Apprentice..Any good.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincey

Private Member
My cousin is based in Leicester and talking about getting an apprentice today.16,17,18 year olds.
I sent him a couple of links to threads off here which hasn't made him think he will have any luck finding one but I want to know besides Rossi is there any spreads on here that can say in last so many years they have had one and it worked out to be a good thing ?

Thanks Vince

over the past 12 months its a big fat No. But im using a diiferent factory( college) now so ill see what it churns out. The laws of averages state either the haystack gets smaller of the needle gets bigger

Check the work placement places for school leavers, they pay wages for first six weeks or so and you can then decide if they are worth taking on or not

had a couple with a plastering diploma in the last year or two ,been and gone third one starts next week, i do not think its a fact of what they think they have learnt but more of a mind set! lets face it being a labourer now is a piece of piss no hods ,small bags to carry electric whisks and so on
but like arti says law of averages ,,always has been always will be

Having worked in a few college's I can assure you that a few of the lads are good, don't get me wrong a lot are a waste off space as well. My advice to anybody who is looking for an apprentice would be to go and spend sometime in the college, talk to the learners and watch them working. Probably the best time to do this would be the end of September or early October because you will have more to choose from.

Don't give up on all the next generation, some of them are good in fact some very good it's just that they are in the minority of the ones that end up going to college. Spend the time to look for the right person for you, it's a cost but it can also be an investment.

My cousin is based in Leicester and talking about getting an apprentice today.16,17,18 year olds.
I sent him a couple of links to threads off here which hasn't made him think he will have any luck finding one but I want to know besides Rossi is there any spreads on here that can say in last so many years they have had one and it worked out to be a good thing ?

Thanks Vince
Had 3 and answear is no..thinking about taking another on tho just mulling it over

Having worked in a few college's I can assure you that a few of the lads are good, don't get me wrong a lot are a waste off space as well. My advice to anybody who is looking for an apprentice would be to go and spend sometime in the college, talk to the learners and watch them working. Probably the best time to do this would be the end of September or early October because you will have more to choose from.

Don't give up on all the next generation, some of them are good in fact some very good it's just that they are in the minority of the ones that end up going to college. Spend the time to look for the right person for you, it's a cost but it can also be an investment.
Thing is we pretty much did that and it still went tits up..its cos there fed stupid stuff early on like how much money there will be earning etc I know this as lads told me there teacher told them..i started on £80 a week and by year 4 I was only on £220 a week..these lads want stupid money after there can throw a bag on there attitude changes..we started our lad on £150 a week then it went up £200 after 8 months then he wanted more so jacked..lad b4 we had for a year and half was a quick learner on skimming but cudnt board to save his life he told us he was leaving we offered him £300 a week as on skimming he cud put prob 5 bags a day on by himsen but he still jacked as wanted more..and guess wat he now works in a timber yard sorting pallets out

Thing is we pretty much did that and it still went tits up..its cos there fed stupid stuff early on like how much money there will be earning etc I know this as lads told me there teacher told them..i started on £80 a week and by year 4 I was only on £220 a week..these lads want stupid money after there can throw a bag on there attitude changes..we started our lad on £150 a week then it went up £200 after 8 months then he wanted more so jacked..lad b4 we had for a year and half was a quick learner on skimming but cudnt board to save his life he told us he was leaving we offered him £300 a week as on skimming he cud put prob 5 bags a day on by himsen but he still jacked as wanted more..and guess wat he now works in a timber yard sorting pallets out
The reality is that if they go and work for Amazon or something similar firm in a warehouse doing robot work for at least £8 an hour that makes them more money than washing buckets, they don't think about the future, all they see is the £ signs.
I got a chap who helps me out every now and then when I am behind, he left college 10 years ago, was best in class, his tutor praise him like f**k, he just done a bathroom for me 9m² all it was with 2 reveals 17 issue raised by customer. And he's got an apprentice out of college wtf, and he's expecting me to pay...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Dont just look to the college apprentice to pass on your skills. A lot of good spreads walked onto site straight out of school, and learned that way.

I spent about a month in college, and only because the plasterer i was with wanted to learn fibrous work. I enjoyed being there, but it didnt compare to working out there with the variety, and real problems you face.

We did take a few college lads on, but the thing noticed that its not as easy as that. You need patience, and some are not good at teaching, and passing on them skills. Especially if like most lads are they are cocky, and think they know it all. How many of them who complete their apprenticeships actualy go out there, and succeed?.

