
Experience is only half of it. Plenty of blokes charging that with loads of experience but are Rubbish at there job.

That's a problem I've been ranting about for years. The public must be convinced we all put the same amount on and at the same quality. I also have the same problem with small builders. Someone else comes in £10 a day cheaper and they give them a go but they take twice as long to do the same job. Tossers!

@plasterman put them pics up other day saying was his lol..ye fair play like ive said not arsed anymore not worth ranting end of day if ur leaving a gud job fair enough..i know lads who have been doing it 10 years plus and there dog rough

Quality and price is a never ending argument. It's all subjective which could never ever be settled on the Internet.

@theplasterman. I do good joob for yoo! Yoou pay me goood and I go too shoop for you too boss. Me goood worker! I neeed sent money home to my childer on West coast. I can do apprentice work fary good, please can I start! I will stay loong time with yoou and not fuc off and leave yoou in sh1t. Me yoou can be goood friends too and yoou help me feed my family. Wee like UK people's. :birras:

Last edited:
@theplasterman. I do good joob for yoo! Yoou pay me goood and I go too shoop for you too boss. Me goood worker! I neeed sent money home to my childer on West coast. I can do apprentice work fary good, please can I start! I will stay loong time with yoou and not fuc off and leave yoou in sh1t. Me yoou can be goood friends too and yoou help me feed my family. Wee like UK people's. :birras:
:risas::risas:

Having worked in a few college's I can assure you that a few of the lads are good, don't get me wrong a lot are a waste off space as well. My advice to anybody who is looking for an apprentice would be to go and spend sometime in the college, talk to the learners and watch them working. Probably the best time to do this would be the end of September or early October because you will have more to choose from.

Don't give up on all the next generation, some of them are good in fact some very good it's just that they are in the minority of the ones that end up going to college. Spend the time to look for the right person for you, it's a cost but it can also be an investment.
Thanks for the advice my cousin took your advice onboard and will do just that..
Not given up on next generation tbh we'd like to get the right ones as you say and give back now.
Hopefully

Lodan, did they pay you extra for plastering side of their arch or did you throw that in as a freebie ;) lol.
:numberone: yeah fair play I had use my leaf trowel to get a bit of "excess" off before I painted.

Only kidding ya skipper ;) lol

You've not been on here long enough to know this argument has been going for years.

It was called banter kidney bean!
Could you not tell by my post I was taking the mick!?
I think I've been on here long enough to know it's all bullshit and gets people's knickers in a twist.

Thanks for the advice my cousin took your advice onboard and will do just that..
Not given up on next generation tbh we'd like to get the right ones as you say and give back now.
Hopefully
Lets see If ur still saying that after uve had a few of them and put time and money into them then there just jack on you

Lets see If ur still saying that after uve had a few of them and put time and money into them then there just jack on you
I know what you saying and it might be a bit of a mission but maybe he can get lucky Rossi,owls and bobby have all said they found a way though .
I not got a clue how it will end up.

God why the heck is this so hard
Lol

Little bastards there are! Ive found a lad on here think we are guna give it 1 more go if same happens with him that will b it

That's a problem I've been ranting about for years. The public must be convinced we all put the same amount on and at the same quality. I also have the same problem with small builders. Someone else comes in £10 a day cheaper and they give them a go but they take twice as long to do the same job. Tossers!
The general public are idiots in my game I've had my price turned down many times and the customer go's with some 20 quid a meter c**t from the local paper and guess what ......... they got dog s**t jobs they think tiling is tiling I'm afraid not Mr and Mrs fuckface

The general public are idiots in my game I've had my price turned down many times and the customer go's with some 20 quid a meter c**t from the local paper and guess what ......... they got dog s**t jobs they think tiling is tiling I'm afraid not Mr and Mrs fuckface

A one eyed thalidomide with a masterbation problem would make £20 a metre pay

If they were following my plastering [emoji12][emoji51]

A one eyed thalidomide with a masterbation problem would make £20 a metre pay

If they were following my plastering [emoji12][emoji51]

Tilings on par skill set wise with painting and decorating big k........

