Plastering and Building

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
@zombie what do you mean what will the builders think? Lol builder is not a trade its just a term used by Cowboys and s**t tradesmen most of the time.

Quite right, it's not a trade. It describes a multi-tradesman, someone who's skills aren't limited to a single trade or skill.

Not directly referring to trades, but sums it up nicely.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

I think as long as you leave a good job for fair money mo one can compain. Yes a painter may be slightly quicker than me but we are already on the job so can start priming skirts for example whilst waiting for plaster to dry. Same as with the bathroom. I boarded and skimmed the ceiling in half a day and we spent the rest of the day fitting the tray and setting out for tiling.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1454780214503.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1454780226124.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1454780234440.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1454780240931.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1454780249245.jpg

E
1ba2b55b533862e5b0182b19b54e5efb.jpg

Cheers mate. The rooms only 1.5x1.6 and the old bath was tiny so did the best we could. Also fitted a sliding door outside but the hsl needs skimming still so didnt take a pic. Will get some before and after pics of the kitchen too. Like i said nothing special but we leave a good job and enjoy what we do.

Cheers mate. The rooms only 1.5x1.6 and the old bath was tiny so did the best we could. Also fitted a sliding door outside but the hsl needs skimming still so didnt take a pic. Will get some before and after pics of the kitchen too. Like i said nothing special but we leave a good job and enjoy what we do.

Do a good job,get recommendations, and you'll be doing more of the same (y) kitchens and bathrooms can make serious money.

A builder said to me years ago that multi skilling is the future. I thought he was talking out of his arse because I've always been taught to pride myself on mastering one trade instead of being a jack of all. Maybe he was right!

i think their is a massive difference between someone that can plaster and a plasterer, i think this is the part most people miss

i think their is a massive difference between someone that can plaster and a plasterer, i think this is the part most people miss
Maybe you're right but how you define the two groups? What's the difference between a plasterer and someone who can plaster? Quality, time spent on tools, or being time served?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The best builder i ever worked for was an engineering teacher before starting his business, very organised, fussy but fair.

someone who can plaster is someone that can do a bit of boarding, skimming and re-skims to a half decent standard, the odd kitchen ceiling but can't make a living from it.

a plasterer is someone who can do all aspects fast and to a high standard, doing it day in and day out trowel work that makes a good healthy profit from it.

if in 5 years beddy is doing kitchens and bathrooms he isn't a plasterer anymore he's a kitchen and bathroom fitter that does the plastering and his mate does the plumbing (for arguments sake)

my old mans a qualified mechanic, he fixes all the families cars and most weekends you'll find him on the drive under somebodies car, in the week he drives HGVs.............. have a guess what his job is

agreed mac. i dont see it as a job. i see it as a skill. you learn a skill and it stays with you where ever you go. im a time served bricklayer of 10 years. 85% of my work is plastering now. ive learnt a new skill and use this skill day in day out as my bread and butter. But i can still pick up a trowel and lay bricks like it was yesterday. i believe plastering is in the details. bead work. corners. brushing in. etc. the rest is down to the individuals limitations/confidence.

if in 5 years beddy is doing kitchens and bathrooms he isn't a plasterer anymore he's a kitchen and bathroom fitter that does the plastering and his mate does the plumbing (for arguments sake)

my old mans a qualified mechanic, he fixes all the families cars and most weekends you'll find him on the drive under somebodies car, in the week he drives HGVs.............. have a guess what his job is
But if someone phones me up to float and set an extension. Am i allowed to do it?

No i know you're not. But if someone rang me up asking for it. Imo Thats no different to them ringing and asking for a kitchen or some new windows etc. If theyre willing to wait then id do it.

personally mate, if i was ringing around to have someone F&S my extension and they told me they were kitchen fitting this week, fitting windows the week after that so might be able to fit me in the week after, id be putting the phone down imvho

No i know you're not. But if someone rang me up asking for it. Imo Thats no different to them ringing and asking for a kitchen or some new windows etc. If theyre willing to wait then id do it.

Are you fensa registered beddy?