All those years we had lads with us as an apprentice non of them worked out. Its only now with an odd feeling of sadness that i look back and see i was the apprentice all along.

I told all of them look ur guna be on shite money for at least 4 years just to be straight up with them,there all was like ye sound I just want to learn etc but wen say there on £150 and there mate works at Tesco and he's clearing £250 with overtime u cnt compete but there know about it in the end wen there wrking for that for the rest of there lives but there dnt listen

I think a simple fact now is people expect to much to soon and aren't willing to start at the bottom thinking they are above themselves.
Also I've dealt with first hand 2 people who've done the b*****d courses who could barely lay on, didn't have the first clue about prep or general labour and thought they were worth more than £50 a day.
People don't see experience as a incentive no more and aren't willing to graft short term to benefit long term!
My generation and the next are now full of dope smoking dick heads who think there Barry big cheeses.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a simple fact now is people expect to much to soon and aren't willing to start at the bottom thinking they are above themselves.
Also I've dealt with first hand 2 people who've done the b*****d courses who could barely lay on, didn't have the first clue about prep or general labour and thought they were worth more than £50 a day.
People don't see experience as a incentive no more and aren't willing to graft short term to benefit long term!
My generation and the next are now full of dope smoking dick heads who think there Barry big cheeses.?

Shud keep us in work I shud imagine tho in long term as competition out there is shocking..

lol....barry big cheese...not heard that before, charlie big bannana and billy big bollox but never barry big cheese(y)

Shud keep us in work I shud imagine tho in long term as competition out there is shocking..
Thing is Joe public doesn't always know what a finished product should look like hence a lot of people get away with poor standard of work

There's still good ones out there, it's trying to install in them it's a career rather than a job.
Treating them right aswell helps, when I did my time we got treated like shite,you can't do that now. I don't think all these silly courses help either and all the tosh they put out there about earning big bucks, I've had various lads with us that's done a course, none have lasted, but I've had an apprentice with us and he's done his time, been with us 7 years now,earns a good living, runs his own crew for me etc, I've even lent him money for a deposit for a house for him.

Thing is Joe public doesn't always know what a finished product should look like hence a lot of people get away with poor standard of work

Bang on the money that is!!
People don't know the difference and that's why they go for price.
Buying a service is different to a product it's not the same anywhere you buy it and look for cheapest.
Im still learning loads now but establishing myself was the hardest few years, I'm doing ok now and happy where I've got myself but trying to help others with the chance they don't want to know!
You'll struggle to find young ones working 7 days a week, 10+ hour days..come to think of it you'll struggle to find anyone do that now.

just for the record goldtrowel never once gave us the gumption about earning potential....they said find out what the standard rate in your are is and go in around there as going cheap wrecks it and going high means you get no work.

just for the record goldtrowel never once gave us the gumption about earning potential....they said find out what the standard rate in your are is and go in around there as going cheap wrecks it and going high means you get no work.
But how do you find out what the standard rate is.

I know the standard rate for my area is £150 a day...I've had work done and it's usually around this....if you go for loads of quotes and get them all your too low, if you get hardly any of them your too high....I'd use my amazing powers of deduction;)

I know the standard rate for my area is £150 a day...I've had work done and it's usually around this....if you go for loads of quotes and get them all your too low, if you get nearly all of them your too high....I'd use my amazing powers of deduction;)

We don't talk prices on here.;)

I'd never give a client a day rate. Just a builder
wouldn't give a day rate either...thats just for my head...have a look work out it will x amount of day times that by£££ and then add materials on...that's my price.

wouldn't give a day rate either...thats just for my head...have a look work out it will x amount of day times that by£££ and then add materials on...that's my price.
It shud be years tho lodan that u can justify that rate..say there cud get plasterman in for same price

It shud be years tho lodan that u can justify that rate..say there cud get plasterman in for same price
sorry mate you don't decide that...I'm on a job currently getting that rate, the work is good so it makes no difference, customer happy I'm happy.

I'm the one just painting also and it looks pucker no filling required, nice sharp edges, no misses, no problem.

I dnt decide it but I dnt think its rite..that's my opinion
and thats fine mate, not having a go your entitled to your opinion and I know it's only because you love the trade you in.

Status
Not open for further replies.