I think a simple fact now is people expect to much to soon and aren't willing to start at the bottom thinking they are above themselves.
Also I've dealt with first hand 2 people who've done the b*****d courses who could barely lay on, didn't have the first clue about prep or general labour and thought they were worth more than £50 a day.
People don't see experience as a incentive no more and aren't willing to graft short term to benefit long term!
My generation and the next are now full of dope smoking dick heads who think there Barry big cheeses.?

Mate i think many of us on here started lower than the bottom and still stuck with it me personally didn't touch a trowel for around 18 months as I was told you have to get the labouring right before you can start to learn to plaster then it was cupboards then under stairs before finally going in on weekends to do full walls ect plus I learnt the whole package of plastering float and set rendering boarding ect and that's what a lot don't do now they do a few bits of skimming on a two week course and think they are now full qualified plasterers cos the certificate says they are,I'm still learning to this day even after 16 years of being in the game I don't knock people who want to get into the game but it's a trade that takes time to learn and it's a easy trade that can either look really good or real dog shite I'm purely a plasterer as it's all I've known but we now up against multi trades and the decent builders who get the right trades in are far and few between

Mate i think many of us on here started lower than the bottom and still stuck with it me personally didn't touch a trowel for around 18 months as I was told you have to get the labouring right before you can start to learn to plaster then it was cupboards then under stairs before finally going in on weekends to do full walls ect plus I learnt the whole package of plastering float and set rendering boarding ect and that's what a lot don't do now they do a few bits of skimming on a two week course and think they are now full qualified plasterers cos the certificate says they are,I'm still learning to this day even after 16 years of being in the game I don't knock people who want to get into the game but it's a trade that takes time to learn and it's a easy trade that can either look really good or real dog shite I'm purely a plasterer as it's all I've known but we now up against multi trades and the decent builders who get the right trades in are far and few between
That is exactly what my cousin wants

That is exactly what my cousin wants
Shame he ain't in London I know a few big firms that would probably give him a start one big contractor I know I still speak to and he always looking for young lads to start but don't think pay is great but I started on 15 a day when it went up to 25 I thought I was the bees knees hahah I'm only on 30 a day now :numberone:

I appreciate your view on multi trades, but in domestic people prefer 1 firm to run the show. Skimming is piss easy, I jealous of people who can make a living having a mixer a hawk and a few trowels and buckets drive around in a car and got enough on to earn a decent money throwing s**t on the wall. that's a simple way of life. I always raise an eyebrow when people say I only do plastering and they refuse to knock up a studwall or board or hack off. These days people look for contractors to take on a project, people unorganised and have little time to get separate trades in and to project manage a refurb. I rarely get to do the odd room only it's either a full rewire or full refurb or conversion. I wish I can get away with one trade, would be great for my pocket, would spend less on stupid tools that's for sure.
Why does it take 18 months to learn how to knock up, sheet up, bead up, scrim up, clean up?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

When you knock up for 3 plasterers on a price is there really time to show someone? I will hack off walls and build a wall in metal stud no problem I don't see your point of trying to dig that comment out I know I'm better at plastering than the multi trades I've come across FACT I think a builder would run a job correctly and get trades in to do proper jobs to a high standard,a multi trade is basically a bloke having a go at stuff he knows little about and is winging it that only my opinion of the ones I've come across,remember when I started there wasn't a thing as a multi trade and everyone done the trade they knew or was learning my apprenticeship was 3 years long now you can do one in 6 weeks do me a favour

When you knock up for 3 plasterers on a price is there really time to show someone? I will hack off walls and build a wall in metal stud no problem I don't see your point of trying to dig that comment out I know I'm better at plastering than the multi trades I've come across FACT I think a builder would run a job correctly and get trades in to do proper jobs to a high standard,a multi trade is basically a bloke having a go at stuff he knows little about and is winging it that only my opinion of the ones I've come across,remember when I started there wasn't a thing as a multi trade and everyone done the trade they knew or was learning my apprenticeship was 3 years long now you can do one in 6 weeks do me a favour
Why would I do you a favour? Then you served your time at the wrong place if they can't show you anything, basically they used you for cheap labour. They take advantage on your good nature.
I'm saying I know plasterers that done their time somehow, they can't board, haven't got a clue how to bead up or be clean and tidy, they also refuse to hack off or build a stud wall. So how come they "better" than multi trades?