I don't think it makes any difference that you kitchen fitting this week then knocking out an extension next week, most people want 1 company/person as a main contractor, not a lot of people able to sort of project manage and fish for quotes, sometimes it does happen when they can't afford to get everything done in one hit and just get the shell up then bring in individual trades as and when. If you'd ring me I wouldn't be able to book you in till early may, only if any cancellation comes up (hope won't be happening), if someone expects a trade to turn up next day to start a job alarm bells should ring.

this is just my opinion btw.

my experience is i haven't come across many that can do a lot of separate jobs to a very high standard.

i just do plastering and rendering and have 12 years behind me and I'm still learning, i don't think id have the mental capacity to throw another trade into the mix.

tools also, just plastering and rendering and have a 7x8 m double unit full of tools, gear and bits and bobs, if i started doing other stuff i wouldn't have the space.

theres a guy who lives at the top of my road, he's a "builder" he also has plastering and rendering splashed on his van at the bottom of a very long fooking list, ring that c**t up and ask him for a price to board and skim a 3 bed semi and mono it in 3 weeks..... better still ask him for a breathable render system but not weber.... he hasn't got a Fooking clue

Are you fensa registered beddy?

No mate. Only been fitting for a friend so far but would look into it if we were doing them more regularly. Its very early days yet

and i don't think I'm alone in saying that
Ive been to see a few jobs lately and got talking about how I'm trying to get into multi trade and all gave a positive response. I personally dont see how just because someone plasters 24-7 means they will leave a better job? i know of plenty s**t plasterers who are busy. I also know a multi trader who can plaster better than all of them

this is just my opinion btw.

my experience is i haven't come across many that can do a lot of separate jobs to a very high standard.

i just do plastering and rendering and have 12 years behind me and I'm still learning, i don't think id have the mental capacity to throw another trade into the mix.

tools also, just plastering and rendering and have a 7x8 m double unit full of tools, gear and bits and bobs, if i started doing other stuff i wouldn't have the space.

theres a guy who lives at the top of my road, he's a "builder" he also has plastering and rendering splashed on his van at the bottom of a very long fooking list, ring that c**t up and ask him for a price to board and skim a 3 bed semi and mono it in 3 weeks..... better still ask him for a breathable render system but not weber.... he hasn't got a Fooking clue
You're right with the tools, I forever turning my tools around in my van.

Ive been to see a few jobs lately and got talking about how I'm trying to get into multi trade and all gave a positive response. I personally dont see how just because someone plasters 24-7 means they will leave a better job? i know of plenty s**t plasterers who are busy. I also know a multi trader who can plaster better than all of them

right so your a plasterer that multi trades, so this week your fitting oak frames and hanging oak doors do you think you'd be able to hang them as fast and to as good a standard than a time served joiner?

I hope no fat f**k*r wants to use that loo. He'd sit on it and s**t on the floor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The best bit is mate the family are all big. Mum dad and two sons. Smallest is minimum of 20stone. Couldn't alter the soil pipe outside due to it going through a conny roof.

right so your a plasterer that multi trades, so this week your fitting oak frames and hanging oak doors do you think you'd be able to hang them as fast and to as good a standard than a time served joiner?
If you read my earlier post ive already covered this. And besides the lad im working with just fitted a full house of new frames and oak doors on the house where we did the garage conversion.

well like i said, just personal preference and experience.

id rather stick to 1 trade and learn all aspects, iv seen plenty of jacks and not many have been up to much.

That's fair enough mate. I jacked in external stuff because it's a ballache on my own and i was sick of battling the weather.

All i know is ive never been so busy or earned money as good .

We work for a property developer and shes had a right hard time finding quality lads to do the work. The last one i only plastered and my mate only did the kitchen. Shes now happy for us to do everything from start to finish. Thats a hell of a lot of work off one job where as plastering it alone would be a couple of weeks.

That's fair enough mate. I jacked in external stuff because it's a ballache on my own and i was sick of battling the weather.

All i know is ive never been so busy or earned money as good .

We work for a property developer and shes had a right hard time finding quality lads to do the work. The last one i only plastered and my mate only did the kitchen. Shes now happy for us to do everything from start to finish. Thats a hell of a lot of work off one job where as plastering it alone would be a couple of weeks.

i wish you all the luck in the world beddy, you've been here longer than me and your a good lad, a little older than myself i think and i always remember telling danny, when he did my site "i want mine like beddys, but in sheffield"

plastering is changing a lot, externally theres good money to be made but it takes time and a bit of movement, obviously your moving in the other direction slightly.

i hope you prove me wrong, don't bite off more than you can chew (to begin with) and good luck with it buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.