Why would I do you a favour? Then you served your time at the wrong place if they can't show you anything, basically they used you for cheap labour. They take advantage on your good nature.
I'm saying I know plasterers that done their time somehow, they can't board, haven't got a clue how to bead up or be clean and tidy, they also refuse to hack off or build a stud wall. So how come they "better" than multi trades?

I'm referring to myself and what I've come across this is just my opinion to learn all aspects of plastering like I did takes a lot longer than 18months and when your in a gang it's hard to break away from doing what needs to be done before you can even think of picking up a trowel personally I think I did learn the right way and was shown correctly and maybe it's a old school way of teaching but I stuck at it and would like to think I'm a decent spread,as for a plasterers that won't hack off or build a wall I think maybe your the one who has worked with the wrong people not me cos the ones I know would

I'm referring to myself and what I've come across this is just my opinion to learn all aspects of plastering like I did takes a lot longer than 18months and when your in a gang it's hard to break away from doing what needs to be done before you can even think of picking up a trowel personally I think I did learn the right way and was shown correctly and maybe it's a old school way of teaching but I stuck at it and would like to think I'm a decent spread,as for a plasterers that won't hack off or build a wall I think maybe your the one who has worked with the wrong people not me cos the ones I know would
Yes, but don't you think if they given you a day per week to show some stuff you would've picked it up quicker, they could've turned more work out if you can pitch in.
I do have bad experience every now and then, most times it's something to do with attitude.
I know all sorts of trades some good some not so good. Some keen some not so keen, it is just what it is. I'm sure you top notch I never questioned that pal, but like skimming you can pick it up in a day, you either got it in you or you haven't, that's how I see it. It's not rocket science. Hate it when people trying to make out their trade is like you have to be like f**k**g gifted and can't be just picked up and learned along the way, that's like proper plumbers and electricians s**t talk mate. This trade is divided anyway, some only does rendering or skimming or just dryline, etc.
Anyway you think whatever you want to think about multi trades people you entitled to your opinion.

Yes, but don't you think if they given you a day per week to show some stuff you would've picked it up quicker, they could've turned more work out if you can pitch in.
I do have bad experience every now and then, most times it's something to do with attitude.
I know all sorts of trades some good some not so good. Some keen some not so keen, it is just what it is. I'm sure you top notch I never questioned that pal, but like skimming you can pick it up in a day, you either got it in you or you haven't, that's how I see it. It's not rocket science. Hate it when people trying to make out their trade is like you have to be like f**k**g gifted and can't be just picked up and learned along the way, that's like proper plumbers and electricians s**t talk mate. This trade is divided anyway, some only does rendering or skimming or just dryline, etc.
Anyway you think whatever you want to think about multi trades people you entitled to your opinion.

And that was my point it's only what I come across in my time and what I have witnessed if do come across a good multi trade I would also praise them I speak as I find and will say like I always recommend a good trade to someone if I see they good it's the way it works

Thinking about this for a few days (I must be a bit of a weirdo)
@zolco it may be easy to pick up skimming quite quickly but come on it got to be a few years before you can class yourself as good at it, has it not ?
You can't just say anyone can just pick it up
Blooming hecker's we are turning ourselves into the scum of the trade here.
Where has the pride gone in plaster world .
I only have time to do plastering.
That's all I do
That's all I want to do.

Thinking about this for a few days (I must be a bit of a weirdo)
@zolco it may be easy to pick up skimming quite quickly but come on it got to be a few years before you can class yourself as good at it, has it not ?
You can't just say anyone can just pick it up
Blooming hecker's we are turning ourselves into the scum of the trade here.
Where has the pride gone in plaster world .
I only have time to do plastering.
That's all I do
That's all I want to do.
Don't wanna kiss Arse but that's exactly what I think there is more to being a plasterer than just skimming and as we have seen photos of people's work on here that profess to be plasterers by irate customers I would say it's pretty easy to mess up as well as get right I haven't got every tool to do every trade nor do I want to invest in them as my skill set is plastering

Status
Not open for further replies.